Jul 12, 2002, 08:11 PM
jah
jah
BALD MEMBER
Chuck, great pics and report. I picked one up at SEFF, was planning on using a Dual IPS with the C gear. Can you post pics of how you mounted the motor?

Thanks, and great job!!!

PS: I got the same motor as yours, totally round.

Jerry
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2002, 08:15 PM
Jah, you can see how he mounted it on the "building the pitts....." thread.
Jul 12, 2002, 11:44 PM
Leave me alone!
Those are great pics! Noooooo! I don't need another plane! OK, maybe I do
Jul 13, 2002, 01:44 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Thread OP
Spaulding
Well, I gotta admit, I'm not the most accomplished lander out there, in fact most of mine are barely controlled stall & fall with a big bounce type landings, so a better pilot could probably just grease it right in. The video(which I have watched several times) makes it look easy enough.

JAH
Here's a front/back pic of the motor mount. I just whipped up a quick and dirty trial version, using 1/32 ply with 1/16 ply for stiffeners. I used the 3 screw holes in the DX gearbox and 3 servo screws to hold it to the mount, then screwed the mount to the firewall. If you look at the top you can see where the screw pulled thru when I tried to land with the 1047 prop. Due to the short LG on this little plane, anything with a larger diameter than an 8 inch prop will be sure to hit the ground on landings.

Does anyone know how to figure the polarity on the motor without connecting it up to see which way it runs?
I hope to fly it today with the stock motor and a 6X270 batt if it doesn't rain.

Chuck
Last edited by Chuck; Jul 13, 2002 at 01:55 PM.
Jul 13, 2002, 02:44 PM
Looks good Chuck.
You will want to break the motor in anyway before installing it. You will see the polarity then.
Jul 13, 2002, 02:50 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Thread OP
Kevin:

I've never broken a motor in. I've broken a couple. How does one go about it?

Chuck
Jul 13, 2002, 03:09 PM
I do the underwater break in thing.
Put a tiny amount of dish detergent in a glass of water.
put the can motor (No Ball Bearing motors please) in the water and run it on 2 "D" cell batteries for about five min.

you can search "underwater" and find many variations on this, both here on The Zoze and also on a web browser search.

It helps cut or shape the brushes to the shape of the comm. It will increace motor life, and decreace aching.
Jul 13, 2002, 03:16 PM
I took a look at my Pitts to see which is the positive.
Looking at the motor from the back, and with the little metal jumper that goes from the cap board on the bottom (and is soldered to the motor can), the positive motor terminal is on your right.
Jul 13, 2002, 04:01 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Thread OP
Kevin:

Thanks for the info, I'll try it.
BTW, since you admitted to having a Pitts, how about sharing some experiences and perceptions? Any mods, building tips, flying tips, etc? How do you like it? PIX, we love pix, if you got 'em.

Regards
Chuck
Last edited by Chuck; Jul 13, 2002 at 04:05 PM.
Jul 13, 2002, 04:28 PM
I haven't flown it yet. Finished it just in time for and brought it to SEFF. Too rainy and windy.

Reading your thread has my Pitts juices flowing again.
I'm cycling the pack now.
May maden it tomorrow.
It's built stock but light.
Jul 14, 2002, 12:59 AM
I'm curious as to how it flies....HL says it's for experienced modelers, but you're comparing it to a TM...How difficult is is to fly compared to the moth?
Jul 14, 2002, 10:04 AM
Tried to fly it thes morning in my driveway. Tha spinner kept popping off (it's also the prop nut).
Third attempt. After about a 20 - 26 foot roll out it leaves the ground. Into a 2 gusting to 7 mph head wind. At about 1 foof altitude I put the nose down to gain altitude. It ROG just fine for a Sp 300 draggy biplane. All I did is add rudder input to keep the take-off run straight - It lifted off at a fairly slow speed. I've never seen a TM fly but the speed was just a little faster than a Wingo takeoff.
The spinner poped off again just as I put the nose down. I added lots of up elevator to flair it safely back onto the concrete.

My 6 year old son said,
Daddy Why don't you glue that on ?

Glue now
Flight at dusk
Flight report at 11

RTF weight is 11.1 oz:
essentialy a stock set-up
7 * 350 NiCad
Deans Ultra plug on the batt
Sirius Electronics 10 Amp ESC
GWS 4 Ch Rx
GWS Pico BB servos * 3
Azarr Antenna
Lightened the stock wheels a little
micro balloons on the fillets

BTW I tried to post a pic. Pic was too big.
So I got to type this again, shortened version.
Jul 14, 2002, 11:34 AM
Posted a pic to the gallery. My camera won't make them small enough to post here.

https://www.rcgroups.com/cgi-bin/pho...x.pl?photo=661
Jul 14, 2002, 01:10 PM
Suspended Account
Hmmm...Nice looking 'plane (just waiting for the video to load!)

But one thought came to mind - you intend running these on Qualcomm's? Isn't that likely to be too much for them (should keep the current draw down to approx 2amps on these cells!)

Just seen the video! - Smart!
Jul 14, 2002, 03:33 PM
S300 motors do not require "breaking in". There has been a debate regarding this for hornet s300 motor and it was decided(mainly by Walt) that it really didn't need it to increase life or performance. S400 and larger need it.

Still waiting on my pitts to get here! Has anyone tried the dual ips on it yet? I think it might be the prime setup.

Quick Reply