May 04, 2006, 12:08 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Ultra light Yak-54 plans on the drawing board

The Yak-54. One plane that always wanted to fly, but never had the opportunity to do so. Tonight I found some schematics of the real thing and loaded it on the Photoshop. The goal is to keep it very light, so I decided to make a plan where most of the parts are already integrated. We have been used to building planes out of many parts because that's how the manufacturers have to pack and ship it - as small as possible. But since this is just a plan, then why not just cut one big piece?
Only the LE will have CF. Size is 35"WSx28". LG will be 2 CF rods with pants/wheels made out of EPP or depron. Fishing line bracing instead of CF struts for the wings should keep it lighter, too.

Version 4 is here and pics in my blog, page 2.
Full fuse version is here.
32" (800mm) version is here
32" (800mm) final version - with no counter weights on ailerons and one CF spar is here. Sorry I haven't posted this last year when I revised the plans. Pictures from the above link are of this version.
Last edited by Malves; Aug 11, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2006, 09:25 AM
looks kool

dan
May 04, 2006, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Thanx, bro. Here's the prototype plan. I'll post the plans in pdf format, after I build, test fit, and fly it.
Last edited by Malves; May 11, 2006 at 10:07 AM.
May 04, 2006, 12:25 PM
looks nice

them counter balances on the airlerons are a bit small

dan
May 04, 2006, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malves
The goal is to keep it very light, so I decided to make a plan where most of the parts are already integrated. We have been used to building planes out of many parts because that's how the manufacturers have to pack and ship it - as small as possible. But since this is just a plan, then why not just cut one big piece?
I think some/most manufacturers actually cut the parts so that they go with the depron grain so each part will be as stiff as possible. Because of the size of a full sheet of depron you can't always get a full part (ie wing) from the sheet without loosing strength by going against the grain. At least that is why I do it.

Tim
e-foamies.com
May 04, 2006, 02:36 PM
thats a good idea i might try that the next time i make one

dan
May 04, 2006, 03:56 PM
Your final plan is very good!
I like the idea to keep it as light as possible!
I'll whait for the Pdf files......i have a small CD motor and small lipo battery that are whating for a plane like this!
Thanks and ciao
May 04, 2006, 04:37 PM
I would duble the LE thicknes and use two flat carbon rods (0,5mm), it would weight almost the same as a single stronger rod, but due to inertia moment it will be much stifer and will slow down the plane a lot.
May 04, 2006, 05:19 PM
Thread OP
Thanx for the info, Tim.

Plans should be available this coming weekend, if it flies like I am hoping to. I just got home with some depron, CF and paint. Now I gotta go to Staples to print the plans. How big should be the counterbalance? Double the size? I've just followed the lines from the real thing.

I am not sure about double LE thickness. I've seen ppl that swear by it, and others that didn't notice any difference. I thought about it, but dropped the idea. But it's nothing that can't be done with the current plans.

Nao tem muitos brasileiros aqui no forum, ne? Acho que voce eh o segundo que vejo por aqui.
May 04, 2006, 05:35 PM
Não mesmo, a maioria deles voam planadores.....

The ideia of dubling the LE makes a much stronger wing, I would try mostly because of that. You also my also not use wheels wires or carbon rods are lighter...
May 04, 2006, 06:41 PM
Thread OP
I won't be using wheels. LG will be composed of CF and foam. At low weight, you don't need a very strong plane. The inertia is so low, that in the event of a crash, the damage is not a big deal, if any. I've been flying a copy of the Futurion that has no CF at all, and the crashes that it suffered only required minor repair. Also, with such a low wing loading, I find it harder to crash that often. Unless you get caught by surprise when flying in 8-10mph wind, like I do sometimes.

Now, I've been thinking about the dimensions of this YAK. I tried to keep it as close as possible to the real thing using the schematics I have - fuse is just 1 1/4" longer than what it was supposed to be so I could fit the bigger elevator, thou. I've noticed that other designs have a longer fuselage. Like the Ikarus shocky is 4 3/4" longer than mine, and they share the same WS. Is there any particular reason for that?
May 04, 2006, 09:02 PM
Longer planes have more inertia on the longitudinal axel and so are more precise (yet they have more side area), the stronger wing would prevent flexing during hi-G manuvers or on rolling ones.
May 05, 2006, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
Fitting is good. Don't mind with the hacked paint job. Spray cans are the worst to work with.
I think I need to enlarge the ailerons a lil more on the plans. It didn't come out as big as I thought. Elevator is not in place because the rudder is not cut, yet. More to come soon. I need to paint the other side of the fuse and I think I am running out of yellow paint.
May 05, 2006, 11:09 PM
Very nice painting job. Biger ailerons may be needed for 3D but I think it will perform F3P well, usually I try to keep CG to fly inverted without elevator imput, this makes your elevator veeeery sensible

Nice plane Bro
May 06, 2006, 12:17 AM
Thread OP
Thanx, bro. Yes, that's the problem with the ailerons. I do more freestyle than pattern. Oh well, let's see how it goes. I don't even know if it will fly well, yet.

Quick Reply