May 13, 2006, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

After 50 years of not flying RC, my first try.

Years of designing EPS packaging and designing and building molds, I now am applying that knowledge to designing and building little less than 1/2 ounce 13" wingspan RCs. that I call "THE SOPWITH MUTT" and "THE LITTLE FOKKER" I am building these out of a material that I envisioned years ago but never had time to pursue. I have time. The material I invented is called "DUROBATICS". Just started to fly again 1 and 1/2 months ago and I have a lot to learn. This "LITTLE FOKKER" has been abused by my lack of flying skills. I am very good at hitting what I am trying to miss. I have done 3/4 of a loop into the floor. and flying outside in the wind I have flown into trees and straight into the pavement. None of these crashes have ended my day of flying. This little plane has more than 100 crashes in it's history and it has allowed me to "CRASH AND LAUGH". So my years of designing cushioning materials for packaging and understanding "G" forces and over 40 years of working with EPS is a real help in this fun hobby. I'll try to attach a photo of the plane of one hundred crashes.
Last edited by flybob1; May 14, 2006 at 05:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2006, 01:15 PM
Welcome to RCGroups Bob!

YOU invented Durobatics? I'm addicted to the stuff. I haven't found anything else that will allow me to make the 1/72 scale fighter planes I've been making lately. Great stuff. Nice planes you've built. Post more pictures and tell us about your construction techniques.

Robert
May 13, 2006, 04:51 PM
smaller...NO smaller"
Wow, neat to have you amongst the minds here!
With your insight as to techniques and work-ability of this product I see great things happening (as if they already are not....guillot! Amazing) in the future.
Again, Welcome!
May 13, 2006, 10:21 PM
love the looks of those wings

Nice copy of the Plantraco HingeAct there! Surprised to see that.
Last edited by Plantraco; May 14, 2006 at 10:02 PM.
May 13, 2006, 10:36 PM
Mack
Looking forward to seeing more pics and reading info about your models, Bob. Do you know of any availability of Durobatics down under?

Peter McC
May 14, 2006, 05:38 PM
Thread OP

The "the engine" gearbox and receiver in one little package.

Thought I would share some of the fun I am having making this all work. This is what I call works in a drawer. Yep that is the receiver, motor and gearbox in one package. Weight is less than 4-3/4 grams. The wheels are designed to absorb shock. They have a teflon bearing and weigh less than 1/4 gram each.
Last edited by flybob1; May 14, 2006 at 05:45 PM.
May 15, 2006, 11:10 AM
Thread OP

Not A Copy

There was a statement made that the controls were a copy. Not really I hade been told that the product microbatics had been using was discontinued and plantraco suggested that microbatics should take pc boards and make their own. I have used the new designs and find them more than adequate for the job in fact I find them to have more torque.
May 15, 2006, 11:26 AM

hinged actuator

Hi all,

Wouldn't want a misunderstanding here. The hinged actuator used on the new Durobatics kit planes is the result of receiving an order of the plantraco hingeacts that had no solder points with which to connect leads and connectors to. Upon calling Plantraco to find out if the previous version was available I was told that they would no longer be available and was advised to put a pcb board on an actuator of our own. The conversation was with Jason, so perhaps that is where the confusion is. We have always recommended plantraco's products for those who want to do livingroom flying and have promoted their products as a solution for a lighter smaller airframe. So, I would hate for there to be a misunderstanding as to the nature of the production of these actuators. We needed something different than what plantraco had to offer and plantraco gave us the indication that we should go ahead and produce our own, something that we were capable of while we were still purchasing a suitable actuator from plantraco but did not want to step on toes.
May 16, 2006, 08:44 AM
Thread OP

Dawn patrol encounter

On patrol early this morning and I found a target. Engaged the foe and made several attack runs. I found myself over controlling and had to calm myself down. Another attack run with small imputs to keep on track. The enemy is pulling a 1/4 wide one layer strip of "agent 1000". I close in expecting to shred this strip of Scott to pieces. NO! NO! even though it is only 1/4 " wide it is to much for my prop and it brings me down with a dead stick. But I was able to grease the landing with a nice flare. I had to walk back to our lines to file a report and share my story to my fellow fighter pilots. It's a tough job but someone has to remove this scourge from the skies and keep us safe.
Last edited by flybob1; May 16, 2006 at 10:20 AM.
May 16, 2006, 09:41 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Car sites have them all the time, but I think this is the very first micro R/C 'Kill Story' I've seen. It's a nice change from the 'hit the nitrous and showed 'em my tail lights' kill stories you usually see.

Good work, Uncle Bob.
May 16, 2006, 10:36 AM
Ol' Deadeye
.........And the world is safe for another day........

Rootbeer and singing bawdy tunes with the squadron tonite!
May 17, 2006, 08:18 PM
Moderador.
Nice models, and nice return too

Cheers.

Alf
May 17, 2006, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybob1
There was a statement made that the controls were a copy. Not really I hade been told that the product microbatics had been using was discontinued and plantraco suggested that microbatics should take pc boards and make their own. I have used the new designs and find them more than adequate for the job in fact I find them to have more torque.

Actually, it is a copy, and I don't thing we suggested to anyone to copy it!

How is it a "New Design" - I'd like to know what is "new"

So, it is a surprise to me to see a copy of the Plantraco HingeAct on your plane - this is the first time I have ever seen this copy of our HingeAct actuator. How do you think I feel about that?

The HingeAct was developed by myself at Plantraco. Ours is the original. It is an improvement on Fritz Mueller's In-Hinge actuators (some people call them "BIRD" actuators, but Fritz hates that name).

Just to set the record straight.
Last edited by Plantraco; May 18, 2006 at 10:08 AM.
May 17, 2006, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthmudge
Hi all,

Wouldn't want a misunderstanding here. The hinged actuator used on the new Durobatics kit planes is the result of receiving an order of the plantraco hingeacts that had no solder points with which to connect leads and connectors to. Upon calling Plantraco to find out if the previous version was available I was told that they would no longer be available and was advised to put a pcb board on an actuator of our own. The conversation was with Jason, so perhaps that is where the confusion is. We have always recommended plantraco's products for those who want to do livingroom flying and have promoted their products as a solution for a lighter smaller airframe. So, I would hate for there to be a misunderstanding as to the nature of the production of these actuators. We needed something different than what plantraco had to offer and plantraco gave us the indication that we should go ahead and produce our own, something that we were capable of while we were still purchasing a suitable actuator from plantraco but did not want to step on toes.
Hi Ruth, I don't think we advised you to copy the HingeAct. It makes it tough on us if we have to compete with knockoffs of our HingeAct actuator.

So yes there is a misunderstanding - and that's something you don't want according to your post above. So how about having someone in charge at your company to call someone in charge at Plantraco.

You got an "indication" from our stock boy to copy the HingeAct? Sheesh! This needs more explaining to me please.
May 18, 2006, 12:39 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Oops!

I hope you guys work this out agreeably.

It is a drag when others capitalize on your ideas or designs.

Of course, I do notice that both of you recommend my centering magnets (developed while trying cure flutter on Spicy Wings) to improve your system's performance.

I think we all feed off each other on these forums, otherwise where would we be? Probably flying GWS parkflyers, since that's all that is in the magazines. And that wouldn't even be as much fun since they feed off designs in the parkflyer's forums...

Quick Reply