May 04, 2006, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Rebellion 3D Laser Cut Foamy (Now a Balsa Version in the making)

The Rebellion 3D is my first foamy design. I have been sitting on the fence as to start a thread on it or not. Well, I guess I fell off onto the thread side of the fence! I'm still very new to 3D, and can tell you the Rebellion 3D has been the easiest plane to 3D I have flown (as far as foamies go). It may sound a little biased, but it is true.

I was all excited about kitting them, until I started talking with a few friends (some in the R/C industry) about the sales lifespan of a foamy. Correct me if I’m wrong, but so many guys are designing them now and more and more people seem to want to build them from plans, instead of buying kits. My take is the market seems flooded in the foamy world, unless you are coming out with some kind of novelty foamy (i.e. Hydro foamy, Missile foamy, etc…) or unless you are already a well establish foamy company like 3DFoamy, or RCXPlanes to name a few. I could be wrong, but that is the way I see it. Therefore, unless I get some positive feedback on my design and interest in wanting it kitted, I will probably not kit it.

Attached you will find the Rebellion 3D Builders plans PDF. Unfortunately I do not have a PDF illustrator to tile them or offer full size plans. If one of you would like to tile them or make them available as a full size plan, I would appreciate it.

Video of standard kit

In the Rebellion 3D design, I have taken positive features from different foamy designs and put them in all into one kit. With the deluxe kits, the lightened and laminated wing is similar to the ones seen in other kits.

Gary at www.depronlasercutting.com has been great to work with on cutting my prototype kits for me. To keep the Kits at the price shown in the video ($39.99 standard, and $49.99 Deluxe + shipping) I would have to order 12 kits (all the laser cut depron parts) from him at a time. If after seeing the video, 12 or more people are interested and want to pre-pay, I will place an order with him.

I have not put a manual together yet and I haven’t sent out any beta kits. If there seems to be a lot of interest in my kits, I will move forward on putting a manual together and getting some kits out to beta testers.

If I kit it, the Rebellion 3D will come in two different versions, with the option of an outrunner mount or stick mount configuration.

The Standard version kit will include:
6 mil depron laser cut parts
Carbon fiber wing spar .188” diameter
Carbon fiber pushrods
Music wire for pushrods .032” diameter
Heat shrink for pushrods
Lite ply control horns (4)
*3/8” sq. Motor stick or lite ply outrunner mount
Detailed Instruction manual

The Deluxe version kit will included:
6 mil depron laser cut parts
3 mil depron laser cut wing skins
Carbon fiber wing spar .188” diameter
Carbon fiber pushrods
Music wire for pushrods .032” diameter
Heat shrink for pushrods
Dubro E/Z connectors (4)
Dubro small pin hinges (15)
Lite ply control horns (4)
*3/8” sq. motor stick or lite ply outrunner mount
Detailed Instruction manual

*depends on your kit choice

Thanks for your time,
Omaha
Last edited by omaha_rc_flyer; Aug 13, 2007 at 12:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2006, 09:56 PM
life = eat, sleep, fly!
looks great. how heavy is it?
May 05, 2006, 09:41 AM
Thread OP

Specs

astroboy403,

Glad to see at least one person post, to inquire about more info.

Here are the specs:
Wingspan 36"
Length 37 1/2"
Motor- Himaxx 2015-4100 6.6:1 gear ratio
Prop- GWS 11x4.7 SF
ESC- Castle Creations Phoenix 25 amp
Battery- Etec 1200 mAh 3S1P lipoly
Servos- (4) 9 gram
RX- GWS 6ch.
AUW 14 oz.

Later,
Omaha
Last edited by omaha_rc_flyer; May 05, 2006 at 02:19 PM.
May 05, 2006, 02:22 PM
Thread OP
It was designed to be flown outside, but it can be flown indoors. Quicker flew it once, in a school gym.

Later,
Omaha
May 06, 2006, 05:04 PM
Have you flown with an outrunner yet? How is KE flight and will you have a landing gear to go with it? And yes, it does look great and a gear will make it look even greater
May 06, 2006, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6-A
Have you flown with an outrunner yet? How is KE flight and will you have a landing gear to go with it? And yes, it does look great and a gear will make it look even greater
I haven't flown it with an Outrunner yet.

Knife edge has very little if any coupling and requires, only a very small amount of rudder input. With other models I have flown, it required a lot more rudder input for knife edge, than what the Rebellion 3D requires. With the right wing down, it will almost hold KE with no rudder input, not sure why, maybe a thrust issue.

I may offer gear from a third party as an add on. Like these Profile Gear or if I can find similar ones out of Carbon Fiber.

Later,
Omaha
Jul 24, 2006, 12:52 AM
hey man we got to fins some more people that 3d in the big O ..? I work at the HT in omaha...
Jul 24, 2006, 01:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upside-Down
hey man we got to fins some more people that 3d in the big O ..? I work at the HT in omaha...
So you work with Brett then?

There is getting to be more and more guys flying 3D in Omaha, and Council Bluffs. The Omaha Pro Bro was just this past weekend.

Later,
Omaha
Jul 20, 2007, 09:26 AM
Thread OP
After only a year , I finally have the Rebellion 3D balsa version RTF. The Omaha/Council Bluffs ProBro is this weekend, and I had to have something to fly. Hope to maiden it, sometime today or tomorrow. Hope to get video! :-)

36" WS
38" Long
369 sq.in. Wing area
6.63 oz./sq.ft. wing loading
17 oz. AUW

Motor-Hacker clone A20-20L
ESC-CC Phoenix 25 amp
Battery- Various 1200 mAh 3S1P Lipoly packs (Etec, 3E model, True RC)
Servos-(4) Esky 8 gram

Quick Reply