Thread Tools
Old May 08, 2006, 01:56 AM
Sor Thum is offline
Find More Posts by Sor Thum
OGT back from '92
Sor Thum's Avatar
Question

!OT!- WAY OT!!!!! Poison Oak


So I crashed my wing at Davenport two days ago. I hiked through waist deep thorn bushes and poison oak. I was wearing shorts and ankle high running socks. I have more *new* stuff on my legs than hair! Anyone want to see a photo of what my sticks look like from the knees down?

Matt
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2006, 02:02 AM
Hutch is offline
Find More Posts by Hutch
Slopeaholic
Hutch's Avatar
Ahh, the Davenport badge of honor! Congrats!

I abandoned one of my homebrews there once because it landed softly right in the middle of a big ole' ugly bush of the stuff. Good find for whoever eventually grabbed it...charge the battery and fly!
Old May 08, 2006, 02:31 AM
hydrogin is offline
Find More Posts by hydrogin
Registered User
I just endured two weeks of living with a PO rash from a mtn bike ride. Must ... resist ... temptation ... to scratch!!!

If it gets really bad, see your Doc and get a prescription for an oral steroid like Prednisone. It'll cut the rash in no time. Tecnu seems to work for getting rid of the oil off your skin if you can figure out where it is.


Lance
Old May 08, 2006, 02:44 AM
Sor Thum is offline
Find More Posts by Sor Thum
OGT back from '92
Sor Thum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
Ahh, the Davenport badge of honor! Congrats!

I abandoned one of my homebrews there once because it landed softly right in the middle of a big ole' ugly bush of the stuff. Good find for whoever eventually grabbed it...charge the battery and fly!
When was this? I'm already infected, maybe I'll go back out!..... kidding!

Matt
Old May 08, 2006, 02:46 AM
Sor Thum is offline
Find More Posts by Sor Thum
OGT back from '92
Sor Thum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin
I just endured two weeks of living with a PO rash from a mtn bike ride. Must ... resist ... temptation ... to scratch!!!

If it gets really bad, see your Doc and get a prescription for an oral steroid like Prednisone. It'll cut the rash in no time. Tecnu seems to work for getting rid of the oil off your skin if you can figure out where it is.


Lance
Too late for the Tecnu! I'm working on the Prednisone and not scratching!

Matt

PS- On a nasty side note, I have one swollen lumpy thing behind both knees that are starting to ooze!! Yummy!
Old May 08, 2006, 02:48 AM
Sor Thum is offline
Find More Posts by Sor Thum
OGT back from '92
Sor Thum's Avatar
My problem is 50% poison oak and 50% damage from the thorny bushes! It looks like I pissed off a group of short cats.


Matt
Old May 08, 2006, 04:14 AM
Endless Sloper is offline
Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
Rick Rogahn
Endless Sloper's Avatar
Ah man, that sucks but has to happen sometimes. We have Blackberry bushes out the kazzu out here. Will tear you up in no time...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2006, 09:40 AM
glderguy is offline
Find More Posts by glderguy
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Sorry about the oak Matt. Davenport is full of it. I dont catch poison oak, never have. Beats me why. Ive waided thru that stuff many, many times, never got a dose. One time after a waist deep encounter, my wife got it off my clothes, really bad, I of course got nothing. Hope you heal up soon. Watch where you crash next time buddy!!
Walter
Old May 08, 2006, 12:31 PM
thrasher is offline
Find More Posts by thrasher
dying to be flying
thrasher's Avatar
Recoveries sometimes can be a bitch (been there done that) but when you thought it couldn't get any worse, POISON OAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My prescription- lots and lots of beer and calamine lotion.
Hope you feel better soon.

Joe
Old May 08, 2006, 12:45 PM
screamin' eagle is online now
Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
R/C Chronic
screamin' eagle's Avatar
A great tip to relieve the itching that I used during my last outbreak: Wash the affected areas with very very hot water - as hot as you can stand without burning. At first the itching will get unbearably bad as your body releases histamine (which causes the itching). After about 10 seconds, the itching will start to diminish. Keep the heat on for few minutes, and you won't itch for the next 8 hours or so. I did this twice a day for a week and it helped tremendously.
Old May 08, 2006, 01:08 PM
slopejocky is offline
Find More Posts by slopejocky
Registered User
slopejocky's Avatar

Poison Oak Info


I can sympathize. For the past 5 years I have ended up with a rash after attending the ISR. When you're landing/crashing into Ice plant that is laced with Poison Oak for 3 day staight, its hard to avoid.

Here a link to a site with good info on Poison Oak.
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/welcome.html

Take note on how long the oil remains active, 1-5 years!

Mike
Old May 08, 2006, 01:08 PM
masson74 is offline
Find More Posts by masson74
Dave Massongill
masson74's Avatar
Sorry to hear about your poison oak but that sounds like a picnic compared to the Lyme disease i picked up four years ago while sloping. Its been a long tough and tiring road!!!! All this to say you have no business wearing shorts to slope . The risk is TOO Great.

Dave M
Old May 08, 2006, 01:14 PM
MtnGoat is offline
Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Tu ne cede malis
MtnGoat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sor Thum
So I crashed my wing at Davenport two days ago. I hiked through waist deep thorn bushes and poison oak. I was wearing shorts and ankle high running socks. I have more *new* stuff on my legs than hair! Anyone want to see a photo of what my sticks look like from the knees down?

Matt
Heck yes! pix are good for showing people why to make certain they avoid poison oak.
Old May 08, 2006, 01:26 PM
splitesse is offline
Find More Posts by splitesse
Fizzy lifting drinks BRRP
splitesse's Avatar

Damn Matt...


What day were you out there? I went to Del Valle Saturday and it was an epic day. There were about 20 different people there flying plus many spectators. There was always at least 4 or 5 ships in the air. I flew my M60 for atleast 2.5 hours and i had to throw the Alula out just to see how it would do in that kind of lift. It actually flew very similar to when there is almost no lift. I couldn't beleive it. The wind was ony 7 to 10 MPH but the lift was just insane. My M60 unballasted is like 31 oz. I was flying half ballasted and then fully ballasted. I was all over the valley. It was so much fun. After hearing about you PO it kinda makes dealing with the Del Valle tics seem like fun.

I guess I am posting this just to rub a little salt in the old wounds brotha. LOL.

Talk to ya soon,

Mike
Old May 08, 2006, 02:25 PM
hydrogin is offline
Find More Posts by hydrogin
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by masson74
Sorry to hear about your poison oak but that sounds like a picnic compared to the Lyme disease i picked up four years ago while sloping. Its been a long tough and tiring road!!!! All this to say you have no business wearing shorts to slope . The risk is TOO Great.

Dave M
Dave,

Has Lyme made it to California? If so, thanks for the warning. We seem to have lots of ticks and PO around our slopes this year.


Lance


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion WAY OT, thoughtful picture. dustn Slope 4 Jun 09, 2006 01:32 AM
Question Way OT but you guys build any other random stuff? I'm Rick James Slope 0 Apr 30, 2006 01:28 AM
Way OT: Calling Don Trammell bronicabill Thermal 1 Jan 09, 2004 07:48 AM
Way OT: Astronomy: How cool is this?? MrBungle Life, The Universe, and Politics 9 Apr 06, 2003 12:16 PM