Two killed by modell plane in Hungary - RC Groups
Thread Tools
May 13, 2006, 08:06 PM
Registered User
ramo's Avatar
Discussion

Two killed by modell plane in Hungary


UPDATE2-Crashing model airplane kills two, hurts three (adds FOUR INJURED, details)


Budapest, May 13 (MTI) - Two people died and four others were injured when a model plane crashed into a crowd of spectators at an international model builders' show at Ocseny Airport, SW Hungary, on Saturday, police reported.

The accident was caused by a 2-2.5 metre-long, remote control model built by a German pilot that went down behind the fence into a group of spectators, organiser Gabor Biro told MTI on site. Two people died, a couple from nearby Szekszard, who had come to see the show with their grown-up children.

Four others were taken to a hospital in Szekszard with slight injuries, the ambulance services said.

It is assumed that the model became uncontrollable due to a technical interference problem, Chairman of the Hungarian Modelling Federation Andor Harmath told MTI.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2006, 08:23 PM
Registered User
UserName Here's Avatar
Wow. This is one of those stories that the people who make fun of my hobby, considering these things as "toys" need to hear.
May 13, 2006, 10:49 PM
Is it summer yet?
gouda's Avatar
More facts please.
May 14, 2006, 12:24 PM
Registered User
tailskid2's Avatar
That is so sad.....
May 14, 2006, 01:34 PM
Registered User
Sauli Sarkka's Avatar
There have been speculations about the CB-radios that the local taxis use to communicate to have played a part in the accident. Don't CB-radios operate around the 27MHz band? 27MHz (AM modulated, that is) has long since been abandoned by aircraft modelers in Europe and in most countries I understand that 35MHz or 40MHz (FM/PPM or PCM) is the norm.


-Sale
May 14, 2006, 02:02 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Different countries use different frequency bands for different purposes... Witout the frequency allocation listing for the country, we would only be speculating about what is used for CB's in Hungary. (Unless someone from Hungary chimes in with the information)

Some things are trending toward international standardization (which in the case of radio spectrum allocoation woul be a good thing)... but we aren't there yet.

************

2 to 2.5 meter long model... no info on the tye of model though... The force needed to kill 2 people and injure 4 more I would speculate that it will turn out to be a jet.
May 14, 2006, 02:42 PM
Registered User
Sauli Sarkka's Avatar
Type of model was a large scale, I assume a gas powered, biplane with some serious power in front. Extreme aerobatic moves were performed before the crash.


-Sale
May 14, 2006, 02:45 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Another thread with a few more details:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517499
Video of the crash (but not the impact):
http://stream.tv2video.hu/asxgen/tv2...k_0513_low.wmv
The crash looks like it happens during a fly-by, not the result of a botched manoeuvre.
Looks like some sort of equipment failure.
Pat MacKenzie
May 14, 2006, 02:54 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
time index in that video for the crash? I don't have much interest in watching 30 min of Hungarian news to find what will probably be 10 sec or less of video.
May 14, 2006, 03:09 PM
Registered User
Sauli Sarkka's Avatar
At around 2:30 or so.


-Sale
May 14, 2006, 03:19 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
time index in that video for the crash? I don't have much interest in watching 30 min of Hungarian news to find what will probably be 10 sec or less of video.
It is the first story after all of the commercials. Not too long to have to wait.
They show parts of the flight before the crash. The pilot seems to know what he is doing.
Hard to imagine how he feels right now.
Pat MacKenzie
May 14, 2006, 05:30 PM
Registered User
julianb's Avatar
The pilot was Stefan Wurm. He's a top european pilot. I can't imagine how he must be feeling.
May 14, 2006, 09:57 PM
Registered User
mmormota's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Different countries use different frequency bands for different purposes... Witout the frequency allocation listing for the country, we would only be speculating about what is used for CB's in Hungary. (Unless someone from Hungary chimes in with the information)
The CB is 27 MHz in Hungary, but the TAXIs are using 470 MHz radios.
May 15, 2006, 10:11 AM
jimi hendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramo
UPDATE2-Crashing model airplane kills two, hurts three (adds FOUR INJURED, details)


Budapest, May 13 (MTI) - Two people died and four others were injured when a model plane crashed into a crowd of spectators at an international model builders' show at Ocseny Airport, SW Hungary, on Saturday, police reported.

The accident was caused by a 2-2.5 metre-long, remote control model built by a German pilot that went down behind the fence into a group of spectators, organiser Gabor Biro told MTI on site. Two people died, a couple from nearby Szekszard, who had come to see the show with their grown-up children.

Four others were taken to a hospital in Szekszard with slight injuries, the ambulance services said.

It is assumed that the model became uncontrollable due to a technical interference problem, Chairman of the Hungarian Modelling Federation Andor Harmath told MTI.


he should of installed a fail safe .
better to be safe than sorry.
May 15, 2006, 11:34 AM
Registered User
julianb's Avatar
Mmm,

I would reserve judgement until the facts are known. Idle speculation on a public forum may be ill advised. If poorly handled, incidents such as this may have ramifications for all of us.


kind regards


Julian


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion incident in hungary that killed 2 cmulder Crash Discussion 20 Jan 15, 2007 08:35 PM
Discussion Fox says children killed by H and placed in bomb area. Gman2 Life, The Universe, and Politics 154 Aug 06, 2006 12:21 PM
Discussion Model Plane Crash Kills Two In Hungary manse Electric Plane Talk 126 May 21, 2006 07:47 PM
two 2.4 Gig TX in the same plane. How bad? Medve UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 12 Nov 25, 2005 04:31 PM
Model aircraft banned in UK town after girl killed by model Merlin_FAC Electric Plane Talk 28 Dec 24, 2003 10:49 AM