May 08, 2006, 02:57 PM
frenzyscot
Build Log

Tempest MKV-scratch===> FLIES

Well my second balsa warbird -hurricane by Adrian Britton- Fellside/Graham Alliance was not as lucky as my first bird-p47 thunderbolt Jim Ryan's design cut by fellside as well, that I still fly, but lessons learnt and moving forward.
I had been crying out for a small kit of tempest but no one answered so I decided to make one myself.
I designed plans over three views by Richard J. caruana for a 34 in WS bird using NACA2411 for root rib and NACA0010 for tip rib and had the file cut by manzano -charlie in the states- nicely cut and superfast delivery , do you use supersonic jets for your post in the states or what
here is the progress so far
Last edited by xterarc; May 31, 2006 at 03:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2006, 04:11 PM
Very cool!

Am glad the parts arrived safely. Also am sure they did not go on supersonic transport Methinks you got lucky and breezed through customs and such somehow. We have overseas delivery times anywhere from 8 days to over a month. Sometimes to the same address areas.

Could be like it is here in the states. My outgoing mail from the house goes through two post offices before it leaves town. Incoming goes straight to the house. Go figure.

Looking at that cowl area, if you could make a form for that Sparky could probably pull a really nice piece from plastic.

charlie
May 10, 2006, 04:31 PM
frenzyscot

QDF as (quick dry fit)

just a quick dry fit to make sure things at least can be glued in place
and more work this saturday.
It starts to look like a... ...oh yes tempest of course
May 10, 2006, 05:23 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
An under represented model to be sure. Glad to watch this build. Is this really 2 days worth of building?
Mike
May 10, 2006, 05:28 PM
frenzyscot
lets no cheat here... it is actually 2 and a 1/2
May 10, 2006, 05:51 PM
An honest man! So, decided on paint scheme yet? At this rate you'll maiden on Sunday.
Mike
May 10, 2006, 06:05 PM
frenzyscot
I thought of something like a Target tug scheme which I really like or something classic with a black spinner, in either case my painting skills are worst than my building and flying skills so go figure
May 10, 2006, 11:07 PM
Very nice work Xterarc.

RBC plans to kit a Hawker Temptest (hopefully by summer?). See the following thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261597

Bob Fox
Last edited by ninpofox; May 10, 2006 at 11:52 PM.
May 11, 2006, 02:48 AM
frenzyscot
thanks bob!
I saw that RBC thread a while ago, and I have actually bought Ron daniel's tempest kit but I hide it well immidiately upon arrival, for a time I have more than a park to fly
May 11, 2006, 06:49 AM
frenzyscot
Make a form for the cowl ehh! I would have no clue as to how to mount it to the rest of the fuselage but I could think of something when I get .
Who's Sparky? ...anything to do with Star Trek?
I will try and pull a plug then, but it won't be before next month. How much is it going to cost charlie?
weather is bloody awsome here wish the tempest was ready
May 11, 2006, 05:40 PM
xterarc-Sparky is Kieth Sparks, famous for his ability to make just about anything that can be vacuum formed. He lurks about in here too. See his OV-1 in this forum and his "Attack Formosa" in the parkflyer forum.

Depends on if you want it kitted or not. Send me an email for details.

charlie
May 13, 2006, 06:50 AM
frenzyscot
The servo bay for two HS 65HBs was fitted,the wing pieces glued with the help of CA balsa dust, keblar pulp and a touch of micro baloons
off to work for a couple of hours and hopefully I will start glassing the wing tonight with 25g glass
May 13, 2006, 07:15 AM
x-- Good looking wing planform. This is going to be a good looking bird.
Mike
May 14, 2006, 04:10 PM
frenzyscot
Thanks mike, hope it flies too
Didn't do as much as I wanted this weekend, so wing was glassed and primed and now set to drie for sanding. almost no progress on the fuselage as I am waiting for the glassed tail parts before final assembly and linkages, but I can wait until tomorrow
May 14, 2006, 07:19 PM
x-- What's your technique for the glassing and priming? I've never done the priming defore trimming.
Mike