Jul 15, 2002, 03:30 AM
Single-task at best...
Thread OP

Almost lost my Bandit in a thermal

No big deal you say, but this is England & the first warm and sunny day for ages!

After a few climb'n'dives to feel the rush, I sent the model back up, turned the motor off and added a couple of clicks of up trim. I didn't realise until a few minutes later, that the Bandit was now just a tiny cross-shaped speck, and in danger of disappearing entirely. A fast dive bought the model home again.

What seems strange to me is that I wasn't aware of any particular column of lift, rather I just flew the model around the sky in my usual random fashion, and still it gained height.

tim
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2002, 04:30 AM
Hi
Sunday was great for lift!
I went to fly at Cranford park in the afternoon where one chap nearly lost an Early bird, fortunately with half a dozen pairs of eyes scanning the skies it was spotted and eventually returned to terra firma.
It was the highest I've EVER seen one of those things fly!

Mark.
Jul 15, 2002, 04:40 AM
Reminds me flying couple of weeks back with the SIlent Dream. I just launched and having the vario in the plane I got the already familiar motor on climb tone, I switched the motor off and I am used to hear to tone dropping the pitch until silence or sink tone in case I do not manage transit into smooth glide. This time after ten seconds I was still in the climb tone and despite flying in area of some 150x150m / 250m up it would not sink. Really freaked me out, had to glance on the throttle stick just to convince myslef the motor is really off, as expected looked back up and the panic rolled in - could not see the plane. Did my routine for this situation - gentle run and bid down elevator - there is was - heading sraight for sun. Lost it in the sun for some 8 seconds. Very scary indeed. When I got the plane again I was not able to fly and decided to land and go to get oxygen - one day I will have hart attack flying thermal ships.

So I guess these are huge bubbles of warm air lifting up early in the afternoon. The conditions that day were quite worm after few days of light rain. There was about 20% low cloud cover (but not all the clauds were well defined cumulus types) and it was quite breezy (5-10km/h).
Jul 15, 2002, 09:09 AM
Gettin back into it!!
rzitek

Where did you get your vario?
Jul 15, 2002, 12:07 PM
Model Designer
Quote:
Originally posted by tim hooper
I wasn't aware of any particular column of lift, rather I just flew the model around the sky in my usual random fashion, and still it gained height.
The lift was like that with the little Kelly on our school playing fields on Saturday morning, Tim.

Unfortunately, I'm now back at work after my hols. and will miss most of the sun; shame it waited this long to arrive without the high wind and intermittent rain !

Keven.
Jul 15, 2002, 05:58 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
next time Tim, try the "downwind turn" to get out of the thermal and sink... .. LOL
Jul 15, 2002, 06:40 PM
Single-task at best...
Thread OP
tic,

Funnily enough, I was going to try your method of losing altitude, but there just wasn't a radio mast high enough!

tim
Jul 15, 2002, 06:43 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
touche....
Jul 15, 2002, 08:20 PM
BANNED!!!
hehehe... you guys crack me up....

Quick Reply