Apr 26, 2006, 04:21 PM
Fizzy lifting drinks BRRP
Discussion

Scratch composite Build Questions.

I have been doing some research regarding scratch building a composite sailplane. this will be a totaly new endeavor for me and my buddy. i have decided that I want to start by making a mold so that I can reproduce parts as I destroy them. I am pretty sure that I want to make an epoxy mold for the fuse. I plan on making a plug out foam. I am not entirely sure what kind of foam yet but I already have some Spider foam. this stuff was pretty expensive so I think I want to save it for the foamcore wings. I have seen peolple use bondo and some other materials to make a smooth surface on the plug. I was wondering if anyone has tried using bidirectionaly fibred strapping tape to cover the plug. I have been using this stuff to cover EPP fuses recently and after a good ironing you can't even feel the overlaps. I think it would make for a really smooth surface for the mold.

thanks,

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2006, 05:09 PM
Composites forum, full of better men than I is over that way
<---------------------