Jul 15, 2002, 04:44 PM
Designing on the edge
Thread OP

Dare Sopwith Camel

Here is a photo of the model so far. Covered with Polyspan. Servos, motor and the red and white cowl striping is yet to come. I plan pull pull ailerons on all 4 from a single servo in the fuse. I had to replace the supplied vac formed cowl with a built up one because their cowl was too SMALL!
The wheels are Williams Bros here but I may replace them with my balsa/ply and 1/2" neoprene foam tire wheels later because they are really heavy.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2002, 04:46 PM
Designing on the edge
Thread OP
Here is another view.
Jul 15, 2002, 04:47 PM
Designing on the edge
Thread OP
And one more view
Jul 15, 2002, 06:47 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Ooh! I like it! please post some closeup pictures of the aileron linkage when you can, it sounds fascinating. Did you paint it or was the covering already green?
Jul 15, 2002, 07:32 PM
Designing on the edge
Thread OP
Gerald,
Thanks, this one has been a real challenge. I've been working on it off and on for a year. The color is airbrushed on. Olive Drab dope.
I will post the aileron linkages when I get them done.
Jul 15, 2002, 08:01 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Kurt, it looks great. Was it worth it? I have heard this kit is a bear to build.
Jul 15, 2002, 08:41 PM
Designing on the edge
Thread OP
Thanks, Greg,
I really can not recommend this kit. The instructions are 3 - 4 pages long and the plan must be studied and studied before attempting anything. It is a bear to build and I am not at all sure how it will hold up. The wings are very weak. Leading edge stock is 1/8" dowel! The fuse is so overbuilt that it could take a tank running over it. The wing attachments are very intricate using epoxied brass tubing that mate with music wire also in brass tubes. All these are also bound with kevlar fishing line as well. The music wire cabane struts requre that the top wing center section to be attached to the fuse before it is covered. Wing tips are made from a single sheet of 1/32" balsa with a strip of basswood to form the edge. These wing tips won't take any hit at all.

But that said after my long journey, I am begining to fall for this plane. I must admit that it really looks neat. I have always loved the Camel.

AerodromeRC may do a Camel of either Peter Rake's or my design in the next year. Much easier to build I assure you.
Jul 15, 2002, 09:37 PM
Go Wallabies!

support for a Camel

I have to agree the camel is a really fabulous WW1 fighter it always has such presence in the air.

hope it flies as good as it looks.

Craig
Jul 16, 2002, 01:22 AM
Leave me alone!
That's great! What are the specs?
Jul 16, 2002, 09:08 AM

Your Camel/Dare Kits

Great looking Camel!!!!!!

For wheels, you might want to try balsa disc "pulleys" with medium diameter screeen door spline tires and small nylon tubing bearings.Cut the spline at an angle so that the ends glue together smoothly. These don't weight much and look good.

Dare kit plans are sparce but Pat Tritle gladly provides advice on the ones he designed. I'm getting ready to start a Dare DVII and had trouble interpreting cabane strut arrangements from side view. There are no 3/4 or isometric views. It helped to go to photos of DVII's various internet sites to understand this detail.

I imagine that the Camel is hard to keep from tail heaviness, be careful. Anxious to see how it flies. Don't forget down and right thrust.
Jul 16, 2002, 10:36 AM
Designing on the edge
Thread OP
Dreamer,
Here are the specs so far:
Designed by Andrew Hewitt (UK) for gas or diesel power.
42" Wingspan
550 Sq. In. wing area
Estimated AUW Weight 38-40 Oz.
Wing loading of ~10 oz. per S.F.
Motor Graupner Speed 480 ( not a long can s400) geared 3.4:1
Castle Creations ESC. Pixie 20
Prop 12x8 APC
Batteries 8x 1300 in a custom arrangement. ( maybe inside the cowl)
Hitec Super Slim Receiver
Sep 25, 2002, 02:54 PM
Designing on the edge
Thread OP

She flys!

Hi All,

I can report that the bird flys! She took off with a little ground instability and needed a fair amount of up elevator to keep her from nosing over on takeoff. As she rose off the runway, I left off the elevator and up she went. She was slower than expected but very stately in the air. The pull-pull ailerons worked perfectly. The undercamber and tons of rigging make a draggy model. Still she was easy to fly and had lots of power to hang around. I brought her back in with white knuckles, hoping for a better landing than I was used to in my Great Planes Flight Simmulator, Camel. Really no problem. After she was on the pavement, I let go of the elevator a little too early and she went tail high but no damage.

WS 42"
Length 27.5"
Covered in Polyspan clear doped then sprayed upper surfaces with colored dope. Underside of wings are coated with clear dope only.
Williams Bros. Wheels.
weight 34 oz.
wing area 550 Sq. in.
wing loading 8.9 Oz PSF
Prop 12x8
Motor/gearbox : Graupner Speed 480BB Geared 3.45:1
ESC Great Planes GP 20
Batteries ( 7x 600 mah) These are probably not the final set but they are what I have now.
Servos 2 HS 55 for the pull-pull rudder and pull-pull elevator(s), 1 HS-81 for the pull-pull ailerons (all 4).
I mounted the single aileron servo in the fuse in the U/C area. Kevar fishing line was used to attach the ailerons. I used alu tubes to route the lines thru the wings. The last leg of the lines simply go underneath the bottom leading edge. Simple and while not scale, it works.
Last edited by AerodromeRC; Sep 25, 2002 at 03:08 PM.
Sep 25, 2002, 03:05 PM
Designing on the edge
Thread OP
Here is another photo in the air.

BTW, more informatin will be posted on my wb site later today.
Sep 25, 2002, 03:10 PM
Designing on the edge
Thread OP
Another
Sep 25, 2002, 03:13 PM
Designing on the edge
Thread OP
Here she is coming in to land.

Quick Reply