Apr 27, 2006, 10:16 PM
FASST flyer
Thread OP
Discussion

Need a 540 sized planetary geared motor - that works

I need a couple planetary geared motors in the "540", or Hacker B50-XL range, for a couple profile planes. I need/want geared planetary so I don't have to hog out too much of the profile fuselage for the motor diameter, or an external gearbox (as in the attached photo). This is for 6s batteries at 1000 watts.

The attached photo is a Fiegao which eats gearboxes like they're going out of style. I have a Hacker B50-11XL that was purchased with a 5.2:1 gearbox, but it spun two pinions in short order, and the last time it was repaired they installed a C50 rotor and switched the ratio to 6.7:1, which is unacceptable because that requires running a 22 inch prop to obtain the necessary power for a 3D plane this size, and a 22 inch prop is way to big for a plane this size.

The fins on a Hacker C50 are prohibitive because of the increased diameter, requiring hogging out the fuse farther. I have another profile that I also need a motor for.

Any suggestions? I'm at the end of my rope here
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2006, 10:45 PM
Check out our Astro 40 planetary motor ratio 3.7 to 1
over 1000 watts. typical props 15 to 16 inch dia
go to www.astrofliight.com
astrobob
Apr 28, 2006, 11:23 AM
FASST flyer
Thread OP
You've got my attention Bob.

990 watts on 6s lipoly might be enough, but could I swing a 17 inch prop on 6s to boost that up a little if necessary?

Thanks!
Last edited by KatManDEW; Apr 28, 2006 at 07:52 PM.
May 01, 2006, 07:47 PM
And You're Not
I have the same plane (well had, it crashed but I got another) with the Neu 1512/2D 5.2:1 on 5S. It works really well, there is some vids posted of it flying around here someplace. You could probably run the 2.5D (2000Kv vs 2600 Kv) on 6S. I get a little over 1300 watts on a 17X8E. It comes with either a finned or smooth case, I have the finned on mine and I didn't have to take too much out of the mount.
May 01, 2006, 07:53 PM
Kat, details on that prop adapter please.
May 04, 2006, 06:55 AM
100% electric since 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatManDEW
You've got my attention Bob.

990 watts on 6s lipoly might be enough, but could I swing a 17 inch prop on 6s to boost that up a little if necessary?

Thanks!
I've been playing with both the 4 turn and 3 turn astro 40's for a couple of weeks, and I like them. The 4-turn is the one that astro stocks, and the 3 turn is available with a week or so wait time.

The 4-turn is rated for 60 amps peak, so a 17-10 or 17-8 might be good 3-d props for this motor on 6s. This motor really likes 7s.

The 3-turn motor is awesome, I have mine in an e-sport on 5s drawing only 52 amps and it literally feels like it is at ambient temperature when I land (don't have a temp gun).

Here are some test runs, with the motor kv's adjusted to match my bench testing. The first is the regular astro 40 planetary with a 17-10, the second is the 3 turn with astro's planetary. The third is if you use your existing 5.2:1 gearbox from the hacker or figao on the 3 turn. The astro's fit any standard gearbox for 5mm shafts, and this motor with a higher ratio gearbox really comes alive.
Last edited by twest; May 04, 2006 at 07:22 AM.
May 04, 2006, 11:15 PM
FASST flyer
Thread OP
adamg: You mean the motor mount? That's just a piece of fiberglass laminate bolted to the fuse with some pieces of aluminum angle. It was a sweet way to do it. Quick, solid, and effective with minimal modification of the the stock nose construction. I have more photos if you want.

twest: That looks great. I don't have a gearbox because the Feigao roached both my Fiegao boxes. I got a Maxon box for it last week but the pinion was too long and wouldn't slide onto the Fiegao motor shaft far enough. So I cut the pinion down, but the entire Maxon box imploded within seconds. Nothing but shrapnel inside the gearbox.

The Astro 3 turn looks great with a 5.2:1 box, but I'm not sure I want to chance getting another Maxon box individually and having it not fit (on the Astrto this time), and imploding on me. That cost me a C-note and more wasted time last week....

The Neu with stock 5.2:1 box looks like a good candidate. Where did you mount the batteries Jeffery? I have two 3s packs, one in each wing.

