Jul 17, 2002, 06:00 AM
Thread OP

TM maiden flight ends at 60'

Well as a newbie to electric flight, finally finished my Tiger Moth (using much of the great advice here on ezone) and was itching to fly it. To much wind lately in the evenings so I decided for a dawn patrol this morning. Took my TM and two battery packs down to the local soccer/baseball field. After a few short hop test flights, I took off and managed to lap the fields a couple times before bringing it down successfully to change the batteries. I noticed a slight breezed coming up, but this was just to great. So in with the second pack, up goes the plane. I notice the breeze picking up, so I head the plane back to land when a sudden gust blows my plane right into a tree 60' high!

Major bummer, I try throwing rocks and sticks to no avail. Then it was time to go to work. I hate it when life gets in the way of the important things. Hopefully the plane is still there after work when I can try some other things to get it down.

PS. I want to thank everybody here for all the wonderful advice. I'm sure the construction of my TM would not have gone as well without you all. Now I've just got to get my plane back.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2002, 07:19 AM
It's not the winds fault, blame it on the tree. Sounds like you're flying around trees that move and gulp innocent planes out of the air. Be careful,,,,,,hope you get the TM back. Keep us posted.
Jul 17, 2002, 07:23 AM
At least you got in one successful flight before the wind gotcha. When I taught myself to fly many years ago I had to climb trees after each of the first three takeoffs. Never got to try a landing until the fourth flight!

Be sure to put your name and address inside the plane.
Jul 17, 2002, 07:28 AM
Captain Carnage says......

peanuts

well if you remember charlie brown had his hated kite eating tree
from what i've seen in here there are alot more plane eating trees
than kite eaters

i hope its there when ya get back
Jul 17, 2002, 08:12 AM
Thread OP
doh, I new I forgot one of the mods:
name-in-plane

well I guess we learn from our mistakes. Looks like I'll be learning a lot.
Jul 17, 2002, 08:27 AM
Trust me my friend, there's a lifetime of learning to be found here! My first two flights finished in the towering trees by my parent's house (not a good flying location I learned). I thought I was smarter on the third flight and picked a new location that was wide open. After flying for about 10 minutes, I came around for the landing and I swear a tree immediatley grew out of the ground to about 15 feet and swallowed my plane! The only tree around (and a tiny one at that) and it was behind me the whole time so I never saw it until I came around to land! I don't think I could hit that tree again if I TRIED! I definately felt like Charlie Brown that day. You Blockhead!

You claim to be a "newbie to electrirc flight." Is this your first RC plane? Or have you flown other RC planes (gas powered, slope soareres, gliders) and are just trying electrics for the first time like I am?

If you are new to RC planes, I highly highly recommend you download a free copy of the FMS flight simulator and spend about $30 on a cable to connect your transmitter. There is no quicker or easier way to learn the sticks.
Jul 17, 2002, 11:51 AM
Rob,

Not that i've ever got a plane stuck in a tree (G) but here are a couple of ideas.

16 foot ext ladder and 16 foot tree saw. Don't forget to secure ladder to tree and watch for power lines of course!

Spool of string with something tied to the end of it. Throw over branch plane is stuck on and shake. Don't shake too hard or branch may come down with plane (don't ask)

go talk to local fire department about retrieving and see if they would do a goodwill mission and chalk it up as a training exercise for cat rescue or something.

hope you get the tmoth back and in one piece. They are great little airplanes. YOu just learned a valuable lesson about the tigermoth and other light planes. Altitude + wind + tree = trouble

I've watched mine flying towards a tree and thought: I've got it under control, I think I can turn in time, getting too close, CRAP!
Jul 17, 2002, 01:25 PM
Crashing IS Flying
Been there, done that with my first plane a Multiplex cub. I have since learnt to keep it close in when flying near trees.

The time I did it I had to drive home, load up a set of ladders and cary them all the way across a public park to rescue it

It was all a bit embrassing. I almost gave the hobby up after that. Thank goodness I didn't as it's give me so much joy since.

