Apr 21, 2006, 11:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

I crashed my T-Rex SE in the lake today. It is gone. BAAAD DAY!

Well, it is gone. I knew I was taking a big risk when I'd swing 'er out over the water. Funny thing is, I've never really crashed before. Today, I lost orientation in the sky and she crased hard into the lake. Gone for ever. I had so many upgrades on it, I doubt I'll ever make one as nice again. But also gone is my best battery, the gyro, and new PCM 7 ch receiver, the servos, gorilla gear, carbon fiber tail boom. micro heli upgrades, Arizona Heli Fiberglass Canopy. Hyperion carbon Fiber flybar paddles, Hyperion carbon fiber tail blades, and more. It hit the water and I was left holding a transmitter that is now useless. This is gonna hurt a while!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2006, 11:27 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
it'll hurt your wallet more. see if you could get a boat and go fish it out if it isnt to deep a lake
Apr 21, 2006, 11:29 PM
Heli's rule!
or visit a local dive shop and explain what happend, Ill bet someone would be willing to scuba dive for it for cheap.... way cheaper than a new t-rex.... If I lived near you i'd do it for the cost of the gear rental....
Apr 21, 2006, 11:37 PM
I was considering the dangers of flying over water today... Dacaur has a great point. You may have lost the lipo, and maybe some of the electronics. I'd wager that your servos are still okely dokely. Motor's probably fine also. I wonder what happens to an active lipo when it gets submerged in water? Do you suppose it would short circuit? Even so, there's not that much available oxygen in the water for a full blown fire, now is there..

Dive = ?$$
fully blinged trex with all of those goodies? = ~600.

Do what Dacaur said!
Apr 21, 2006, 11:42 PM
Or take up fishin' and see if you can snag it in..... use some 30+ pound mono and a few large treble hooks, cast out just ahead of the area you think it crashed and reel it in slowly, keep doing this until you get it....... hey I've seen fishin' poles recovered this way.... a couple of times even with the fish that pulled the pole in still on the hook! Just hope one of those monster shovelhead cats didn't swallow it.... they've been known to eat..... just about anything they can fit in thier mouth, and some of the bigger boys could DEFINATLY fit a Trex down thier kisser!
Apr 22, 2006, 12:23 AM
Was it over a lake in redding or by redding because if it was ill get it out for free.(my other hobby is scuba diving)
Apr 22, 2006, 12:28 AM
... sad to hear your loss. I just suffered a major crash two days ago and thought that was almost a total loss, but that is nothing compared to yours.

As other said, you should find someone who is willing to scuba dive and get it back for you. You can at least recover everything less the electronics and motor.

Rudy
Last edited by rudyy; Apr 22, 2006 at 12:40 AM.
Apr 22, 2006, 01:27 AM
That tree again!!!!
darn, that's sad .
Is it a big lake? Hope you can fish it back. Long ago, I saw a guy zooming his boat with a grass trimmer gas engine. It went down because he flipped it. He then later swam out, dove down and got it back safely (I don't recomend you doing it). It was a pretty big lake. He didn't have any diving gear. I don't know how deep it was. All the electronics should be fine unless the water is salty. Take them apart, wash them with fresh water and let them dry. Good luck.

Thanh
Apr 22, 2006, 03:12 AM
Permanently Banned
if you can get some kinda water metal detector.. im sure youll be able to locate the position
Apr 22, 2006, 03:36 AM
Isaiah 40:31
Heartbreaking - I would break down & cry like a little girl!!
Apr 22, 2006, 09:29 AM
Stick these on for your next flight over water (or snow)
Apr 22, 2006, 10:48 AM
I feel your pain. Paying someone to dive for it is a great idea. If you get it back, I'll bet that more of your electronics survived than you would expect.
Apr 22, 2006, 11:14 AM
Hopelessly hooked
....just don't take too long getting it out. the longer its under the water the more electronics you will loose. I had a boat sink in florida fresh water with a few thou in electronics on it. we fished it out and I went to work drying everything (take apart, rinse out let dry for a couple weeks) most of it worked again. some of the screens and monitors didn't work very good but youve got none of that.

best of luck on the recovery....get an experienced diver!
Apr 22, 2006, 11:23 AM
HB CP2, X400
enzothecat,

Search and rescue mission eh, any decent sport diver would enjoy the challenge. Get yourself on local radio and cry for help !!!!
Apr 22, 2006, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
Ok. I went this morning and bought a fishing pole and a big 4 prong hook and weights. Fished for about 5 hours. NOTHING. I even had some poloroid glasses to search through the water but could'nt see it. Then my brother came over and took a rake and went in the muck to search for it. And we still didn't find it. At this point I'm giving up. I've already ordered everything new and am having it expressed here on Monday. Except this time I am trying HS56 servos. But I don't see how I'm going to be able to fit them, because they have two holes for mounting adn the Rex only has one. I refuse to cut holes into my new Rex. I probably will never spent that much on a canopy again though. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I'll never fly near water again. Lesson learned!

And just so you know...I don't think it is more than or 8 or 12 feet from the shore, but the problem is all the MUCK that is in ther. I don't have the heart to ask someone to go diving or it.e. I say lake, but it is actually one of those retention ponds in my neighborhood

Quick Reply