May 14, 2006, 05:51 AM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
Thread OP
Rave

MS Hornet, the die hard micro, thread 1

MS Hornet, the die hard micro, thread 1

Time will tell...

Discuss and add info about upgrades, setups, mods, links.
Or just post and show off your Hornets. Oh and don't forget those videos!
Other micro cross over and hybrid discussion welcome.

Having trouble finding info in this growing thread? (+137 pages of +2000 posts)
Try the 'Search this thread' link above .

Resources:

matthias hornet_x3d_pro (english translated)

Hornet X 3D review by Eric Larson (site down for good?)
Hornet II review by Eric Larson (site down for good?)
9 top tips, the magic list for a sweet successful Hornet X-3D experience in this post.
raynet11's blog includes X-3D
www.ms-helituning.com Detailed build guide for the Hornet X 3D
R/C Helicopter Projects and Conversions Custom Hybrid builds and extensive info, good site!
MS Composit Hornet X II, CP and 3D RC Heli Informaiton Page - HelitTown.COM by EddieMoth (new addition)
Belt drive conversion posts

Stretch X-3D 4s XL
Stock 3s vs XL-4s rough compare tests

Some Video links

Other Hornet legacy knowlegde databases -1-, -2- & -3-(sadly lost and gone for good)

How to trace and fix vibration issues plus links (can be applied to any heli).

Hornet owners world map: http://www.frappr.com/hornetgroup

Not sure what heli to get? Read the Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide
Helicopter Power & Setup Calculator tool, sorts out your RPM, motors and pinions etc.

========================
Scale Warbird Bell 'Huey' UH-1 Attack Helicopter site page (Piccornet hybrid).
Scale Warbird OH-58A Kiowa site page (Piccornet hybrid).
Scale Warbird AH1-S Cobra Gunship site page (Piccornet hybrid).
Scale Schweizer 300 Hornet FP thread.
Scale Old CP1 JMD Bell 222/Airwolf thread, plus HBirdV2 Airwolf fuse thread.
Scale Ecureuil AS 350, 3 blade MS X-3D variant, site page and thread.

New option for a similar micro CP experience, read the LAHeli MaxIR/Ricco history with MSc.
========================
Last edited by DarkHorse; Feb 06, 2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: updated...
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2006, 05:53 AM
Renewed interest
I wonder how many of us are left with hornets ?
Long live the king of the micros!
May 14, 2006, 05:58 AM
MINE!
I just picked up on old hornet today.. it was a FP but the guy had done the CP upgrade.. It was in a bit of a bad way but I nearly have it back to a flyable condition

Thanks for the links I have been trying to find some info all week...

I will go well with my TREX and Dragonfly..
May 14, 2006, 06:27 AM
Thread OP
Anyone purchasing any MS kits new or used be aware that prices are falling but I'm not clear about the official numbers . Many web sites are yet to update, so confirm those prices before hand and avoid paying over the odds .

MS in Europe www.mscomposit.com quotes $136 / 114 Euro. The site is a bit slow to navigate, MS spare parts are priced now cheaper and the Ali MS tuning parts are also slightly cheaper.

Mr Carbon MS-USA RR post got deleted? Still isn't reflected on their web site yet?
Hornet X-3D Kits $109.99
XFP KIT $79.99
Hornet Parts @ 40% OFF List prices
Hornet Upgrade parts @ 40% OFF
Tsunami Brushless w/gear $49.99
Stinger 6 Kits $210
May 14, 2006, 06:43 AM
MINE!
The price was right on this one..

Could I use the FP blades from the Hornet on my Feda Dragonfly .. also FP??
May 14, 2006, 07:33 AM
2 MANY TOYS :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Molloy
The price was right on this one..

Could I use the FP blades from the Hornet on my Feda Dragonfly .. also FP??
I've done that and I think you like the result.

Cheers - Boyd
Last edited by Hoverup; May 14, 2006 at 08:45 AM.
May 14, 2006, 07:36 AM
Thread OP
Yes for sure , FP MS-080 CF blades are my preferred choice of blade on my old Piccolo FP. Not for the crash happy as they shatter on impact with solid objects and use fat plastic washers to avoid mount breaks. Need to re-gear with larger pinion for higher hover rpm. 250g heli hovers at 1500 rpm and a 300g heli hovers at 1800 rpm.
May 14, 2006, 08:07 AM
Darkhorse....nice to see you try to get some hornet chat goin' again.

