May 01, 2006, 02:49 AM
Thread OP
Question

Topaz-e full house or RES / AVA-e Flap or RES ?

Hi all,

I have a general question for e-gliders. For those e-floater such as Topaz or AVA, once we add the big battery and motor, does the spoiler still have effectivness with that much extra weight ?
In general, do we need flaps to slow it down when landing ?

I am asking because I saw may people get flap version of Ava when they try to go electric. But if you get the spoiler version, with just an extra fuslage, you can do RES contest as well.

Thank you.

-Kai
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2006, 03:35 AM
Indeed. With just my limited experience with my AVA-E RES, you don't need flap, and I have no regrets going with the spoiler. This thing is a floater, even with an electric power system (mine is a B40 FAI with 7 GP2200's, so there's not much weight there). Most pure sailplane pilots ballest her up well beyond what mine weighs anyway..

Now I have other models with different airfoils that benefit from flap, and others still that COULD benefit from flap, but this one doesn't need it.
..a
May 01, 2006, 09:56 AM
jrerickson
Kai,

The flap is much better for speed control with a heavier plane. You can always just get two center panels then you can still fly RES as well as electric.

John
May 01, 2006, 08:12 PM
It would be nice if someone that has a flapped AVA would post, but from my experience the spoiler works real well. I like flaps when used in combination with ailerons, as in full crow; but when used alone, it is very difficult to control ballooning. Also you have to realize that the AVA-E, with an 1100 sq.in. wing in the 60 oz. range, is still very light. Mine at 64 oz. lands at a reasonable speed and with great accuracy and for sport flying the extra weight gives it the ability to fly in a wide range of conditions maintaining control throughout.

David M
May 02, 2006, 12:15 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
I would think the flap on a lightly loaded plane would not be too functional. I have the spoilered Topaz, I think spoiler is better but I am still learning to fly it(glidepath control). My pass experience is with the heavy full house with crow(butterfly). The lightly loaded plane are like going back to gentle lady or Oly II. A different ball game.

I have a 2m Charm electric glider on the building board. This one has flaps and I will let you know how the flaps are when I get it in the air.

Brian, an EAJ
May 02, 2006, 12:32 AM
Thread OP
Thank you guys.

My photon-II DLG has flaps and it works very nice. I really like how it can slow down so efficiently. And that's why I am wondering the difference for RES or Flap version.

Thanks for all the inputs (and please give more )

Brain,

I would love to hear your report later

-Kai
Last edited by [email protected]; May 02, 2006 at 12:38 AM.

Quick Reply