Apr 20, 2006, 09:25 PM
Where's my Coffee!
Thread OP
Build Log

TMRC Slingsby Tutor Build - DONE!!!!!

April 18th - I am starting the beta build of the Tom Martin/Lee Renaud Slingsby Tutor short kit. The kit arrived today and the first step was to inventory the parts. Upon opening the box my wife's cat, Pema, wanted to help check things out.

Everything was securely packed with a bag of misc. parts encloded in a zip-lock bag. All the other parts appeared to be in good shape and ready for building.

April 20th - I took half a day off to begin working on the Tutor. The wing plan is for the left wing only, so I taped the plans to the patio door and traced the wing plan onto the back side of the sheet to create the right wing. This is an easy way to build the second wing.

At this point I am measuring and putting together a list of wood and other materials that I will need to complete the wings. More to follow..
Last edited by Dave Gardner; Dec 21, 2006 at 03:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2006, 05:38 PM
Where's my Coffee!
Thread OP

Build Log - TMRC Slingsby Tutor Build #2

May 19, 2006
After being side-tracked by a busy work/home schedule I was able to get quite a bit completed on the Tutor. The Stabilizer/Elevator and Rudder/Fin assemblies are completed and ready for final sanding and covering.

Stabilizer/Elevator Build - The stabilizer is built over the plans out of 1/4 x 3/8, 1/2 x 3/8 balsa, a 2 x 1 pice of 3/8 ply, and 1/8/ x 3/8 triangular balsa. The stabilizer is a straight foward build with no suprises. (Photos 1 & 2)

The elveator is also built over the plan. You could also build the elevator vertically, however, I chose to build it horizontally over the plan. The first step is to the ribs and braces from 1/8 x 3/8 stock and notch them to accept the trailing edge.

I cut the ribs to length and the used a glue stick to glue them together. I ran the ribs through the scroll saw to create the trailing edge notch. This sped the process up and resulted in a nice, straight trailing edge. Everything was dry fitted and trimmed, and finaly glued in place. ( Photos 3 - 5)

The final step is to shape the elevator airfoil using a sanding block. The finsihed piece is straight, lightweight and very sturdy. (Photo 6)
May 22, 2006, 09:05 PM
Where's my Coffee!
Thread OP

TMRC Slingsby Tutor Build #3

May 22, 2006
The next step in completing the stabilizer/elevator asembly is to install the elevator control forn assembly.

The supplied control horn assembly requires a groove to be cut into the leading edge of the elevator. I used the Dremel and cutting bit to make the groove, the an exacto knife to tweak the cut to ensure the assembly fit snugly. Photos 1 & 2.

The control horn assembly is the epoxied into place and wrapped in Carbon Fibert tow to ensure a strong rigid control area. Once the epoxy has set, I wrapped the area in the CF tow and wetted it with thin CA. The area was then lighlty sanded to remove and rough spots and to allow the covering materials to adhere better. Photo 3 & 4.

The final step is to cut the slots into the stabilizer and elevator. I use the Great Planes Slot Maching to complete this process. The kit comes with DuBro nylon hinges, however, I use CA hinges for simplicities sake. The entire assembly is ready for final sanding and covering. Photo 5.
May 23, 2006, 06:36 PM
Where's my Coffee!
Thread OP

TMRC Slingsby Tutor Build #3

May 23, 2006

The rudder assembly is completed next. Again, this assembly is built horizontally (my choice) over the plan for ease of construction. The rudder spar is made by photo copying the former and glue sticking it to 1/8 ply. The spar is cut and trimmed and then pinned to a 1" block of balsa wrapped in wax paper. Photo No. 1.

The ribs are cut and notched to accept the trailing edge. They will be sanded to shape later. Photos 2 and 3.

The cross-braces and ribs are glued and allowed to cure before the assembly is anded and the airfoil is shaped. Photo 4.

The rudder is sanded to shape and is ready for a final sanding and covering. Photo No. 5.

So far the build has been very staright foward and yielding very strong, light assemblies.
May 23, 2006, 06:37 PM
Nice work Dave. Looking very good!

