Bringing more success to your questions in three steps. - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by UserName Here, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 24, 2006, 02:05 AM
Mini-HowTo

Bringing more success to your questions in three steps.

Hello Everybody!

I have been noticing alot of posts here that require the people answering to ask additional questions, as well as indefinable titles and information that makes it hard to answer questions. So I have put together a little How-To on writing a succesful, quickly and successfully answered question in this area of the forum.

I. The Title

Your title is very important for describing the situation. Titles such as "Help me" "Question..." "Need a fix" are never acceptable. "Help me trim my plane" "Question about trimming" "Need a servo fix" are better, and "Trouble Trimming a hobbico Nexstar with Futaba Radio" is absolutely perfect. The more info, the better.

II. The Introduction

Your title is informative, it has attracted the attention of those who can answer it, now tell them a brief jist of the problem. Make sure to use accurate spelling, and spell out all words (This is not a chatroom, its a forum! Take the time and write it out) Use formatting to emphasize things, italicize important details, bold model names and specific devices.

III. Details

Add the details, tell people what you are using, they already know your problem, now tell them the situation. Tell them the aircraft you are using, the radio and equipment, and possibly some links to where they can see what your using for a better idea. And of course, pictures never hurt!

For a recap,

Be neat, organized, and detailed. Use pictures and links, and as much info as possible. Spell correctly, and use lots of formatting.

I hope this helps bring even more success to this area of the forum, if you think there is something I should add, tell me!

Good luck everyone!

-John
Last edited by UserName Here; May 24, 2006 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2006, 07:44 AM
Flying RC since 1974
Y'know, we try to teach everyone how to organize an essay in 3rd grade. Maybe your post will teach a few people that their teachers weren't kidding.
May 24, 2006, 09:01 AM
God is good
Moderators,

I agree. This thread should be "stickied"!!!!!
May 24, 2006, 11:54 AM
S.A.D. member
Mini-HowTo - Request a thread to be "stuck" on top of a forum:

1. Click the "Report This Post to a Moderator" button. A new page will be displayed.
2. From the "What would you like the moderator to do?" drop-down menu select "Stick/Unstick this thread" under the "Thread Functions" group.
3. Type a short message in the "Message:" box. Something like: "Dear Mods, I find this thread very useful for the users of RC Groups, so please make it a sticky in the Fuel Planes Beginner's Training Area forum."
4. Click the "Send report" button.

Voila, it's done! BTW, I already reported the thread to the mods requesting it to be stuck.

Ivan
May 24, 2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks Ivan, guess I didnt think of that. I hope this does some people good, like ctdahle said, your teachers are smarter than you think! :P

Have fun everyone,

-John
May 24, 2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks mods for sticking this thread. I hope it does lots of good to everybody. Again, if there is anything to add, tell me.
May 24, 2006, 05:19 PM
S.A.D. member
It's time for the next HowTo:

The OP (Original Poster - the user who started the thread) now has moderator rights in "his" thread once it's stuck. She/he can lock and unlock the thread and delete posts in it. By locking it, users (OP included) will not be able to add posts to it. If the OP decides to lock it, she/he can still post in it - first she/he has to unlock the thread, then make a new post and lock the thread again.

Here's another "tip":

I posted some info (asked a Q, answered a Q, etc.) Now I see that I want to add more info (add Qs, answer more Qs, etc.) Instead of posting again I can hit the "Edit" button and add the info to (or whatever I want to add to or change in) that particular post. Of course if some considerable time has elapsed (one our or more) that might not be a good idea - other users will not know that there's additional info in that thread or particular post. In this case it's better to make a new post.

Ivan
Last edited by ivanc; Sep 29, 2006 at 10:20 AM. Reason: grammar
May 24, 2006, 09:39 PM
Ivan,

I am not too sure what you meant by that first tip, are you implying something towards me? Sorry, but I dont quite get what you were saying at all there. This sounds sarcastic, maybe its just me :/ I am aware I can moderate this thread.. but I dont plan on using those "powers" I dont really see how they help anyone, unless there is an offensive post, of course.
May 24, 2006, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName Here
I am not too sure what you meant by that first tip
I think Ivanc's comment only applies to "stickys".
May 24, 2006, 11:22 PM
S.A.D. member
John,

I'm sorry if my previous post sounds offending - that was not my intention. As you joined RCG recently I wanted to inform you of your "powers" once you have a thread of yours stuck. Actually I find it usefull for all users who have one of their threads stuck.

If you still think it's offending you, let me know and I will edit the post in question.

Ivan
May 24, 2006, 11:37 PM
Ivan,

Not at all, it just read a little wierd. I figured that was all it was but it kind-of sounded like I had offended you somehow, sorry for the mishap, all is well
Sep 28, 2006, 10:45 PM
Firebreather
Excellent thread.. I hope posters will take advantage of its information.

-Jason
Jan 31, 2008, 01:17 PM
Low, slow and dirty
Hi username, how do you get rid of an old thread once you've gotten answers and it doesn't need to be on the forum anymore?
Jan 31, 2008, 02:15 PM
God is good
j,

I'm not usersname, but I can answer that question.

You CAN'T get rid of a thread. Only Moderators can do that.

You can go to "Thread Tools" at the top and chooose Close thread, and no one can add to it anymore. Once closed, you can always go back to "Thread Tools" and reopen it later if you want.
Jan 31, 2008, 11:56 PM
Low, slow and dirty
Thankyou viperpilot, I've been wondering about that for some time