May 23, 2006, 09:14 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Space Shuttle rocket glider

How light would a 6 foot tall space shuttle have to be to work as an R/C glider? The dream would be to have it lift of with the solid rocket boosters and tank which would seperate and land under parachute while the shuttle would land like a glider under R/C control.
Thanks
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2006, 10:46 AM
What's the total wing area? Wing loading and airfoil shape determine the answer to your question.
May 23, 2006, 11:47 AM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfe
The dream would be to have it lift of with the solid rocket boosters and tank which would seperate and land under parachute while the shuttle would land like a glider under R/C control.
You mean like this:

http://members.aol.com/narshuttle/shuttlehome.htm

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
May 23, 2006, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
I want to make it as perfectly to scale as possilble. I will have to do some research on the wing shape and surface area and scale it down to a 6' tall orbiter. Are there subtle changes in the airfoil that will increase lift and let me increase the weight of the orbiter?
Thanks
May 23, 2006, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ryan,
Same thing only 3 times taller. I want a 6' tall orbiter.
May 23, 2006, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Thanks Ryan,
Same thing only 3 times taller. I want a 6' tall orbiter.
Sweet. Go for it!

Ryan
May 23, 2006, 06:53 PM
bwolfe at that size it would likely be a high power model as it would exceed the upper weight limit for model rocketry. If you are not now a NAR or Tripoli member [if your US, CAR for canuks, whatever for where ever] you will probiblely need to be to launch that behemoth. Thats where you should start. It will likely need level one power at a minimum. 2 outboard G motors for example. If it is down sized to about 4' it may come under the 3.5# limit but that depends entirely on the build technique used. If you want to go for the highpower version then by all means start with one of the above groups and I'll help as much as my experience permits.

Richard
Jun 07, 2006, 09:05 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but thought I'd post on this topic. Currently Hi-tech Aerospace is developing and offering prepayment on 4 different sized r/c rocket boosted shuttles, from 68" to 114". They have posted on rcuniverse, http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=195941.

(my apologies if this forum frowns on crosslinking to other forums)

And also they are available on Ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrabbitboy51QQhtZ-1

They look/sound to be nothing short of completely awesome, and I for one will be buying one. They are supposed to be shipping by the end of this month. I've been in contact with the company and they have been prompt and concise with responses, they are the real deal. Some of the other products they are looking into devloping are equally astounding.
I will see if I can get them to register and post on this forum.
Jun 07, 2006, 03:02 PM
Lets see

It's obvious the fellow is standing beside a cardboard cutout and the text says that they have not built nor tested any? But you can buy one for $500-1500 US

Even if these fellows are legit I doubt they can develope them to the specifacations they state in that time period. It's just not that easy. As they claim they will have these ready by the fall I would suggest that its not that long to wait to see an actual result.

They are also all high power rockets and you know the drill.

Richard
Jun 07, 2006, 06:48 PM
I agree.

I am a betting man, and I'd bet that this thing never sees the light of day. What kind of motors are you going to get to fly this thing? Where is this "and be powered with rocket engines from 10 pounds thrust (each engine) to 50 pounds thrust (each engine). One engine will be in each SRB, and one in the Shuttle. The total burn time will be 8.6 seconds, and the largest Shuttle is estimated to reach an altitude of 3,000 to 4,000 feet." motors come from. Who makes a high power engine these days with a 8+ second burn time?

Ryan
Jun 07, 2006, 09:03 PM
Yes, it seems too good to be true, but they seem to be sincere and confident it will happen and worst comes to worse, if I put a deposit down through paypal, I could get a refund if it doesnt go through. You've got to admit, it would be pretty cool. Maybe I'm just dreaming... but I'll keep my fingers crossed, I was simply providing a possible source for the item the starter of this topic wanted.
Jun 08, 2006, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by just some guy
Yes, it seems too good to be true, but
I hope it works out for you and that they are real but theres no reason for me to believe that this company will still exist 4 months down the road. Further I don't want the hassle and risk of trying to get my money back out of PayPal 4 months down the road. You yourself have no name, no history of posts, no profile, and no crediblity there in. So please don't take this wrong, links are wanted etc. but I personnally have been burned and even if it is only PayPal that gets hit that makes it harder for other users down the way.

I will wait and see. If they are real they will have flying models [with videos there of etc.] and one will be rewarded with an exact knowledge of what one is getting. It will not cost anything to wait.

Richard
Jun 08, 2006, 02:32 PM

Shuttle dudes

Seems like a tough market/business to be in. I mean, how many people out there are good RC pilots, like flying large rockets, have the means to purchase this king of model, and are interested in this type thing? Has to be a number you could count on one hand.

Ryan
Jun 08, 2006, 04:43 PM
Another thing to take into consideration is that at 3000' even the largest one will be a teensy-weensy spec in the sky.
Jun 08, 2006, 05:24 PM
Quote:
How light would a 6 foot tall space shuttle have to be to work as an R/C glider? The dream would be to have it lift of with the solid rocket boosters and tank which would seperate and land under parachute while the shuttle would land like a glider under R/C control.
Thanks
Spend some time looking over here: Andy's Shuttle

Quick Reply