Nov 01, 2007, 02:38 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Buzz glad you are alive to talk about it. I had a similar experience back in my youth where I was going 90 down a dark road. Missed a turn and went of the road. Before I could hit the brakes I was airborn. That's all I remember. Car flew into the side of a parked tracker trailer and then rolled down a hill back into the street. I was pronounced dead at the scene by an EMT. Must have been his first day cause I was still kicking. I don't remember but they say I came to at the scene and started cursing at the cops. First thing I do remember is being in a hospital bed where I remained for a few weeks.

Puts things in perspective though. I'm sure you loved that car but it is worth nothing compared to your life.

Hope you recover soon.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2007, 05:33 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
Doug, I'm sure you can appreciate how fast things happen at this speed.
60 mph is 88 feet/sec., so 120 mph is 176 feet/sec. Assuming you scrubbed off about 20 mph (hard to do on grass), you can cover some distance in a mere "second". My big "whump" came at the Ledges, at considerably slower speeds. However, it was the last race I participated in, other than autocross. You could consider vintage racing. Of course, as I was bluntly told at a Sebring event, vintage applies to the cars, not the drivers!!

So, get mended, and maybe we might toss a brew or two if I get over your way!

RD

Oh yeah, your Moth misses you, so git her done...
Nov 01, 2007, 07:24 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Quote:
...........then, you'd better watch out.... especially you chucky! ;D .......

Buzz
Uh Oh!!!! What you gonna do....huh? show up over here and fly at 25'

Chuck
Nov 01, 2007, 08:28 PM
KLH
KLH
Pack Rat
Buzz
Just got back from a trip to TX so have missed lots of stuff here on the Zone. Glad that you survived and are well enough to talk about it.
I gave up racing on the tracks a long time ago. Every once and awhile I've been known to exceed the posted speed limit on the public roads, but not in the 140 mph area.

Kern
Nov 01, 2007, 08:48 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Hi this is Mrs. Buzz, he can't type right now but he wanted me to show you all how fortunate he really was. Attached find pictures of what is left of his new Porsche.....I don't know how he is alive, but if he ever goes that fast again he'll be riding with himself from now on.
Nov 01, 2007, 09:20 PM
This was on a racetrack?
Nov 01, 2007, 09:23 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace
This was on a racetrack?
Nope see #5363
boomer
Nov 01, 2007, 09:36 PM
This was on a road? I very glad you survived but doing 140 on the street is, well, I don't even know what word to use.
Nov 02, 2007, 07:19 AM
Last seen fleeing Detroit

Maybe uninformed..??

Buzz oughta take the insurance check & get a C-class Mercedes like mine...260 horses and it'll take them corners like an Indy car.Of course, my 'Moth flys higher than 25 feet too...
Nov 02, 2007, 09:19 AM
nerd
Quote:
...doing 140 on the street is, well, I don't even know what word to use
Speed never kills. It's the sudden lack of speed that kills.
/A
Nov 02, 2007, 12:03 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace
This was on a road? I very glad you survived but doing 140 on the street is, well, I don't even know what word to use.
140 takes me about 7 seconds to get to. I had slowed down, when this guy ran me off the road. I as only doing 60 or 70 when I hit the tree. It comes to light now, that there was a second vehicle involve....that being a red crotch rocket coming out the S curve at abou 100mp. He was on my side of the line and I had nowhere to go. The police and the Highway patrol are looking for this guy based on the color of the bike, his helmet and and the light colored leathers he was wearing. If they find him he goes straight to jail, no questions asked! I was not charged with the accident.... and although i flipped afew times.. the car only went about 60 ft. before it stopped.

No, I dn't drive like a maniac, but if I don't blow the porsche out once a week it won't run right. The road this happened on is the road I love on. It is usually desolate and void of any traffic......

i'm actually thinking of buying another porsche!
Nov 02, 2007, 12:07 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
The road this happened on is the road I love on. It is usually desolate and void of any traffic......
Oooooo....can you say "back seat"??

RD
Nov 02, 2007, 12:11 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYPILEIT
Buzz oughta take the insurance check & get a C-class Mercedes like mine...260 horses and it'll take them corners like an Indy car.Of course, my 'Moth flys higher than 25 feet too...
No thanks! I'm a Porsche man... I push 400hp....0 to 100 and back to zero in a bit more than six seconds.

Hey I can still fly!! I've been flying heli's indoors.... and the orthopedic specailist put on a new cast so I can type... I'm still a hutrin' gator.... but I'm not finished with my life yet!

You just had to throw the 25 ft. moth in there, didn't you?
Nov 02, 2007, 12:13 PM
Quote:
No, I dn't drive like a maniac, but if I don't blow the porsche out once a week it won't run right. The road this happened on is the road I love on. It is usually desolate and void of any traffic......

i'm actually thinking of buying another porsche!
If you can afford the car than you can afford a proper place to "blow it out" (whatever that means) instead of on a road with other traffic.

Why should the other guy speeding go "straight to jail" and not someone who was driving 140?

Driving that fast on the street is just as bad, if not worse, than DWI.
Nov 02, 2007, 12:17 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
GWS Tiger Moth Thread ??

Quick Reply