May 14, 2006, 12:39 AM
Discussion

Model Plane Crash Kills Two In Hungary

Anyone know anything more about this?

http://www.boston.com/news/world/eur...ungary_2_dead/

Quote:
Model airplane crashes in Hungary; 2 dead

May 13, 2006

BUDAPEST, Hungary --A model airplane crashed into a crowd at an air show in southern Hungary on Saturday, killing two spectators.

The accident occurred in the town of Ocseny, 90 miles south of Budapest, the capital.

The two people killed were identified as a married couple from the nearby city of Szekszard, emergency officials said, according to state news agency MTI.

The model airplane that crashed had 6 1/2-foot wing span and was being directed from the ground by an experienced German flyer.

According to one of the show's organizers, it was the first time in Hungary anyone was killed at a model airplane exhibit, MTI said.
© Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
http://english.mti.hu/default.asp?me...&newsid=219892

Quote:
UPDATE2-Crashing model airplane kills two, hurts three (adds FOUR INJURED, details)
Budapest, May 13 (MTI) - Two people died and four others were injured when a model plane crashed into a crowd of spectators at an international model builders' show at Ocseny Airport, SW Hungary, on Saturday, police reported.

The accident was caused by a 2-2.5 metre-long, remote control model built by a German pilot that went down behind the fence into a group of spectators, organiser Gabor Biro told MTI on site. Two people died, a couple from nearby Szekszard, who had come to see the show with their grown-up children.

Four others were taken to a hospital in Szekszard with slight injuries, the ambulance services said.

It is assumed that the model became uncontrollable due to a technical interference problem, Chairman of the Hungarian Modelling Federation Andor Harmath told MTI.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2006, 03:35 AM
Just call me .... Bill
Wow. I wonder if it will hit world news over here - hope it's not a slow news day. Sorry to hear about something like that anywhere.
May 14, 2006, 04:53 AM
http://stream.tv2video.hu/asxgen/tv2...k_0513_low.wmv - here is the streaming from Hungary news service. Looks horrible.
May 14, 2006, 05:04 AM
Yep. it illustrates with absolutely horrifying clarity the point I have been trying to make about the difference between being hit by a sub 8oz plane at 30mph, and a giant scale plane..ad of course on loss of signal at least E-planes will close the throttle...looks like that one went fail safe and locked the controls at last position..

It also looks like the pilot was doing most things right - performing parallel to the crowd line but broke the golden rule of 'never fly towards the spectators' ..turns should be made at a distance so that the model is rarely, if ever, pointing that way.

Oh dear. I foresee heavy repercussions on this.
May 14, 2006, 05:09 AM
And few lines under this thread is thread about flying after drinking. IMO it's scary.
May 14, 2006, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
and of course on loss of signal at least E-planes will close the throttle...looks like that one went fail safe and locked the controls at last position.
Closing the throttle is usually standard on all big models.

Jürgen

P.S.: Why is this accident discussed under "Electric Plane talk"? I don't think it was an electric model at all.
May 14, 2006, 06:42 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy

The vidio was not very informitive

I think every modeler will only want to supply his most sincere condolances to the family of the victims who were so seriously affected by our sport and reinforce every effort will be made to ellimate a similar event occoring again

This is definitly not good for the victims
and nothing we can say will remove the impact of this type of event

All we can hope for as a result new aeromodelers expositions best pratices regulations will reduce this risk from happening again

The vidio is short some ten second max with no prior information
The plane looks like a large scale biplane 2.5 metre probable weight 20 kilos or 50 lbs probably has a 50cc plus motor usualy 100cc for that size is low power based on fact that germany only allows 20kg models

How the plane came to be over or nearly over the crowd in a tight turn that seems to turn into a dive into the crowd is not clear from this vidio but impact speeds indicate exceed 60mph 100pkh before impact

As for its electric or petrol is irrelevent as some german scale planes of this size are often electric today and big models pose extra danger than small models

This is similar to 50cc moped motor bike falling from a five story house onto the pedestians on the foot pavement the results are likly to be very very bad

Models in these sizes usualy have a twin reciever twin in frequency twin reciever battery to reduce risk from interference or power outages and so the most likly senario is some sort of pilot error that put the craft too close to crowd(based on this small vidio clip) and most are flown by very few modelers as the costs and time requirements are very high and most are very practiced at exibition flying best pratices never fly at or over the crowd

but unexpected events can take place such as pilot forced to fly closer to crowd from another craft needing to dead stick landing or similar unexpected events which normally are non events when it club event but one time in a few hundred thosand s turn pear shaped

Thats not to excuse the pilots from making mistakes but sometimes at expositions the flight plans go wrong from lack of clear instruction to exibitors what to do if certian events take place dead sticks etc
and wind sun
different lingos and different cultures
sharing the same airspce having different local solutions can result in confusion and accidents worsened by having a big chunk of the ground full of people spectating the event

