May 03, 2006, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Building the Schweizer 1-26B

The oppertunity came up to build the TM RC Schweitzer 1-26B, so thought it might be fun to share the build, even though it is a bit out of the mainstream. However, for those who might be into aero tow, this looks like a good candidate.

The laser cut kit looks good, but there are no instructions, and the plans are a little sketchy in some areas, particularly the fuselage, but with a little planning ahead and imagination, all will go well.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2006, 07:59 AM
Thread OP

Starting with the Fuselage

The fuselage assembly is primarily of ply and spruce. The forward assembly is bsically self jigging via two bulkheads and the servo tray glued to the fuselage side sheets.
May 03, 2006, 08:04 AM
Thread OP

Assembly Continues

Once the basic frontal assembly is together, the remaining formers, keel, and nose stringers are added. The landing wheel well is set up with 2, ply sideframes and will be faired with balsa later.
Up to this point, the parts fit has been excellant. The laser cut parts are all etched with part numbers to eliminate any confusion as to what's what.
May 03, 2006, 08:12 AM
Thread OP

Moving Toward the Tail

The keel and side stringers are made up from 1/16 X 1/4 bass wood, and are used to locate the aft fuselage formers. The location of each former was marked on the keel and stringers before they were glued in place, then when the formers were added, only a minor "tweeking" was required to get everything lined up.

Once all the formers were in place the stringers were added. Here's where things got a little confusing. There is no information on the plans, other then the stringer notches in the formers, as to where the stringers should terminate. This is where you just have to "wing it" (as they say in the airplane buisiness) and locate the ends where it will look best once covered.
May 03, 2006, 08:17 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Pat- Had one of these in our flying club back in the 80's. Nice looking plane but I never flew it. What's the size and cost of this kit?
Mike
May 03, 2006, 08:21 AM
Thread OP

Second Attempt

Sorry, can't get the pictures to load in the previous post so will try it again loading fewer shots in two seperate posts. Hope it doesn't get confusing.

Mike, The kit is 60" span with a flying weight of 22 oz. The cost for the kit is $79.95 plus $19.95 for the hardware pack, so we're right at $100.00. That might seam a bit high, but the hardware package includes all the pushrods and control horns as well as the wing joiner dowel and reciever tubes.

Might be a good one to tow with a Dare 60" Super Cub.
Last edited by P. Tritle; May 03, 2006 at 08:48 AM.
May 03, 2006, 08:24 AM
Thread OP

Photos from post #4

Here's the last 2 photos in reference to post #4. Will keep it down to 3 per post from here to avoid the problem.
May 03, 2006, 08:27 AM
Thread OP

Back Toward the Front.

The fuselage is sheeted under the cockpit with 1/16 balsa, with the hard points for the landing skid mounted into the keel after the sheeting is in place.
May 03, 2006, 08:29 AM
Thread OP

Finishing the Main Fuselage Frame

The aft stringers were glued in place and the ends radiused off to eliminate the big bumps in the cover that square corners can cause.

The horizontal stab mount was set up and the balsa fairing blocks glued in place and sanded to shape.
May 03, 2006, 08:38 AM
Thread OP

Starting on the Wings

The wing assembly incorperates a double main spar with sheer webs and upper and lower leading edge sheeting. The wing is going to be STRONG!

The spoilers will be used, so the cable tube was run in before the top inboard sheeting was added.

This was another weak area of the plans -- there's absolutely no information as to where the servos will be located or how the spoiler system should be hooked up, so will have to work that out once the wings are plugged into the fuselage. The aileron servo locations are called out in the wing panels, but no parts were supplied to mount them as they're shown.
May 03, 2006, 08:42 AM
Thread OP

Finishing the Wing

The ailerons are cut from trailing edge stock and sanded to shape. Hinging was done using 3/16 wide strips of Cya hinge stock. The triangle stock tip blocks were glued in place, and the entire structure sanded to final shape.

Now that the basic structure is together, the sheet tail surfaces will get shaped up next, then get the wing joinery in and then get started installing the radio gear.

PAT
May 03, 2006, 09:20 AM
I've always loved this plane, ever since I saw it in Model Aviation way back in the 80's. Any idea what your color scheme will be Pat?

-Sky
May 03, 2006, 10:38 AM
Pat,

You are the designingest and buildingest guy I know in this hobby. You even make Peter Rake look like a slacker . Keep it up!

BTW, I'm too lazy to research, so would you tell us the span, area, and weight?

Jim R
May 03, 2006, 01:11 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Sweet!! Thought things were a little too quiet out your way, now we know why!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
May 03, 2006, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
Sky, I haven't decided on a color scheme yet. Will probably look at something in red or black and yellow though. The lower aspect ratio wing will lend itself well to a sunburst with some simple striping on the fuselage.

Jim, Thanks, but I can't take credit for the design the -- well I could I guess, but the Guy who actually DID do the design probably wouldn't like it all that much BTW, don't tell Peter that, we don't want him going into convulsions or something
The span is 60" a wing area of 380 sq. in. and an advertised flying weight of 22 oz.

Brian, I was just thinking the other day that things have been a bit "off track" lately. Been spending a fair amount of time "perfecting" the more recent stuff rather than starting something new. In the meantime, just wait till you see the two that are on the drawing board now

PAT

Quick Reply