Apr 22, 2006, 05:39 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Build Log

Texaco Tanker

Got me one of those old 1960's AMF WenMac Texaco Tankers, about 27" long. It was a fixer-upper, so I didn't mind converting it to r/c (originals in great shape with original instructions and box go for $300+). Ground out the free flooding ballast tank, added brass prop and a stainless rudder, big battery, and used the old radio from my Bristol Bay with a Mtroniks ESC.
Repainted everything, made new markings with dry transfers and ink jet decals.
Ran great! On a quiet pond. Took it to a windy/choppy pond today... whoops. Sailed it real far away, bad decision as I couldn't see the water coming over the low freeboard.
Now I need to figure out a grapling hook or something, as they won't let us go swimming in the city pond...

Pat M
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2006, 06:12 PM
nice ship, major bummer! I hope you are able to recover it...
Apr 22, 2006, 06:39 PM

no swimming???

Pat..........

Are you in the mood for a midnight dip?? I sure the heck would be!!

That's a very pretty little ship.

Hope you find a way to retrieve her.

later

doug
Apr 22, 2006, 07:16 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
She did the "Titanic Flip" on the way down... bow went low, then the stern popped up in the air, and she torpedoed straight down.

Yeah, midnight swim... need search lights! But the park guys are there all during the day, and the police station is 200 yds away.

pm
Apr 22, 2006, 08:10 PM
Just shows that a recovery float, tethered to the hull, is a good idea even for non-combat ships (that expect to sink).

JM
Apr 22, 2006, 08:34 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
pat, when you recover her, fill the unused space in the hull with polystyrene,
Apr 22, 2006, 08:34 PM
Is she in fairly shallow water? can you see her if you know where to look?
Apr 22, 2006, 09:08 PM

boat rescue

If the police department is close, you might ask their scuba diver to practice and retreve your boat. My nephew has dived for lost fishing gear, anchors, and other items during practice diving for the sheriff dept. Might not hurt to ask. Jerry J
Apr 22, 2006, 10:01 PM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost 2501
pat, when you recover her, fill the unused space in the hull with polystyrene,
Or as we call it in the US, foam.

I use plastic bags filled with air.
Apr 22, 2006, 11:11 PM

Bigger tanker?

I've got a set of Texaco-type tanker blueprints, that are large enough to build a model over 8ft.long, would surely handle more sea if you're interested.
E-mail me if UR.
Greg
Apr 23, 2006, 06:34 AM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Someday. Actually, I've drawn my own plans for this particular class (the North Dakota) based on original Newport News drawings. Now to find time...
PM
http://www.geocities.com/y2patmat/textanker/
(a site which easily exceeds it's bandwidth allotment)
Apr 23, 2006, 08:50 AM
Pat, I am assuming it went down in the canton pond? I have an inflatable dingy I would be willing to bring out to you if you wish. how deep? I retrived a friends sub last year in about 6' using 2 garden rakes with a bolt thru the handles to create a hinge. let me know I can meet you there today if you want. Regards, John
Apr 23, 2006, 01:58 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
John, didya get my e-mail??
Pat M
Apr 23, 2006, 02:18 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Pat, I hope you guys are able to recover the boat.
Even for combat ships, it can be a lot of work to get a boat running again.
Hopefully all your equipment will recover and work after you retrieve your boat.
Apr 23, 2006, 02:33 PM
"Old 8140"
Patman,

My heart goes out to you! 4 weeks later I got my Vac-U-Tug back approx 50 ft from where she wnt down!

Hope you get er back!!

Quick Reply