May 23, 2006, 10:24 AM
Carl
Thread OP
Build Log

Giuseppe Ghisleri Ultimate Plans... Building his Ultimate Bipe

Hi all... I've been looking around for some plans for a mid sized Ultimate Bipe and came across a nice set of plans drawn up by Italian Giuseppe Ghisleri. They seem pretty thorough and well laid out so I'm assuming he knows what he's doing... he also has quite a few other plans on the site I got this set off of. But I thought I'd see if anyone else has had any experience building anything off of his plans before. Nothing worse than putting alot of effort into building a bird to find it doesn't fly very well!

His Ultimate plans are for a 1.20 4 Stroke with a wingspan around 156cm. I'm looking at powering it with a .91 4 stroke so have scaled it down roughly 85% to 130cm wingspan.

A while back I put together a small Ace Simple Ultimate which is powered by a .15 and I'm impressed with it so figure a larger scale version would be great! I'm also thinking of putting some of the design concepts of the smaller version into the larger version too perhaps... will have to see how the build goes.

I've attached the plans in PDF format, I assume they're free considering I downloaded them from a free plans website... if anyone has any thoughts on the designer or tips for building this bird I'd be greatful for your reply!

Oh yeah, and if anyone can help out with translating some of the Italian on the plans I'd be very greatfull too!!
Last edited by Michnet76; May 24, 2006 at 06:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2006, 06:54 PM
Carl
Thread OP
Well after looking at the plans over and over and doing some googling of the designers' name to see if his work is legit I decided to take the bull by the horns and start building.

BTW I'm in no rush to build this though... but I'd like to have it finished for Christmas (this year) so if I go weeks without any updates to this thread that'd be why.

I cut out all the top wing ribs the other night and start glueing up the right hand top wing last night. Nothing out of the ordinary happened and being a straight forward design there was nothing tricky to worry about. Just have to make sure it's all straight which after taking off the board this morning looks to be ok.

I'm not going to with 4 servo's for the 4 ailerons like the plan suggests... I'll just put a decent servo in each of the bottom wings and run a connector from the bottom aileron to the top... so that ought to make the top wing a simpler build
May 25, 2006, 07:45 PM
Carl
Thread OP
Shear webbing and leading edge spar added to the top right wing. I added the shear stuff in between the spars to create an 'I' section instead of on the side like most ARF wings seem to be done - I read that it's meant to create a much more rigid setup with the 'I' setup. Started on left wing last night too.
Jun 14, 2006, 12:26 AM
Carl
Thread OP
Since last posting I've finished the top wing and the rear tail surfaces. Nothing much out of the ordinary with the construction.

The wing was quite weak during construction and I was a bit dubious to its strength once in flight and under the stress of aerobatics but after sheeting top and bottom it's much more rigid and hardly has any twist or movement to it now. I used 1.6mm balsa for the ribs of the top wing and some of those were soft balsa and the others hard stuff. I've already cut out the bottom wing ribs and used 2.4mm hard balsa throughout. I'm also considering re-inforcing the bottom wing with a carbon fibre tube/rod, and in thoery the strength of the bottom wing will hopefully keep the top wing in line incase it's not up the task strength wise.
Jun 14, 2006, 12:38 AM
Carl
Thread OP
Tail feathers were also a straight forward construction. The horizontal and vertical stabs are 6.5mm frame and sheeted with 1.5mm and the rudder/elevators are open 9.5mm stock. Still have to sand the edges round and cut the hinge slots and they're done.
Dec 26, 2006, 08:19 PM
Gary
Hi,

Your build looks good so far. I am thinking of building one at the plan scale. I will probably fit a Saito 125 and use the 4 wing mounted servo's. The plan doesn't show the location of the throttle / rudder / elevator servos. I would be interested to know where you mounted them.

Any feedback on building and hopefully flying would be appreciated.

Regards,
Gary.
Jan 06, 2007, 05:01 AM
Carl
Thread OP

I've been slack!

Hi Gary.... I've been a little slack with updating this build log... no one else had replied to it so figured there wasn't anyone interested in following it.

I'm not far off maidening now, only a few small things left to do. The project sat idle for a couple months because I couldn't get ahold of some plywood. I ended up making a trip to the local capital city and got some then continued from there.

I have been taking photo's along the way and will post them in order (the best I can remember!) along with any major issues I had.
Jan 06, 2007, 05:10 AM
Carl
Thread OP
Looks like I didn't take any photo's that I can find of the bottom wing build.

