This thread is privately moderated by Voyager E, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 10, 2002, 05:26 PM
Trader Rating: -1
Thread OP

Need help - possible fraud Louisianna

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this... if not my apologies.

I recently put up an ad to sell or trade my brand new in box Futaba 9C radio set. I was contacted by a guy named:

Joe Logiudice of Metairie, Louisianna

He offered to trade a ready to fly collective pitch Piccolo along with extra parts and batteries. I agreed. We exchanged addresses and I sent the radio.

Almost 2 weeks later I have yet to see the Picco. Numerous emails to him are not responded to.

He also goes by "centuryheliguy" on ebay.

Does anyone in the New Orleans area know of him or how he may be contacted?

I've had many successful trades online before but it looks like I may have been hosed on this one.

HELP!

DJ Vegh
www.raptoronline.com
Mesa, AZ
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2002, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
Update

I posted the same message about my misfortune on another rc chat forum, and I also posted a message on the home page of my site.

I got an email from him last night (how convenient) stating that he "just got back in town" and the radio was not at his house... and that he would check with the neighbors.

Sounds like a load of crap to me. I'll lay a dollar on a dime that he will respond today and say "nope... nothing at the neighbors" I'll need to find someone down there who knows him and see if he's using a shiny new Futaba 9C.

he should have emailed me and said he was leaving town and not to expect the radio.... it's be th epolite thing to do.

I did get an email from a guy who knows of him and says he will try to stop by his house today.

will report back with my findings

DJ

www.raptoronline.com
Jul 11, 2002, 10:33 AM
Trader Rating: 0
What delivery service did you use. You might be able to see if it was delivered. Good luck.

P.S. did you ever get his phone #

Tim
Jul 11, 2002, 10:33 AM
Trader Rating: 22

Fraud

You sent the radio, why didn't he send the copter??? I think you have a problem!
Jul 11, 2002, 04:36 PM
Trader Rating: 5
Giving him the benefit of doubt, here is the lingo:

Did you guys agree to cross ship? Or are you buying his Piccolo with your Futaba?

During a normal sale, the seller receives the money and then they send you the item. Even in a trade situation, what takes precedence?

In a trade situation, you may stand to loose everything.

Credit card charge can be challanged, money order can be traced when deposited, postal money order (collecting the money but not sending the item) can invoke mail fraud, even PayPal gives you 30 days to complain now.

You may need to keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best now. It is, however, fortunate that you find a guy that can physically hunt him down. Best of luck.

AA
Jul 12, 2002, 08:45 AM
AA,

Good point and I agree. With that said if you read DJ's first post you will notice that it was DJ who started the deal. The guy in Louisiana contacted him so given this DJ showed very good faith in the first place by sending the radio. If anything the heli should have shown up first and then the radio sent.

DJ is a well know guy around here and I would not hesitate to do business with him. From what I gather about him it is not a surprise that he showed good faith and sent the expensive radio.

Best of luck and lets hope it turns out for the best. Keep us posted.

John

BTW, did you ever sell news VE?
Jul 12, 2002, 10:52 AM
Trader Rating: 76
Lipoly Killer

Possible contacts

DJ, I found the following under "Logiudice" in the New Orleans phone book, unfortunately no Joe:
Dominick
Nick
R
Salvatore
Sharon
"R", Salvatore and Sharon reside in Metairie. The rest live in the NO area. What's the address that you shipped to?
Jul 12, 2002, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
I didn't want to give his address until I knew more about the situation, but he's sent me a couple emails yesterday and I've come to the conclusion that he is definatley being deceptive.

He has given me conflicting stories and saying things that scare me. Basically he's saying "sorry dude, I'm not sending anything"

You can read a complete chronological review of the entire transaction and see for yourself that he's clearly snaking out of this.

read it here:

http://www.imagedv.com/raptoronline/joe-story.htm

anyone who could drop him an email for me is welcome. I need all the help I can get.

his info is as follows:
Joe Logiudice
2105 N. Woodlawn
Metairie, La. 70001

phone
504-885-0867

DJ Vegh
www.raptoronline.com
Jul 12, 2002, 12:37 PM
Trader Rating: 20
Let's fly!
DJ,
From the looks of his email, he's not an English major. Have you spoken with him over the phone? Also, have you followed up with the postal service, or local law enforment agencies? My advice would be to document everything you do, and anything that he does.

I can't stand it when I see stuff like this.