The video page you give a link too, is that your page?

I noticed that you (or the one that made the page) has put a link to one of my videos...but the video isn't there anymore as i took it from my homepage.

So, if it is your page you might want to alter the link to :

Hornet MScomposit inverted touch grass (6 min 18 sec)

It's my new video and it's nicer...it doesn't have my guitar solo on it anymore though

And here's a tip for the hornet users....file the little stubs of the servo plate (x3d) and glue magnets....glue magnets on the inside of the canopy too.
You'll be amazed at how well the canopy stays on and how easy it is to take it off and put it in place...you do need some neodiums but i suspect alot of people around here have tried to make a brushless themselfes so the magnets shouldn't be to big of a problem
May 14, 2006, 08:31 AM
EXCELLENT! thanks for starting a thread! i have the original FP that's never flown (still rebuilding after some scumbags broke into my flat and broke the heli - never had time to fix it since...but i'm trying now!)
hoping to put up pics this week! once i've dusted everything and made her presentable!
upgrades on it are:
JOHNK's upgarded tail and metal shaft.
tried to do Walt Ferrar's flybarless design but it was too complicated for me using a quickUK's cnc 30 size tail so gave up.
May 14, 2006, 08:33 AM
...so...what DID happen with the Hornet? how come it's not popular anymore? especially with Hornet-heli.com? that used to be really busy with JohnK and walt F making big contributions? the forum still works but it's dead there now!
May 14, 2006, 08:37 AM
Thread OP
> how come it's not popular anymore?
I think cheap chinese labour, poor MS price structure and promotion.

@mattijs321 > it doesn't have my guitar solo
Oh yea... link is fixed , I still hear a woman singing over guitar.
Great flying there and a top tip

HXFP: I couldn't get on with the stock FP head design, too much teeter. Some tips for HX-FP info plus rare HXFP video footage .
May 14, 2006, 08:43 AM
Way to go DarkHorse, New Hornet thread was bound to happen.

Building my new H2 with all the usuals, [brushless-GY240-etc,etc] but I would really like to find an upgrade tail boom. Heli-Hobby has the HH2218 Platinum Plus Hornet Boom but it has been out of stock for ever. Any recomendations?
THX
Last edited by choppernut; May 14, 2006 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling
May 14, 2006, 08:49 AM
2 MANY TOYS :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppernut
Way to go DarkHorse, New Hornet thread was bound to happen.

Building my new H2 with all the usuals, [brushless-GY240-etc,etc] but I would really like to find an upgrade tail boom. Heli-Hobby has the HH2218 Platinum Plus Hornet Boom but it has been out of stock for ever. Any recomendations?
THX
I believe you will find that there are aluminum arrow shafts that will do the job for a lot less money than the HellHobby part.

Cheers - Boyd
May 14, 2006, 08:52 AM
Thread OP
I sent choppernut a PM with a link earlier.

Tail boom CF arrow shaft replacements
...The HX3D & H2 style booms are outer diameter is actually 7.5mm

Goldtip Graphite XT Arrow Shafts 6.24, which look the same spec as these:
Specs: Gold Tip XT Hunter Hardwoods Arrow Shafts
75/95 - Weight 9.7 gr / in., Spine .340",
O.D. .300"/7.62mm, I.D. .246"/6.23mm, Length 32"/813mm
The outer diameter is a tighter snug fit. The inner diameter is slighty too large and I may use a layer of sticky tape around the bearings to reduce any rattle etc. A 320mm length weighs just over 7g. The shaft is not woven CF like the stock boom, it is a smooth matt black finish with a single removable sticky label. Arrow shafts are designed to have impact resistance and is not likely to be quite as strong when struck by a high speed rotor blade. But is very straight and about the same stiffness. You can get 2 booms per shaft blank, which is also easy to cut with a hacksaw.
May 14, 2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info. So basicly I am probably better off sticking with the stock boom.

Had my concerns because I still remember a few years back with my HFP sliceing the tail boom in half with a blade strike during setup. Replace it with Arrow shaft and never replace anything again. Well, except for that one time when I thought I could fly through solid objects.

Anyway I cant begin to even describe how great these Hornets are, Worth all the $ at any price compared to the popular others. Tons more fly time and a lot less repair time and far as I am concerned.

Thanks Again

Quick Reply