We have been remarkably lucky over many years at expositions many I have seen involing 400cc craft to 300mph pulsars and various craft have fallen down but away from spectators sometimes by chance as flutter stipped out servos or contols or wing folded from G forces or dead stick etc but system of flight pattern control put the odds in favor of any unforseen events the plane would most likly not tumble on top of spectators

We can never elimate accidents but we can work harder to reduce them as close to nill as possible by use of best pratices

certianly I have never seen at any public exposition any drinking flying pilots as risking losing a 1 year plus build scale $2000 plus plane to few cans of beer dosnt seem to be the culture I have seen in models so I hope this would be the case in this event

I have a good friend from hungary now working in London whose brother is an airline pilot and modeler so I will probably get some feedback and if its relevant or any use I will post it up but I suspect the European modeller assiotations will unearth all the facts and come up with beter safer best practices to avoid a repeat of this

hope fully we will never see this type of event again

Ralf

PS I missed this piece

It is assumed that the model became uncontrollable due to a technical interference problem, Chairman of the Hungarian Modelling Federation Andor Harmath
qouted from mti

Our worst nightmare senerio

hopefully new solutions like spectrum and similar will remove these types of risks if that is what caused the problem
Last edited by treehog; May 14, 2006 at 07:14 AM.
May 14, 2006, 09:27 AM
Homo Modelicus
treehog,

yes it was a 15kg 2.5m wingspan biplane. I think there were some main problem with the program. There were no ambulance!!! The models and the spectators were too close. There were only a strip which was the cordon. The police occupied the model and the film too. They think there was radio problem. On friday an another plan was crahsed too. There was radio problem too (radio disturbe)!!! The modeller was a pro german modeller, they think didn't he caused the accident.

It was the first and I hope the last accident. Two people died immediately and four had got minor injure. So I hope the hungarian modeller clubbing will thinking about this. This type of hobby is very dangereous, and a lot of people don't think this... They flying over the cars and the peoples... Lot of modeller has got enough money to buy a ARF model. They go home, assembly it and fly where they can.
Last edited by BaZsiX; May 14, 2006 at 09:36 AM.
May 14, 2006, 10:00 AM
turn, turn, turn.
This is terrible.
I sit here in silence for some time, thinking of the victims...and all those involved.
My heart goes out to them.
May 14, 2006, 10:14 AM
Homo Modelicus
New information. Maybe someone turn on own radio which was the same frequency. How could been this happened???
May 14, 2006, 10:24 AM

For BaZsiX and other hungarian modellers...

For BaZsiX and other hungarian modellers I think all modellers world wide share this type of problem where accident s happen and if you can supply any more relevant information that might shed light on the accident that could help other modellers world wide avoid this type bad accident then It could be usefull

Is it possible like Italy the modelers freqency is being used by pirate stations for uplinks to radio masts to play music

Ralf
May 14, 2006, 10:51 AM

Fun Fly and Scale Events

Beware of fun fly and scale events, often frequency control procedures are changed from normal field procedures , run by hastily trained volunteers, confusion of pilots with "stage fright", somebody in parking lot turns on to check his batteries. Big scale models are often not flown routinely and are more subject to mechanical or electronic problems.
May 14, 2006, 11:24 AM
Hi guys,

This is very sad news. Unfortunately, it's likely to happen here in the US sometime as well.

I recently attended a large E-meet here in the US where they were demonstrating pylon racing and power gliders being clocked on radar in the 150-200 MPH range. There was very little distance between the flight line, spectators, and vendors booths. Some of the pilots were also flying high G turns towards the crowd as well. One mistake or equipment failure and someone would be hurt, or worse.

Something to think about in light of recent events.

Mickydee
May 14, 2006, 04:33 PM

harmonics cross modulation shadow and umteen well known tpe of freqency issues can..

Harmonics cross modulation shadow and umteen well known type of freqency issues can cause freqency problems at events particalarly international events where fregency 35mghz 40 mghz 41 mghz and 72 mghz are all used at the same funcion

first harmonics on 40 megaherz can sometimes affect certian frequencies on 41 megahertz etc

Also some places like UK use freqency number such as channel 72 or channel 76 for 35 megaherz which replaces freqency example 35.120 or 35.030 and other places such as France and Spain tend to say freqency number so confusion can sometimes occor

and then throw in often there is a wire chain fence hastely erected before event which can cause a shadow reflection signal event and isnt noticed until plane strays into reflection zone

And throw in to this soup a few newby exibition modelers speaking some lingo different from flyers in the air and Radio might get switched on accidently for a few seconds knocking down another craft

umteen possibilties theories and possibilities so probably best to wait for more more official facts from Hungarian and German modeller associations who willl have experts to check out this tragic event

Ralf

PS
rechecking the mti hungarian news site and this headline is there
but you need to be registered to read it

Killer model plane's German flyer taken into custody
5/14 16:28

Cant say that is good for that German modeler but is what tends to be the process in Europe when there is an accident from cars to boats to planes
Last edited by treehog; May 14, 2006 at 05:24 PM.
May 14, 2006, 06:44 PM
My condolences to the families affected by this tragedy. How sad.