May 14, 2006, 04:30 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobbyzone Super Cub

What is everyones impressions about the new Super-Cub being released by Hobbyzone. I don't know about anyone else but i think Im gonna get one when they hit HS's in July. I havent found any threads on the lane so I figured Id start one.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2006, 08:34 AM
Rat
Rat
Come get me if you can
My understanding is it is from ParkZone. It is RTF only using the parkzone 27 mhz electronics package. This is too bad as it would be a nice airframe to have.
May 14, 2006, 02:00 PM
Thread OP
Parkzone? I thought all the pics and the description said Hobbyzone. Although then again that would make more sense since all of Hobbyzones planes all look alike.(Firebirds and Aerobirds). But either way it may be worth a try.
May 14, 2006, 02:08 PM
pie hopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew954
I thought all the pics and the description said Hobbyzone.
Yep, it is indeed under the HobbyZone label: HZ Super Cub page
May 14, 2006, 09:23 PM
The sky is my playground.
I'm thinking that might just be the ticket for my foat plane I wanted this summer... Anyone heard about an ARF?
May 14, 2006, 11:12 PM
FWIW, Here are some official Horizon links....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7100
http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ProdID=HBZ7100

No plans for ARF's from HBZ. The brand is focused on newcomers and RTF product.

Have Fun,
David
HBZ, PKZ, EFL
Horizon Hobby
Aug 02, 2006, 08:42 PM
Anyone still interested in the Super Cub? I don't think it's gotten much attention under the Hobbyzone brand. I just picked it up yesterday. The LHS said they just got them in. This is my fifth plane (Aerobird Challenger, Megatech Freedom Flyer, Parkzone Stryker, Parkzone Typhoon, Hobbyzone Super Cub). I was looking for a relaxing change of pace from the Stryker and Typhoon that I could also use to help family and friends try flying RC. So far I must say the Super Cub seems to fit the bill perfectly. The power of the geared 480 is right on and the wing generates a lot of lift. Flight is very smooth and predictable. Being larger than the Hobbyzone Cub/Decath seems to make it pretty stable as well. I've been able to loop, fly inverted briefly, hammerhead stall, etc. (typical maneuvers for 3-channel). The design of the plane is great. There is plenty of room in the radio compartment, the battery box works is on the bottom and works well, and the steerable tail wheel makes ROG takeoffs and landings a breeze. I haven't messed much with the ACT (anti-crash technology) feature much since I don't really need it. I've seen some not so good comments about it in other posts but I can't really say one way or the other yet. Fortunately you can turn it on and off easily from the transmitter at the flip of a switch.

Anybody else try this bird yet? It's marketed for beginners but the power, stability, lift, x-port (drop module and I would presume the night flight module and sonic combat module all work) make it a great plane for anyone to have on hand for relaxing flights or teaching new flyers.

Josh
Aug 08, 2006, 12:38 AM
I picked the Super Cub up on 7/31 and I think it is a great step up from my old 2ch. Firebird XL.
Aug 08, 2006, 11:26 AM
First impressions:

I got mine for a change of pace last week. I have all the Parkzone planes and this one seemed like a natural.

It flies great and takes off from short grass just fine. The standard 7 cell pack provides 10 minutes of flight time (the geared 480 type motor pulls about 8.4 amps on the ground). A sure winner.

As a matter of curiosity there is a jumper on the receiver along side the connectors where the ACT sensors plug in. I wonder what this jumper does? Maybe Dave or Jason will jump in and enlighten us. I tried the controls with it removed and did not notice a difference (apparently does NOT enable a v-tail mode...).

Gene
Aug 08, 2006, 12:41 PM
Here is a link to another thread with some more info/reviews:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542412

As a total newbie(unless you count Air Hogs), I'm really enjoying this, my first plane.
Aug 25, 2006, 09:16 PM

Hobbyzone Super Cub for a beginner

I received the Super Cub by Hobbyzone as a gift recently, and it is my first RC aircraft. I'd been close to trying out the hobby several times and this was the best package suited to lure in someone like me. You can't beat the price, and I am already looking forward to picking out my next purchase! The HZ Cub is very forgiving, and also a lot more durable than I thought it would be when I first opened the box. It is made of foam, but I've nosed it in at a considerable speed with very little damage (except to my ego.) What damage was incurred was easily repaired with a little Elmer's Craft Bond and packing tape. I highly recommend reinforcing the middle of the wing with clear packing tape. One of my crashed resulted in the rubber bands that hold the wing on coming free and slicing through the trailing edge of the wing. Since I've reinforced the leading and trailing edges with packing tape, I've had no problems. In short, the Cub flies great for a newbie, and if you get into trouble, it can survive most of what you might put it through.

Quick Reply