Oct 30, 2012, 10:05 AM
By the way, has anyone put LED lights on a moth for night flying? I can not find any information about this anywhere.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
My moth has a few stuck on it, run off of 5V lead from the esc to the rx. It was already done when I acquired it.
Oct 30, 2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti
My moth has a few stuck on it, run off of 5V lead from the esc to the rx. It was already done when I acquired it.
I wish i could figure out how to do this.
Oct 30, 2012, 06:24 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
on RCG, there is a night-flying section. I know I've looked up links to resistor calculators and such from there.
Oct 31, 2012, 12:43 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Tpawyant,
If you wqnt to do it the easy way, check out the Dimension Engineering Lights. They come set up to plug into the receiver and the Ultra brights are very bright. A couple of those in the fuse and that thing should glow! Or use the strips down the fuse...
http://www.gorillabobsrc.com/catalog...etkp045bgbrbd6
Oct 31, 2012, 07:58 PM
What prop does the TM use with a gear drive? I'm guessing it's the 9/7
Oct 31, 2012, 09:52 PM
Elfi Flyer
Yes, the GWS 9x7 seems to be the defacto prop for "A" gearbox (stock) set-ups. I use this prop on my Moth, with "A" gearing, and a Feigao 1208436
brushless in-runner motor. For brushless outrunner motors (versus inrunner BL motors such as the Feigao), the prop specification will probably be different. Lots of info on this thread for prop specifications, brushless or brushed motor orientated.

RD
Nov 01, 2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks I thought it was. you an I have the same set-up.
My motor has been having hic ups and I've changed the esc but to no avail it's still doing it.
I ordered the blue arrow from BP but I think because of sandy it's going to be awhile before I get it.
Nov 01, 2012, 09:43 AM
Oh no, not again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpawyant
I wish i could figure out how to do this.
It's dead easy. I am on Moth #3 at the moment. When #2 was getting tired and I wanted to see how lights worked, I just taped them to the bottom of the wing. and fuse. My current Moth (sorry, no pics at this computer), I ran the fuse wires internally before assembly and hid the wing wires in a shallow slit cut in the foam prior to glassing. Those were LEDs I picked up on ebay.

The best deal on the market is this: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ng_System.html
All the lights are pre-wired, although you can extend the leads if needed. The controller plugs into a spare channel on your rx. Red/green steady nav lights, 2 pulsing red beacons, 2 fast flashing white strobe markers and 2 steady white landing lights. I am putting these on just about everything I fly now.

HTH,
Jeff
Nov 01, 2012, 04:09 PM
I can't believe it. I ordered the blue arrow motor from BP hobbies and they just sent me an email saying that since it was out of stock they are sending me the feigao motor.
Now thats service
Nov 01, 2012, 04:20 PM
That's fantastic Kerwin!!! Much higher quality motor.
Nov 02, 2012, 11:31 AM
Come fly with us in Henryetta

Something strange....

I have a Himaxx HC2208-870 outrunner in my TM. Love the motor and it is quiet and plenty of power with great flight times.

Had something strange happen yesterday though. I was flying last evening and did a couple of mild loops. On the last one I suddenly saw the prop fall off. I was able to see where it landed. I glided the plane down and while on approach I noticed the motor was hanging by the wires and so was the lipo. I made a nice smooth landing and walked over the the plane. Much to my surprise the case was missing from the motor! Now keep in mind that thrust from the prop pulls the case forward onto the rest of the motor as it spins. Since the shaft is pressed into the case it has no choice. So when the case went backward to come off it slid the prop and adapter off the shaft as it went.

I balance my props and was only at about half throttle when this happened. Anyone ever had this happen? Or have an idea why it did? Paula my GF went with me this morning to look for the case and her sharp eyes found it in the edge of tall grass.
Plane is back together and ready to fly now. I will static test it to make sure all is secure before I fly it again.
Wes
Nov 07, 2012, 06:49 PM
Must not buy more planes!
Alright, guys. I know there's been some discussion of there being different versions of this kit. I've gotta say, the wings on mine are made of eggshell. I've never had a plane that was so terribly, terribly fragile. Any minor mishap on landing or take-off snaps the wings. I've probably flown the plane eight times and glued the wings back together six times.

I'm not saying I'm a perfect pilot, or that I've never cracked another plane, but out of 30 or so planes, this is by far the most fragile.

What the heck?
Nov 07, 2012, 09:07 PM
<<<<I|I>>>>
An easy fix for the frail wings would be to 'glass the underside of the wings with 1/2oz or 3/4oz fiberglass cloth and a thin coat of Minwax brushed on. It would add only a few grams - prolly lighter than all the existing glue on it now.
Nov 07, 2012, 09:15 PM
Come fly with us in Henryetta
Sounds like you might have one of the old style thin foam versions. I actually prefer them.
They are not as strong as the later version with the thicker foam in the wings and tail feathers.

Where on the wings are they braking? And what is your set up on the plane?
Wes

Quick Reply