This thread is privately moderated by dawnron1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 07, 2011, 12:08 AM
So you post pictures of pretty girls holding RC planes here?
Jul 07, 2011, 12:34 AM
For the most part, until someone decides that the pics are not Puritan enough...
Jul 07, 2011, 02:29 PM
You post pictures of hot girls holding awesome planes here?
Last edited by pilotguy172; Jul 09, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Jul 08, 2011, 01:47 AM
The Revegetator
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotguy172
You post pictures of hot girls holding awesome planes here/
Mainly here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1408420
Jul 09, 2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris f
omg...
Jul 09, 2011, 10:44 PM
Ain't they WONDERFUL??
Jul 12, 2011, 08:59 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Dee de dee
Last edited by bildo baggins; Sep 28, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:25 AM
deleted
Last edited by Thomas Cummings; Sep 20, 2014 at 03:34 PM.
Dec 15, 2016, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMiller5
Twenty years ago, back in 1986, there was a company that made a 1/9th scale model of the MIG-27 Flogger out of injection molded grey foam. These planes were built for the military and used for gunnery practice by troops during live fire exercises. A few people in the RC community found out about them and asked the company to make them available to the RC modelers. If I remember right, they were around $89.00 or so, which at the time was a lot of money, but it had a certain Cool factor about it, so I bought one. Here is a photo of me, (a much younger version of me at the ripe old age of 25), holding the plane as it came out of the box.

It was about 6 foot long with a 6 foot wingspan, and the bare foam weighed around 4 pounds. They were made to have a .61 size glow engine attached with 3 channel control, Aileron, Elevator and throttle. There were 2 aluminum "L" channels that ran from the nose all the way to the tail inside the fuselage. These served 3 purposes: First, they were the motor mount in the front. Second, the wing was held on with 4" long 1/4-20 steel bolts which screwed into threaded holes in the aluminum channels, and third, it tied the entire fuselage together so that when the planes were hit with gunfire, the bullets just punched right through the foam, and the plane could keep flying. The wing also had an aluminum I-beam running from tip to tip to take the G-loading of the flight.

I bought the plane and after I got it, I decided to really trick it out and finish it off nice. I sanded off all the little injection mold bumps, and added a working rudder. I took off the molded on plastic ailerons and added flaps and seperate ailerons. I also put on fixed landing gear and smoothed out all the joints and seams to make it look real nice. I ended up powering it with a rear exhaust OS.61 pattern engine with a tuned pipe, and used a Futaba 8 channel PCM radio.

After I got it done it looked so nice that I used it in a photo shoot for the cover of RC Modeler magazine. I enlisted the help of a very attractive young lady that I worked with named Lisa to model the plane for the photo shoot. I made arrangements with the local Minature Golf Course to let me come in a couple hours before they opened and use the course as a back-drop for the photos. Unfortunately, it never made the cut as a magazine cover photo, but they still turned out pretty good.

The following photos were taken at the the Minature Golf Course that is across the street from Busch Gardens in Tampa, Florida, which is where I lived at the time. So, here are the photos of the finished plane, being modeled by the lovely Lisa Davis. I know they are a little big, but they are so good that I wanted you to be able to see all the details.

It was a little hot that day, so Lisa decided to ditch the Khaki's and long sleeve shirt for the next 2 photos.

Well, there is my entry into the Model your Model thread, was it worth the wait?

Lucien
Bump for a great story and pics.Love it.
Dec 15, 2016, 07:22 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Cool, I don't remember that particular model but thanks for sharing about it. And yeah, those pictures look like would have been on the cover of RCM at the time!