Jul 16, 2002, 08:39 AM
Thread OP

GWS Beaver Wing Folded On Takeoff

I bought the GWS beaver and on the first takeoff the wing snapped in half when it reached about 5 feet off the ground. I read the posts about using packing tape to support the wing if aerobatics where going to be used. I wanted the Beaver a slow flyer not performance. After my experience with the CG problem with the Zero and now this, I am starting to wonder if GWS should stick to engines and quit producing planes
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2002, 08:57 AM

gws

i have a gws zero,tigermoth

and i have never had a problem with the cg on my zero
you should try to take more care putting them together
Jul 16, 2002, 09:56 AM
I have a Beaver, still in the box, and the wings are not much different than the Cub I have, if not exactly the same. They should fly without tape as long as you don't put too much stress on them. I suspect one of the following:

∑ You over controlled the elevator on takeoff. I did this once or twice and folded wings. With wind itís even more of an issue. Most likely.

∑ The wings where defective. Possible. Get another set from Horizon Hobby and try again.

∑ There was a small crack you did not see and the stress make it release.

The Beaver is a good plane, but itís going to be a bit tricky to fly before you get use to it. Should be much easier to fly than the Zero.

My advice: Get new wings, fix your plane, get on with life.
Jul 16, 2002, 12:21 PM
Ummm, hate to hear this. I did my best to fold them after I found them fluttering and couldn't do it. My plane was painted, I used epoxy on it and 8 cell non standard batteries so it already had a lot of weight. Were the struts too long? Did you use the plastic support? Where was the break? I would get with Horizon, they are great to deal with.
Jul 16, 2002, 03:44 PM
Thread OP

GWS Beaver Wing Folded On Takeoff

Clarke: SO you are saying that the CEO was incorrect with regard to the CG being printed incorrectly? I did get my Zero back on the ground without cracking it up. Pretty good flying I would say considering the vast majority of folks did not. Horizon said to send it to them. Mine was painted as well and did make the wing stronger than it was out of the box. No wind that day and I had relaxed the elevator after takeoff.

Chris
Jul 16, 2002, 03:57 PM
I wiped out my Zero as well, not having the correct CG, and not being experienced enough to figure that out in time. Itís never really flown well after that.

When can I expect my new Zero?
Jul 16, 2002, 05:04 PM
the journey is the reward

Sorry to hear that.

"There was a small crack you did not see and the stress make it release. "

This happened to me with my first GWS Cub. In fact the plane was in the cradle (field box) when the wind picked up and tore the wing off on one side.

I had notice the fine crack on the LE but gave it no mind.

I now reinforce all GWS wings along the LE and TE with packing tape. Works well as my GWS Pico 280 has many stress fracures but the tape stops them from running to far and the wing is still solid in the air.

HH
Jul 17, 2002, 01:08 AM
folding a wing on a model with functional struts seem most unlikely....how could the center-section be that defective and not noticeable.... it does have functional struts, don't it ...... kw
Jul 21, 2002, 11:20 PM

Beaver wing that should've folded but didn't

I was flying my Beaver in very stiff winds today... much too strong to fly in really, but for circumstances out of my control I couldn't fly yesterday at all and two days in a row without flying is far too long.

In any event after I ran the first battery down I landed and didn't have the guts to put it up again. I picked up the plane and found that the port side strut came out of the mount on the top side in flight. Under that wind and those stresses I'm rather surprised the wing DIDN'T fold. I'm sure it would have had I not just reinforced both the LE and TE with 1" carbon fiber tape to rid the plane of flutter and allow more aerobatic manuvers. I flew it for a while w/o that and was impressed even then how well the wing held.

I should mention, however, my GW Cub with exactly the same wing DID fold on me. But after a zillion flights. And I was using the plane to train other flyers with so it had been repaired at least a dozen times. AND the wing fold was because of full up elevator after a long full power dive the plane should have never been in. And THAT wing was not reinforced.

Aaron
Aug 08, 2002, 05:11 PM

Tape LE and TE?

I am assembling my Beaver right now and was concerned about the wing strength as well. I was wondering what is carbon fiber tape? Is this different then filiment tape? Would it be best to run a carbon fiber rod (spar) along the LE with tape holding it on?

The other thing that bugs me is that the GWS glue never seems to dry! I applied a glop to the wing to connect the strut holder and after 16 hours it's still soft and unset.
Aug 08, 2002, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KillerWatt
folding a wing on a model with functional struts seem most unlikely....how could the center-section be that defective and not noticeable.... it does have functional struts, don't it ...... kw
The "functional struts" are attached to the BOTTOM of the wing with that crap GWS glue holding a plastic and foam eyelet. I am very concerned about this connection. If I can figure out a way to make this connection STRONG then the Beaver should be "unfoldable".
Aug 08, 2002, 05:43 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Had the same problem with GWS glue. Trash it and use 5-min epoxy sparingly.
Latest blog entry: FunAero 1/5th scale SE-5a
Aug 08, 2002, 08:47 PM
Space Coast USA
You can attach those foam/plastic pieces with either epoxy or ProBond. Either will give a permenant attachement that will tear out the foam before the joint lets go.

If you want some wing protection, just fold a piece of 2" clear packing tape around the leading and trailing edges. It won't stop the flutter.

Remeber to use CA on the bamboo to strut fitting connection.
hoppy
Aug 08, 2002, 08:54 PM
I attemped to use the GWS Glue on another plane and had a control horn failure, after that no more. Probond or 5 minute epoxy is all I used on my Beaver or any other foamies that I build. No problems so far monn. Using that stuff on struts IMHO is asking for problems.
Aug 08, 2002, 09:33 PM
I put my cub together using small dowels the length of the wing and used a piece of brass tubing in the center to set the dihedral and secure the dowels. I cannot remember the size of the dowels but they are the same size as the Wattage Max used. These a/c had the same wing folding problems until they beefed up the wing with dowels. I think they went to fiberglass rods, but spruce dowels work fine. I can loop my Cub and have flown it a bunch.
I have a beaver and can see where the same wing my present some problems, so I would not fly it without the dowel on the leading edge at least. Trailing edge might be good too, since this airplane will be several ounces heavier than the cub and should have plenty of power to pull the extra weight of dowels.
I weighed the fuse and motor and there is probably an extra 2-3 ounces in these two pieces alone, not even considering a heavier battery. I think I'll start with an IPS motor, going as light as possible, as see hoe it does. It shouldl fly fine, just like the cub, with that weight. I plan to use the motor on something else anyway.

Quick Reply