Pretty straight forward, just as the top wing, but I made the ribs out of 2.4mm instead of 1.5mm on the top wing (hope I don't regret it on the top wing!). I also added a ply spare in the centre section for added strength. The servo area was pretty straight forward too. Typical ARF style.
Jan 06, 2007, 05:22 AM
Carl
Thread OP

Fuzz

Skip a few months here...
I ended up deciding to use 3mm plywood for the sides... My Italian isn't very good, but I'm assuming 3mm balsa was intended for the sides. But I like to make my planes strong as my landings aren't always the best! LOL! So 3mm ply oughta give it some durability.

I attacked the sides with a saw cutting drill thinga-me-jig and shaved a whole 174g off the tail end. I'm glad I did now as it's helped out with CoG! I ended up putting some 2mm ply floors on the bottom (see pics) to help keep it all square whilst gluing the top formers and firewall.
Jan 06, 2007, 05:31 AM
Carl
Thread OP
Firewall, which was made up by laminating 2 sheets of 3mm ply, was epoxied on (30min epoxy) along with joining the tail halves. I slide the elevator in the try and keep it all level. The cockpit dash and back wall are just tacked on for the next lot of photo's.

I've also added some 10mm square strips in places for added support and to help keep things straight. Once again, I'm assuming Giuseppe designed this as a light 3D bird, but I'm more of a sport flyer and like to fly fast and flick the plane around a bit so strength is more important than light weight for me.
Jan 06, 2007, 05:41 AM
Carl
Thread OP
After the basic fuzz was together I couldn't help up pop the wings on along with the tail feathers for a first glimpse of what I will end up looking like. Alot of all that is only tacked together.

Obviously before this stage I knocked up the outer cabanes. Instead of going with the intricate style on the plans, I just sandwiched 3.2mm balsa in between two sheets of 1mm ply. Then I left a gap in the area in where the tab on the wings which slip in between the two ply sides and a bolt goes all the way through to join then to the wings... hopefully it'll hold up to the G's of snap rolls etc!!
Jan 06, 2007, 05:56 AM
Carl
Thread OP
Ok, a few more weeks have gone by now and I mustn't have picked up my camera for a while... so the next shot has a fair bit done... I will try to explain what's happened;

I ended up deciding to build the vertical stab into the fuzz before skinning it... that was I could build a slightly more scale looking tail end. A lot of ARF kits have a convex shape going all the way to the back, where as the full scale 10-300 goes convex behind the canopy to an almost concave shape at the verticla stab.

The whole fuzz has been skinned in 2.4mm balsa. I think the plans called for 1.5 or 2mm to skin the top and front sides, but once again I wanted strength over weight. Besides there aren't any formers between the rear of the cockpit and the vert. stab. so 2.4mm is the best choice for strength in that area. I almost has the soak the balsa to get it flexible enough but I finally got there! I did add a 10x10mm peice of balsa along the top between the vert. stab and the cockpit backsheet for the skin to glue on to.

I created an extra 2 formers to go between the cockpit dash and the last of the ply formers along the top of the centre nose section. I ended up deciding not to bother with the foam idea in Giuseppe's plan and just go with the thicker skin and extra formers for strength.

The nose area behind the firewall is (dodgedly) filled in as in the pic.

The wing mounts are also in place. They of the nylon bolt type that attaches to the inside of the fuzz, you can see the screws on the outer ply side there.

Also made of the bottom of the fuzz up.. instead of going with the bevel edging all the way along the bottom of the fuzz, I just skinned the bottom rear flat and blended it into the bevel section at the rear of the bottom wing.

I also put a 6mm (3x3mm) slab on the inside of the buzz up front which has blind nuts ready for the the undercarraige to bolt on to.
Jan 06, 2007, 06:00 AM
Carl
Thread OP
Next photo's are pretty self explanitory.. oh yeah, I also put a 3.2mm doubler in the inside of the wing saddle, visible on these photos. Outer fuzz shapping items added as shown.
Jan 06, 2007, 06:09 AM
Carl
Thread OP
Next of the list was to start thinking of all the control hookups. Installed the throttle setup, a dubro flex cable.

I debated whether to go with a centre elevator control setup that's all hidden in the fuzz or to go the typical ARF style with a horn on the outside. I ended up going with the centre control setup and will go into that setup later.

I ended up putting the elevator servo in the cockpit, the rudder servo which drives a pull pull setup in the centre at the rear of the wing saddle area along with the throttle servo in there too. See photo's for servo tray setups.

I then laminated 3 lots of 3mm ply to make up the inner cabane mounts, then sheeted the top front section of the fuzz.
Jan 06, 2007, 06:16 AM
Carl
Thread OP
Last of the fuzz skinning is on now... one big long sheet of 2.4mm fitted perfect. I'm so glad I chose to scale it down as the sheets of balsa that I can get ahold of fit perfect... any bigger scale then I'd be having to join sheets together to skin it!!

Nothing much else to note here at this stage.

Quick Reply