May 24, 2006, 11:19 PM
TP 1.21 Gigawatt Needed
Thread OP
Discussion

What Is the best Cable Grease? "World's Best RC" any good?

Hi,
I'm taking out my stowed Ms. Budweiser 1/12 hydro (same as Ms. Lumar) for the summer and need to grease the drive shaft.
Which brand is good?
Anybody try "Worlds Best Rc" http://rcboatparts.com/
There seems to be a slight layer of rust on the shaft, should I replace it?
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2006, 08:39 AM
RC boat Rock Star
I've used several brands, Hughey, Prather and auto parts store greases. The Hughey a lot of people swear by but I left my jar open in my basement and it absorbed moisture out of the air, not a good sign to me. I have some new stuff named "Speed Lube" that I'm trying out this weekend to see how it works. It smells like polishing compound and the same color.
Most people are buying marine grease in small drums and repackaging it. I don't know what they have inside their container.
May 25, 2006, 11:10 AM
Mike,
Boy, is that gonna be a can of worms - lol! The 'best' type lubricant is one that is 'water proof', easy to use, has very low friction, and is readily available (sort of). There is no absolute 'best' (no matter what anyone tells you, only what's 'best' for you).
Rust... Depends on how much there is. A light coating shouldn't be a problem, just remove it, carefully. If there's more than a light coating, especially around bearing points, and you can't remove it easily, replace it.
- 'Doc
May 25, 2006, 12:57 PM
TP 1.21 Gigawatt Needed
Thread OP
Thanks!
How should I take off the rust? Would Sand paper work?
May 26, 2006, 12:05 PM
RCexplained on YouTube
I would not use sandpaper. Try some sort of oil - WD-40 and wipe it down with a cloth.

Ryan
Jun 01, 2006, 10:39 PM
muratic acid then lube. fyi muratic acid is available at some hardware stores and is toned down hydrochloric acid.
Jun 02, 2006, 12:32 AM
I don't know if I'd use any kind of acid on a driveshaft or fittings, especially if it's a flex shaft. If you didn't neutralize all traces of the acid, it would corrode the shaft or nearby parts to failure in a short time.

For a solid shaft lightly rusted--steel wool, with a good cleaning of all steel wool bits and regreasing afterwards is sufficient. A flex shaft shouldn't rust in the first place. I used to use the blue Prather shaft grease and it always worked fine for me.

Rick
Jun 02, 2006, 07:23 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Muratic and hydrochloric acids aren't the safest ones to have around the house. My father used to work with these years ago at his job. Great for cleaning out the plumbing but smells like rotten eggs!
Just give it a light sanding.

Yes, flex cables will rust, I've got a few crusty ones but he's talking about solid shafts here.
Jun 02, 2006, 11:16 PM
Ray Farina
If the shaft is rusted beyond the cleaning up with wd 40 oil, you may want to try bronze wool on it. If you sand a shaft with sandpaper you will probably unbalance it.
Try to use only stainless steel shafts and K & B are also good stainless, that can be picked up at you lacal hobby store. You may want to consider a fishing reel grease, because it is waterproof and lightweight. My son had put a model boats in the water that had what we thought were coated shafts and boy what a mess we had getting the shafts out.Of which we replaced with stainless steel.
Jun 03, 2006, 12:21 AM
That wasn't hydrochloric acid probably sulfuric hence the sulfur smell. I agree that was mostly a joke acid is a bad idea for modelers sinze its hard to get off. Especially if it runs into the wire of the shaft.

Quick Reply