Nov 28, 2012, 11:25 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
Now you tell me! And here I thought that lobotomy was such a good idea when you suggested I get one....
Ha! Well, you did need it! I'm getting mine this afternoon.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2012, 11:30 AM
Come fly with us in Henryetta
Of all the things I have lost.... I miss my mind the most.... Good thing the TM does not need me to fly well!
Nov 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
My wife give me a gift card for a lobotomy for xmas last year. I thought it was sure a nice gift I have the card framed.
Nov 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
Kind of wonder if the gift of a lobotomy( for you) was a gift for her or you....
Nov 28, 2012, 08:02 PM
LJH
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Moth number 4 is freaking cursed....the other week when I tried to maiden her she had a range check issue, switched out Rx's and she seemed fine. Then I tried to apply the stickers and they would not stick. Then I had an issue with a motor stutter above half throttle which seemed to be fixed with re-soldering the leads. I have had 8 flights on her since she was cured of all her apparent issues and then tonight I was doing a night opp in front of the house. I am guessing she was at around 200' AGL and doing great and then......no response at all.....she was in free flight mode. I watched with a sickening feeling as she flew away. I hopped in the car and found her sitting in a tree about 150' up and a half mile away with the nav light glowing away, I tried applying throttle and nothing. In my 18 or so years in the hobby and somewhere around 10,000 flights I have only had this happen once before with a SP400 F5J glider that I had coring a strong thermal when I lost contact....with that one I watched her climb till she was just a tiny spec and heading down wind never to be seen again. Hoping to get the Moth back and imagine I will at some point but what a bummer.....

Cheers,
Jim
Nov 28, 2012, 08:36 PM
Trees like the taste of foam. I had one in a tree for year and half before a strong wind broke the top out of the tree with the plane. Electronics including lipo battery were still good but the foam was trash.
Nov 29, 2012, 08:20 AM
LJH
LJH
Shocked....I walked the Wee Man to the bus stop this morning and on the walk down the hill I do not see anything in the tree that I thought it was in. Once Nick was on the bus I took a little walk and lo and behold she was sitting in the front yard of a house. A little beat up but she will fly again.

Cheers,
Jim
Nov 29, 2012, 08:35 AM
Glad you were able to find it! Good thing they did not have a dog there that likes foam chew toys!
I have some extra bits and pieces for the ptm if you need anything let me know.
Wes
Nov 29, 2012, 08:43 AM
LJH
LJH
Quote:
Glad you were able to find it! Good thing they did not have a dog there that likes foam chew toys!
I have some extra bits and pieces for the ptm if you need anything let me know.
Wes
Thanks Wes,
Looks like all I have to do is glue all the struts back on and repair a couple wing tips....oh....and figure out why I lost contact. She will not be pristine but Moths seem to fly better that way anyhow .

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Jim
Nov 29, 2012, 08:50 AM
I think you are right about a tm with shall we say experience flying well or better.
Years ago I gave away a ptm. When I gave it away it looked terrible. Had well over 600 flights on it! But the crazy thing still flew great! And the guy I gave it to was not well off $$ and was glad to get it. I have wondered how many more flights it got?

Wonder if anyone has ever reached 1k flights?
Dec 02, 2012, 02:04 PM
I've easily had flights of 1 kilometer. Just saying.
Dec 02, 2012, 03:06 PM
I meant one thousand flights on a single airframe.
Dec 02, 2012, 04:31 PM
I know.
Dec 02, 2012, 04:41 PM
Ah soo....
Dec 02, 2012, 06:47 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Quote:
Ah soo....
Hey, I resemble that remark!