Thanks all!!!! I will whip this because I really want this plane back in the air.
May 05, 2006, 09:02 AM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatManDEW
The Neu with stock 5.2:1 box looks like a good candidate. Where did you mount the batteries Jeffery? I have two 3s packs, one in each wing.
I had a 5S 2600 pack in each wing, pretty much like you had yours, then one more cross ways right behind those. That gave me 75A without having to run over 10C. I left the bottom open on both sides and used Velcro straps to hold the packs in. Had a 5 cell 1050 RX pack right behind the 5S pack setting cross ways. I'll be rigging the 2nd one up soon, I'll try to get pics.

I blatantly ripped off your motor mount idea, used 4 layers of 1/32" G-10 and aluminum angle for the brackets.

Here's the vid: http://www.netlight.org/chuckskat.wmv I don't think you can pick out any detail from it..

A couple of pics, I had to move the ele and rud servos up under the wing, I glued to wing in solid, to get it to balance.
May 05, 2006, 02:10 PM
KatmenDEW:

Have you tried the Kontronik's gearboxes or their geared motors?
I have bought many of those kpg-27 boxes and installed in various motors which operates at 800W to 1500W in scale planes and sport pattern plains. My friend use one upto 2080W in an AVEOX in one of his his big 3m gliders. None of these gearbox fail yet.
Those Kontronik's boxes is quite compact and light weight compared to many similar class products. Their price is really reasonable, I have bought almost a dozen in different ratios, 3.7, 4.2 and 5.2:1, from a US model shop called Hobby Towers. The 5:1 ones have pin bearings which is not facilitated in some higher priced ones, like Robbe.
No matter what brand to use, clean the motor shaft and 'genuine' (many counterfeits in the market this day) Locktite 648 (green one, the red one is low temp type) must be used and be sure to have at least 24 hours for drying before any movement to it.

Best,

Johson
May 05, 2006, 03:45 PM
100% electric since 1990
Kontronic GBs are very inexpensive compared to other planetary gearboxes.

But- they don't work on motors with 5mm shafts. You need a motor with a 1/8th (3.14 mm) shaft. Trust me, I've looked at tower hobbies' price of $59 for the 5.2:1 planetary (compared to over $100 for most others) but unless I can get a motor's shaft ground down to 1/8" they are useless.
May 05, 2006, 06:33 PM
FASST flyer
Thread OP
Awesome video Jeffery. I wish I could fly that well. I'm glad to hear the motor mount worked for you too. Moving the servos forward is a good idea since I have an ounce of lead on my nose, and I'm on the verge of being tail heavy.

Motor shaft size is not a problem for me because as soon as I find an Abrahms main battle tank, I'm going to use it to run over my Feigao motor.

I'll price the Kontronics and Neu's and Astro's, and check the numbers on all of them in Mojocalc. I hope to figure it out and order something before the end of the weekend.

I was pulling a little over 50 amps with the pink junk motor and gearbox. Very good power, for about 15 flights per gearbox I don't think the Feigao was going to last much longer anyway because the endbells are about ready to fall out
May 05, 2006, 07:14 PM
And You're Not
That wasn't me flying That was The Termagator (Gator for short) I have some more video, I've never tried to post a video here that wasn't already hosted someplace else..
May 05, 2006, 07:44 PM
FASST flyer
Thread OP
I still wish I could fly that well I'm familiar with the infamous Gator. More video would be good. It would make me more disgusted with myself, but it would be good
May 05, 2006, 08:23 PM
And You're Not
Well, since it's your thread, I don't feel too bad hijacking it with a vid.

Anyway, there is a short montage of stills at the first, shows a pic of this mount up close, a pic of my Mojo 40 (red and purple transparent with a Hacker on it) a pic of Ulf Rieder's OMP Boxxer E-powered. Then it's just glow planes for the first 3:30 or so. The rest of the vid is the Kat 70, first flown by Tony D (YNOT), then Gator again when the music changes. At least one full power take off in there.

Fiddlesticks, the file is too large and I don't have any way to crop it.

Not to be deterred, I got it hosted Here Please "Right Click" and "Save Target As" to your hard drive.
Last edited by Jeffery; May 05, 2006 at 09:11 PM.
May 05, 2006, 10:01 PM
FASST flyer
Thread OP
Another spectacular video! Any more details on the E-powered Mojo 40 and OMP Boxer? I have a Accel profile Pitts that I want to e-power.

Quick Reply