Flying Low
Jul 12, 2002, 12:55 PM
Did you have insurance on the package. If its over $100 insurance, the USPS cant just drop it off, someone has to sign for it. If you did get insurance, see if someone signed for the package. It does sound fishy.
Last edited by SiRacer; Jul 12, 2002 at 02:16 PM.
Jul 12, 2002, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
unfortunatley I did not get insurance.

I have had so many good transactions over the past couple of years that I figured I wouldn't need it.

Stupid me. Never again.

Everyone be on the lookout for this guy. He goes by "centuryheliguy" on alot of the rc forums.

DJ Vegh
www.raptoronline.com
Jul 12, 2002, 01:43 PM
Trader Rating: 32
Live to ride... and fly!
Yup, that sounds pretty cut and dried. Just gather up your correspondence, go to your local post office and file mail fraud charges. They will assign an investigator who will give your buddy a call. You'd be surprised how quickly people change their minds about not sending something out when they get a call from a federal investigator.

Don't worry about the fact that your package wasn't insured, that doesn't give him free reign to screw you over. I think it's pretty clear from his emails that he had criminal intent.
Jul 12, 2002, 07:03 PM
Trader Rating: 258
D.G.B.

Man what a piece of ***********

Boy this burns me up!!!!! I like to know why we are haveing all this trouble with internet business here?? I real think the Jim needs to look into makeing a specail area for transaction postings and a sellers rateing. Isn't there enough trouble with the country try to **** over the hard working stiffs like us! Why do we need to screw each other! DJ wish i could help.I will send a e-mail to him.KOMET44
Latest blog entry: phasor 15-4 old skool
Jul 12, 2002, 07:37 PM
Trader Rating: 5
If you manage to get any law enforcement involved, you still need to PROVE that he received it. It is going to be tough when you use a shipping method that does not require signature.

Here is a story that "I" can fabricate:

"I meant to sent the heli to you when I sent you the email. However, I had to leave town on an emergency for over a week before I could get to sending it. I did not have email access to notify you while out of town. When I came back, I did not see any package at my door and I checked with my neighbor without any luck. I thought you backed out of the deal and did not think twice until you contacted me again. Now since I have still not received the radio, I am not going to send you the heli. The postman could have left it on the front and was stolen and what???, you did not ship with insurance? That's not my fault!!! ..."

I can go on and believe me, I have NEVER, NEVER pull such a stunt on anyone. Being able to make up stories does not mean I have done that before. The fabrication came from many pieces of stories I heard over the years dealing with people online.

Fine, we all know he may be lying his ??? off but you have to 'prove' that he actually received your radio. Now, if anyone spots him having fun with a Futaba 9ch radio, then you have to 'prove' that it is 'your' radio. Would you happen to have kept the serial number on your radio though? Any other things that may prove you were the owner? Your postal receipt?

If you plan to persue via the legal route, you will need prove other than documentation. Remember, if all you said are true and you mailed the radio to him via USPS, he may have committed mail fraud and that's a federal criminal offense. The federal DA will have to prove beyond reasonable doubt and they have no reason to believe your word over his, everything else being equal.

AA

PS Tres is right about going to the PO and file charges. It usually works when people were lying and are scared to deal with the fed. (most people are) But be prepare to deal with the worst case scenario above.
Jul 12, 2002, 10:05 PM
Trader Rating: 32
Live to ride... and fly!
AA-

==It usually works when people were lying and are scared to deal with the fed. (most people are) But be prepare to deal with the worst case scenario above.==

You make some excellent points, but like you said there's nothing like a call or visit from a federal investigator to get someone's attention. Those guys have heard it all and a few more lies on top of the other lies are not going to dissuade them. I personally have never had to pursue this route, but twice in my dealings on eBay (5 years and about 400 transactions) I've had to threaten it. Just the threat was enough to get my items. It was no idle threat either, I was fully prepared to pursue action.

Over the years I have advised several people in situations similar to this. Some of them have had to file charges. It is really easy, just present your email printouts to the postmaster general of your local post office, explain the situation and they take care of the rest. They assign an investigator that is in the perp's area, and that investigator will typically call to let the perp know they will be paying them a visit shortly. Usually that's all it takes, the item is in the mail the next day! Darned near anyone will not consider the petty theft of an item worth 200 bucks or less to be worth tangling with a federal investigator!

I read DJ's emails and it sounds pretty clear to me that the perp is lying. I think any logically minded person would come to the same conclusion, so that's why I think there's solid ground for prosecution. While there is a tiny chance the item in fact did not arrive, that chance drops to zero when you evaluate the obvious lie presented in the email that the deal was never finalized.

Good luck DJ, please let us know the outcome.

Quick Reply