Feb 06, 2007, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciberjohn
And I sure miss flying mine.....here it is: http://www.ciberjohn.com/gal/display...?album=4&pos=0
Nice music great video.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2008, 01:05 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Just got a maxi swift any updates on people flying them
Jun 05, 2008, 03:38 PM
BadPilot
xairflyer,

It looks like an old thread. I have had a mini swift for 6 months and am about to put together my maxi this weekend. I loved the mini flew like a champ and took quite a beating, see I was new to flying at that time. My buddy has the swiftII and it flies like a true glider.....

John
Jun 06, 2008, 04:45 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Just got a swiftII and it is much better than the big one, really fast and rolls great
Jun 07, 2008, 12:14 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer
Just got a swiftII and it is much better than the big one, really fast and rolls great
So you have both the Maxi and the Swift II? I am not real concerned about its aerobatics, but more with its ability to just glide/sail. I have a couple of Swift II's but am interested in the Maxi. No one talks about them. Do they just suck or not very well known?

Thanks,
Diggs
Jun 08, 2008, 01:34 AM
Unshaven yokel
You should buy a maxi and do a review on ATTF as a glider. Also do an episode on gliders

What's your setup on your swift? I think I had 4-5 ounce wing loading on mine. I think with a more fine tuned CG it could thermal better. Kinda hard to read a wing for sailing tho.
Jun 08, 2008, 11:29 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
I would love to do a review, but the BUY part is what is keeping me from doing that. I would gladly do one if it were provided to us on the show.

I am running the Hacker A20-30M with an 8x6 E APC prop, TP 3S 1320 and an el cheapo ESC. The thing will float forever and I can set the TX down during flight if I have enough altitude. I assume the Maxi is similar just larger, but would like some input before I bought one.

Diggs
Jul 30, 2008, 09:24 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Yeah, the lack of information on the Maxi, and more importantly peoples oppinion of it is a bit frustrating. Maybe many people are just too intimidated by the size of the things to risk buying one.
I love throwing my Swift II around (I put eleven 900mAH packs through it this morning...what a blast).
I enjoyed it soo much that when I got home I immediately ordered a "Metal Racer" Maxi....I hope I haven't made a mistake.
Aug 12, 2008, 11:01 PM
The Penultimate flyer
The Maxi arrived a couple days ago, and to quote my favourite scholar, "Maybe many people are just too intimidated by the size of the things to risk buying one".

I can see why, this thing is HUGE.

I'll get it built ASAP and we may just discover why nobody talks about Maxis in RCG......I hope it's just because they're really really shy.
Aug 13, 2008, 05:31 AM
Bleriot's R Us
I really enjoy flying my maxi now that I have it sorted, messed about at the start with mini servos etc but this thing has big surfaces and mini servos are no good.
I now have fitted two JR 591's and it is much better, I am presently flying with a 2217-6T motor 8x4apc prop 26A (295w) with a 3 cell 1800 long max battery.

Going to upgrade the motor to a 2814-5 or 6 for more speed.

I have the CG at 325mm bit further back than they show, I have found with all wings that both elevons need to be slightly up
Aug 13, 2008, 07:21 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Thanks for the info xairflyer,
I was about to start the build today, but realised that before I do, I need to decide if I'm going to mount the servos on top or bottom...any suggestions ?

I also need to decide if I'm going to follow through on my plan to paint the bottom surface high vis FLOURESCENT PINK.
It's practical, but I'm not sure if I'm prepared to put up with all the ridicule.
Aug 13, 2008, 08:01 AM
Bleriot's R Us
I put the servos on the bottom, but used some plastic cover plates to protect the arms.

I covered the whole bottom of the wing with bullet tape (homebase strapping tape) but left it white, so long as there is some colour on the top it is very easy to see.

The guys I fly with call it the TARGET when we are having wing battles !
Aug 14, 2008, 12:44 AM
The Penultimate flyer
My Maxis belly is now SHOCKING PINK !!!
With her black ailerons and vertical stabs, she's a thing of rare beauty.

I can't help but smile every time I catch sight of it.
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 14, 2008 at 01:16 AM.
Aug 17, 2008, 06:26 AM
The Penultimate flyer
HELP !!!
This question goes out to anyone thats ever flown a Swift Maxi.
I'm still building my Maxi, but I'm stuck on one thing.

Should I put in some down thrust during the build process ?

It's easy to do now, but will be alot trickier to do if I leave it until after it's finished.
Yes I know I can stick some washers under the motor mounts, but I'd prefer to have the motor pointing in the correct direction right from the start

The reason I ask is, I've got a Swift II that I've had to give a ridiculous amount of down thrust to correct it's tendency to want to nose up when throttle is applied.
With the down thrust and correct CG, the Swift II flys almost perfectly now, and glides with no stick inputs.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope.
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 19, 2008 at 08:33 PM.
Aug 17, 2008, 02:05 PM
Bleriot's R Us
I dont have any down thrust in mine and it flys fine

Quick Reply