Jun 06, 2006, 10:06 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
It's supposed to read AGL (above ground level) so I assume the mini barometer takes a reading at ground level or the level at which the plane is launched. Then, as higher altitudes are reached, the barametric pressure will get slightly less. The difference will be the AGL and "flashed" accordingly. Won't know until I fly her!!

If it works out, I will consider one for TM #2, and install the LED right thru the instrument panel, after pasting the display on first. Would look rather neat!!

Happy Moth'ing.

RDS
Keep us posted on how it works out, Doug. That's a pretty cool little deal for the money.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2006, 07:42 PM
Elfi Flyer

High Flying Moth

Well, folks, we finally got the chance to fly the Moth and check out the altimeter device. Wind was calm to trace wind conditions, close to 8:00 PM, so up she went. Once I got up into clean air, the breeze was very light but constant, perfect for floating the Moth at high altitudes. Brought her in early, just 12-1/2 minutes of flying time. Could not get the altimeter to read back out on the strip, but then it was getting towards dusk. On the bench, under a more focused light, still had a problem with getting the device to read back. Apparently, the shadow of my finger was not as clearly defined, or of sufficient contrast to trip the sensor for read back function. So, I tried a little device I discovered while at the doctors office. I "installed" that, on the appropriate finger, and did the 4 pass wave as so instructed. Bingo, the altimeter read back the height, AGL, via flashes. I had estimated mentally how high the Moth had flown, knowing I had been notably higher in past flights. Did NOT want to spec her out at this point, just see if the altimeter worked. It did, and here is the result:

Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash.......Flash, Flash.......Flash, Flash

Yep, 622 feet. Now I am more than sure I have approached 800-900 feet in some past flights. The wings were still clearly visable at 600 feet. When I experienced the "under fly" via a full scale plane, the Moth was a mere yellow spec, no discernable outline. Simply (requiring a riveted attention) a mere yellow dot moving slowly.

Can't wait for a full spec-out flight!!

RD
Jun 07, 2006, 07:22 AM
Rich
Now that is really kewl Doug.
Rich
Jun 07, 2006, 08:23 AM
Elfi Flyer
Next comes the pitot tube, followed by the on-board port-a-potty!

RD
Jun 07, 2006, 08:56 AM
Rich
What, no hostess serving cocktails? Come, come must upgrade.
Jun 07, 2006, 09:40 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Wow, Doug! I'm impressed with that little thing. Actually, I'm impressed with anything that flies over 25ft. high. I'm gonna look into one of those when I build the white TM.
I gotta get a brushless ESC first.
Jun 07, 2006, 10:41 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Buzzz, Make sure the ESC is rated for use above 25!
Jun 07, 2006, 11:34 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
Buzzz, Make sure the ESC is rated for use above 25!
I've been looking at one that is equipped with an oxygen supply!
Jun 07, 2006, 03:07 PM
Your INVERTED!
OK, so can anyone tell me a quick link to Pico Moth mods that need to be done? I just picked up my first ever moth....Want to build it right the first time. Planning on stock power for now, but 2 cell 800 lipo's for juice as I have 4 already from my heli. Will be using 2 picos, a Hitec 05S RX, and GWS GS-100E for esc. Please any tips, advice, links to advice, bring it......Any and all. Thanks alot, Chris
Jun 07, 2006, 03:17 PM
Hi Chris, congrats and welcome to the Tigermoth Squadron.

All the parts you list will work perfectly.

Here's my little bit of advice, in the form of a thread I started on the building of my second Moth, used all the mods that worked well on the first and added a couple more. Even though that was a couple of years ago it's still flying. But does look a slightly worn after these couple of years since I built it.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=59561

Wayne
Jun 07, 2006, 04:46 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Well, headed off to NYC for a few guys and gals. I'll have my laptop with me to say HI.
Jun 07, 2006, 04:53 PM
Come fly with us in Henryetta
Why do you need a few guys and gals? Are you running low?
Jun 07, 2006, 07:18 PM
Elfi Flyer

Ho - Hum - and High

Great evening, once again, for Moth flying. Basically dead calm until you get some altitude (spelled 25 feet and then some... ) afterwhich the breeze is very light and steady. Thought I would "push the elevator" a little bit more and see what I could get for a decent view way up high. 26-1/2 minute flight, TP 1320 2S1P ProLite showed 7.61 resting voltage after the Moth was down and unplugged. The altimeter, after much coaxing, flashed it's reading. 813 feet. And the wings were still clearly discernable at that height, as was the yellow color when the sun hit the plane just right.

I may have to relocate the sensor, as recommended by Dave of Winged Shadow Systems, to get a better triggering of the readback flashes. For the moment, however, this device adds a whole new dimension to flying my Moth!

Buzz: You MUST get one for your pending Moth. Don't leave ground without it!

RD
Jun 08, 2006, 11:04 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Great evening, once again, for Moth flying. Basically dead calm until you get some altitude (spelled 25 feet and then some... ) afterwhich the breeze is very light and steady. Thought I would "push the elevator" a little bit more and see what I could get for a decent view way up high. 26-1/2 minute flight, TP 1320 2S1P ProLite showed 7.61 resting voltage after the Moth was down and unplugged. The altimeter, after much coaxing, flashed it's reading. 813 feet. And the wings were still clearly discernable at that height, as was the yellow color when the sun hit the plane just right.

I may have to relocate the sensor, as recommended by Dave of Winged Shadow Systems, to get a better triggering of the readback flashes. For the moment, however, this device adds a whole new dimension to flying my Moth!

Buzz: You MUST get one for your pending Moth. Don't leave ground without it!

RD
I'm just trying to leave the ground....period! Why is the location of the sensor so critical? 813ft? You'll be able to go over 1000 easy. My altitude record is 1228ft. That was with a Wingo with a BIG altimeter in it. That was the day I got thrown out of the airport! Two cop cars blocked me in and said to get it down FAST! I was confusing the guy in the tower. Seems the guy in the tower was trying to radio my Wingo to clear airspace over an active runway! LMAO!!!
Jun 08, 2006, 12:45 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Buzz,
You are a wealth of commical stories. Hard to believe you're still in one piece!

Doug,
That sure is a neat toy you have there... It would make a great xmas gift if I can get my parents to grab one.

Corey

Quick Reply