Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 11, 2002, 08:31 PM
FoamyFactory.com

The Wonders of Fan Fold Foam

Well, I dove into the wonderous world of F3 head first yesterday! I've been pretty active in the EDF side of electrics for a while. However, my foamy stable includes a Zagi 400x, a Terry, a Wattage Mirage, and now a MiniNutz. Anyway, all this F3 stuff had me thinking. How could I combine my love for jets and the ease and inexpensiveness of Fan Fold? After some head scratching and searching for a suitable first subject, here is what I have come up with.

First of all, I had to use the equipment I have on hand. I didn't want to buy anything more because I have too many projects going as it is. I decided the motivating force will come from one of the Mega 22/20/4s I have for an EDF A-10 that is not completed yet, along with a Jeti 40-3p opto controller. This coupled with the fact That I have 2 10 cell CP1700 packs not doing anything right now dictated the size parameters for the project. With that decided, and the target size and weight parameters in place, I sat down and started drawing.

Aermacchi MB 339 (pusher prop)
Specs are as follows:
Wing Span - 40" (not including tip tanks)
Length - 44"
Motor - Mega 22/20/4
Controller - Jeti 40 3p opto
Battery - 10 cell CP1700
Target weight - 36 to 40 oz.
Last edited by Tim H.; Jul 11, 2002 at 08:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2002, 08:44 PM
FoamyFactory.com
With the drawings completed, there was no excuse to start building. The formers are laid out on a piece of F3 and then cut out. I left the plastic on both sides to keep the benifits of the stiffness it adds.
Jul 11, 2002, 08:49 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Fuselage sides cut out. I peeled the plasic from both sides. Next time I will leave the plastic on the outside while assembling the fuse, then peel it off later. With the plasic off both sides they were quite flimsy.
Jul 11, 2002, 08:50 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Fuselage being framed up. Man I love this stuff!!!!
Jul 11, 2002, 08:53 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Motor mount details. I just used 3, 1/4 square spruce pieces around the motor. Motor will be bolted to a ply plate, slid into the braces, then bolted to the airframe.
Jul 11, 2002, 09:00 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Another shot of the motor mount.
Jul 11, 2002, 10:09 PM
FoamyFactory.com
After about 5-6 hours of cuttin' and shapin'
Jul 11, 2002, 10:11 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Another view of the fuselage so far.
Jul 11, 2002, 10:12 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
First off,,, what are you some kind of sicko man???????? I mean really,,, come on now,,, cream of Celery????? get real!!!! every one knows if you want to build a plane,,, I mean a mans plane,,, you use Chunky Soup,,,, and Beef some thing or another,,, not cream of,,,, well, cream of anything for that matter!!!!
Second of all,,,, a pusher jet!!!!! What would your parents think!!!!
For real, it looks cool, Fan Fold is great for proto typeing and more! I see it looks like you are useing epoxy for the set up,,,, try hot glue for your prototypes, it lets you glue as fast as you can cut sutff out, if you need more strength after it sets up follow up with probond!.
Fan fold is great but for heavier stuff its just not enough, be sure to use either strapping tape or PU glass to keep it from exploding on inpact durring testing. Fiber strapping tape by 3M cam be used to almost cover your plane and keep it from getting wasted on the first aborted take off .
Good luck, keep us posted!
Jul 11, 2002, 10:14 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Wings almost done. I just sat the fuse on top of the wing to get an idea of how it would look. Total time investment to this point (not including drawing or making the templates) is about 7 hours give or take. What do you guys think so far????
Jul 11, 2002, 10:23 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Jason - Cream of Celery Soup is for tuna casserole!!!!! The Chunky Soups are gone...bummer. They were the big cans too!!! Hot glue... all I have is the high temp stuff and it's too hot and melts the foam. Tried it. I could have knocked off 2 hours just by NOT using epoxy. LOL

The whole thing will be glassed. Oh yeah...NOT going for the "destructo" test. Wing has 2 hardwood spars and will also be glassed. Fuselage so far, as in previous pics, weighs in at a whopping 6 oz. Wing so far is 5 oz.

Tim H.
Last edited by Tim H.; Jul 11, 2002 at 10:25 PM.
Jul 11, 2002, 10:32 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
Great Looking Plane Tim .. i've been wanting to do a jet from fanfold but i dont have a EDf unit yet and i dont like S400 pushers.. not alot of luck with em .. keep up the great work .. wanna hear about flight reports..
Jul 11, 2002, 10:43 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
Looking good Tim. I too have returned to my foamy roots and got some F3 the other day. The only thing I have done with is play with a little simple EDF50 Skyray design.
Jul 11, 2002, 10:55 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Hey Kevin - Yeah the F3 stuff is great! I figured it would be quicker than building an EDF. I just gave one of my friends my (spare) MF480 for his B-day. I think he is going to try a fan fold Minx. Should work out great.

Vyceroy - That's one of the reasons it's not an S400 pusher. Although the new little Mega 16/15/3 has much promise for speed 400 size pusher jets. They are pushing the little ProJeti's past the century mark with the Megas.

Tim H.
Jul 12, 2002, 12:50 AM
Hey Tim!

Great looking plane ... Flight report soon? Post more pics of your construction...

Erunway