Jul 07, 2006, 04:32 PM

Throws?

First off Luis, glad to see you buddy. Reminds me of my ultralight days, if only I could fly them again, if only I could afford to fly them now.

I got the wing rigging wires done for my 2nd Moth, she isn't going to be as decked out as I had planned oh well. All these months just getting moved from one spot to another she already has some hanger rash. Now I just want to get her in the air.

Found a old GWS reciever this afternoon and have it hooked up. Need to cut some of the battery area out so my old 2 cell 800 lipos will fit. Thats next while I wait for a answer.

The manual for the TM is long gone. I'm wondering what are the rudder/elevator throws suppose to be? Right now I have a good 1/2" of up and down on the elevator. The rudder is at max settings too.

CrashinJ
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2006, 02:12 AM
Throws sound good for throwing her about, you could always dial in some calmer rates for 1st flight though.
Jul 09, 2006, 08:05 PM

My 2nd Moth

Well this lil project took over a year to do, so do I get the slowest builder award? I wanted to deck it out and in the end just wanted to get it flying. In that peroid of time it had suffered some paint chip hanger rash.

Had its maiden the other day, and somehow I cracked the wing getting from the car to the house. I don't think I was flying it that way. I fixed the wing but noticed the wing rigging wires are not tight anymore. Does not seem to affect flight tho. I think its got about a dozen flights right now.

The nose cowl (a Kitty production) looks so good I don't want to paint it. To me it looks great on the blue body.

Just thought I show you a couple of pictures of it, and prove it flys great!!

CrashinJ
Jul 10, 2006, 10:02 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Wow!

That looks great Jerry! Amazed to see the cowl naked and unpainted!

I'm up at the cottage this week, have the moth all trimmed out for float flying, all I need to do now is fly when the girls are awake and not out fishing so they can take some pics!

Anyhoo, have til Saturday to get some good shots! I'll keep y'all posted!

K
Jul 11, 2006, 01:41 PM
Well if I knew what color the cowl is I'd paint it that color. I like it against the blue fuse. LOL

CrashinJ
Jul 11, 2006, 02:45 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashin J
Well if I knew what color the cowl is I'd paint it that color. I like it against the blue fuse. LOL

CrashinJ
Ok....I give up. Tell me what your landing gear is made of. I'm getting ready to build moth #2, and I want the LG strong, but light.
Jul 11, 2006, 02:47 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
I just about got my moth all rebuilt, it actully came out a little lighter then before the bad crash, it tops the scales this time at 8 ounces flat, however, I still have to ad flying wires, and paint the cowl.

before the crash, and with less paint, it came in at 8.5 ounces, somehow I think I['m forgetting something.

I got that braded spiderwire fishing line for the flying wires, but the stuff is green, it there a way to get it black? like food dye or something?
Jul 11, 2006, 03:02 PM
Buzz, thats the landing gear from my 1st Moth. All I did was take some heavier piano wire bent the basic shape. Before I bent the part that actually hold the wheels I put some streamline tubing over it. Then bent the wire up and put the wheels on. You can get that tubing at just about any hobby shop. Its mostly used for struts on wings, example J-3.

CrashinJ
Jul 11, 2006, 04:58 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashin J
Buzz, thats the landing gear from my 1st Moth. All I did was take some heavier piano wire bent the basic shape. Before I bent the part that actually hold the wheels I put some streamline tubing over it. Then bent the wire up and put the wheels on. You can get that tubing at just about any hobby shop. Its mostly used for struts on wings, example J-3.

CrashinJ
Kinda grows on me, the more I look at it.

Stuart, before you start stringing your wiring, get a black indelible ink marker pen. Place the pen on the end of the string, then pull it under the pen as you press it down onto an old piece of paper. You might need to do it twice to get both sides of the string the right color. I'm trying to come up with ideas about what I want to put in the white Pico Moth I'm going to start building soon. I have a great motor... Lens outrunner.. but I can't decide on a design. Maybe a rainbow.... no, you know what I mean.... a rainbow that doesn't mean anything. Anyway, a lot of different colors in a burst on the top wing.

Does anyone know how to build a banner to tow? I'm thinking tissue paper and 2 small pieces of carbon fiber rod. Should be no problem with the brushless outrunner.
Jul 11, 2006, 06:15 PM
Rich
Hi Buzz,
Where do you get the Lens motor? Thought he was out of business.
Rich
Jul 11, 2006, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
Kinda grows on me, the more I look at it.

Stuart, before you start stringing your wiring, get a black indelible ink marker pen. Place the pen on the end of the string, then pull it under the pen as you press it down onto an old piece of paper. You might need to do it twice to get both sides of the string the right color. I'm trying to come up with ideas about what I want to put in the white Pico Moth I'm going to start building soon. I have a great motor... Lens outrunner.. but I can't decide on a design. Maybe a rainbow.... no, you know what I mean.... a rainbow that doesn't mean anything. Anyway, a lot of different colors in a burst on the top wing.

Does anyone know how to build a banner to tow? I'm thinking tissue paper and 2 small pieces of carbon fiber rod. Should be no problem with the brushless outrunner.
the banner I've got to see

while I was at work tonight, there was a professional pin striper here doing some tool boxes, and a employees truck, and I just happend to have my moth with me. so I showed it to him, he said for 20 bucks he'd pin stripe it for me, something you might find on a 30-ish John Deere Tractor, I had to make an apointment with the guy so sometime next week I should be getting it done. the guy does good work from what I saw, I told him to have at it with the moth and do what ever he thinks looks right, I'll post pics when I get it done.

I was thinking that because the moth is green anyway, the green flying wires probably wouldn't look so bad, if I don't like it, I can always change it out.
Jul 11, 2006, 10:20 PM
Come fly with us in Henryetta
Sounds cool! I do hope he uses foam safe paint!
Jul 11, 2006, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc
Sounds cool! I do hope he uses foam safe paint!
he said he would, but I was thinking of getting him some of the Apple Barrel paint that I've used on it, maybe some more yellow, or black

what do you think a good pin stripe color would be on the plane?

I had a bud Nossen champ pin striped a few years ago by a family friend from New York, and he did a really good job on it, so I'm kinda excited about this one, I might have him do more after I see this one done.;
Jul 11, 2006, 11:17 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
A Banner!!, now this is something I've got to see.
Jul 11, 2006, 11:33 PM
WHAT THE...
I have actually considered having a banner myself recently...see my thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540016

The biggest concern I had was what it would do to my center of gravity...

and then there was where to hang it from without interfering with the rudder

Quick Reply