Regards

Jerry
Jul 17, 2002, 01:57 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
By chance did you see my Firebird XL up there next to your TM?
Jul 17, 2002, 02:13 PM

i learned my lesson: fly high...

i believe that the intial reaction of new flyers (like myself) is to keep the plane low to the ground (30 to 50 feet) since we are apprehensive of putting it up to high altitudes;

i spent my first 10 to 15 flights chasing my plane and gettin it out of small trees (luckily no big trees by where i was flying);

one day i got sick of it and took my plane up to about 100 feet; i noticed the immediate benefits of being able to get out of trouble;

while being at high altitude won't solve your problems of too much wind, you really should be above tree level throughout most of your flight, particularly when ypu are in the vicinity of trees;

i do hope you get it out; any chance of climbing the tree (or getting a kid) and then taking a stick and jabbing it free?

good luck!!!
Jul 17, 2002, 05:21 PM

HERE HERE BURGAN WELL SAID

ALTITUDE = OPTIONS

FIRST RULE OF AIR COMBAT

truly one of the first things they teach in acm is that at high alt
you have more time to react to a bad situation

and when you get ailerons it can get even worse (flat spins)

i have a buddy that laughs at me for gettin up about 100 to 150 feet, but i have never crashed like him just flyin at low level and misjudging stalls during slow turns, and pummeling the sod
not to mention the plane.

operations call for a hard deck...(level above ground at which no manuevering will occur except basic flight)
all though this is not the case in the park or backyard at times using this thought can help ya think about "setting up " for next move or manuever.
its a smart idea
Jul 17, 2002, 06:24 PM
Thread OP

Happiness - Sort of

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, some kite string, a rock and a cheering section did the trick. I showed at the field after work with a little league baseball game in full swing as I tried to get my plane. My poor TM was up in that tree almost all alone except for a crow just laughing at me. Several throws and yanks later my plane was down. Funny, if it hadn't been for my fishing line flying wires it probably would have come down in one piece, but they got caught up on some small branches actually causing the damage.

Dr Frankenstein, scalpel and epoxy please

PS: any suggestions on how to repair the wing and maintain dihedral etc. would be greatly appreciated. Please remember I'm a newbie to model building as well as flying.
Last edited by robs; Jul 17, 2002 at 06:44 PM.
Jul 17, 2002, 07:19 PM

OUCH!!!!

hmmm
fortunately for me I have a few xtra dollars at this point to go to tower hobbies and order a new wing set

but if bucks is the problem i would try some deli tray splints
and titepond pu or probond
or maybe some 1/64" birch plywood (or balsa) wet it for about an hour then form it in to shape and dihedral and use a hair dryer to dry it in to shape (takes about 2 hours total process)
then use it as a splint with some epoxy or probond

deli tray and clear 2" packing tape? might work ? might be faster

as for resetting the diherdal get out the manual and protractor and tape every thing in to a fixed position that allows you to glue it up

still if ya got the money...get a new wing set and save old wing for scratchies or patchies
but don't go running off right away ...i'm sure somebody has fixed one as bad as this b4 and will give you just the right answer that's inexpensive and fast

basketcase, genovia, others???????

any ideas?? silk and epoxy?

at least the pilots made it down okay
Jul 17, 2002, 08:46 PM
Suspended Account
robs - that's an easy fix-er-up... just get some oderless CA and patch it back together.. make sure it's oderless or it will eat away the foam though. you could add a bit of clear strapping tape to the bottom side of each wing for a little extra strength...
Jul 18, 2002, 03:43 AM
Looks worse than it is...

Nice clean breaks, Arbo's advice is good, also you could use 5-min epoxy...sparingly becouse of weight, or Elmers Pro-bond.

I haven't tried this with the PB, but with the epoxy, this works great...put the pieces together the best you can, smear some epoxy on the break, and then put masking tape over it to spread it out...the epoxy will dry nice and smooth...and clear. Pull the masking tape off and it should look pretty decent.

Trees can be very mean and dangerous, but I seem to have more trouble with powerlines...

Quick Reply