Tom
May 24, 2006, 10:44 AM
ZOB
ZOB
ZOB
Hello Dave,Theres nothing i like better than watching some one else build a model, nice work. How big is it going to be Iwill watch with interest.

ZOB
Jun 16, 2006, 05:25 PM
Where's my Coffee!
Thread OP

Build Log - TMRC Slingsby Tutor Build

June 16, 2006

The fin assembly is constructed from 1/8" plywood and light balsa. The spar pattern was copied from the plan and glue-stcked to the plywood and cut. The balsa block was glued to the spar and shaped to match the plans. Photo No. 1.

Construction of the fuselage is vey easy, side rails of 1/8" x 3/8" balsa are constructed for the right and left sides directly over the plans. Photo No. 2 - 4.

After each side is constructed they were clamped together and sanded to shape. Photo No. 5.
Jun 20, 2006, 09:12 PM
Where's my Coffee!
Thread OP

June 20, 2006

The fusealage construction is pretty straight foward, balsa sheeting is added to the side rails, be sure to make a right hand side and left hand side, you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation (wish I had follwoed this advice earlier....). Also, the sheeting grain runs parallel along the length of the fuse, except between the 1st and 2nd formers. This sheeting should be perpendicular to allow for bending to theforward section of the fuse (again, a lesson learned...) Photo 1.

After constructing both fuse sides the formers are tacked into place on one side and then the other. Photos 2 & 3. The fuse is squared up and the the formers are permanently glued in place. Photo 4.

A wing attachment is built into the fuse (Photo No. 5). The kit comes with two 1/8" ply attachments that are to be glued together. I chose to make a 3/8" attachment using the supplied parts as a template. The attachment is built into place using balsa supports. Should be very strong. Sheeting the top of the fuse is next, along with completing the various sub-assemblies, i.e., wheel well, control (servo) trays, etc.......
Jun 20, 2006, 11:07 PM
Dave, you make it look easy!

Should I cut three of the wing mount blocks from 1/8 birch ply for lamination?

Tom
Jun 25, 2006, 08:48 PM
Great looking build! I can remember building a UT-1 Cadet by Airtronics back in the 80's that had many similarities. Looking forward to seeing it completed and hopefully a maiden FLIGHT VIDEO!

Keep up the great work,
M
Jun 27, 2006, 07:03 PM
Where's my Coffee!
Thread OP

June 27, 2006

Wing Anchor/Deck - The wing anchor/deck is completed by sanding to shape, and using 1/8" x 1/2" balsa sheet the upper fuse sheeting is started. Photos No. 1 & 2.

Photos No. 3 & 4 show the upper left and right hand sides of the fuse sheeted and preliminary sanding/shaping completed.

Photo No. 5 shows the Stabilizer deck assembly. The deck is made with 1/4" balsa cut and sanded to shape. The stabaliser is used as the jig to drill the holes for the screws that will be used to attach the stab to the fuse. 1/8" plywood squares are glued to the underside of the deck and drilled through. 1/8" blind nuts are anchored into the plywood so the screws can be threaded from the bottom up. Sounds screwy (no pun intended) but it will make sense later....

The stabalizer fairing is built using balsa block and balsa micro-fill. Once completed, everything is sanded to shape.

Photos No. 6 & 7 show the forn section of the fuse after being sheeted with 1/8" balsa. The nose block is sanded to rough final shape. This thing is really starting to look like a glider after all.......
Jun 27, 2006, 08:20 PM
Where's my Coffee!
Thread OP

June 27, 2006

Photos 1 & 2 - Show the tail assembly dry-fitted to fuse. Everything fits accroding to the plans, and looks cool too!!

Photos 3 & 4 - The servo tray is built into the ope bay directly behind the landing gear. A piece of 1/8" sheet is sued for the tray. The servos are Hitec HS-475HB with SUllivan rigid pushrods. The pushrod tubes are glued to cross braces and wrapped with carbon tow for added strength.

Photos 5 & 6 - The landing gear assembly is contructed with 1/8" plywood parts provided with the kit. I added some additional pieces for strength, and following the photos of the original Tutor built by Lee. The gear is strong and light. The kit also comes wth the 2.5 wheel and axle.

Next step is to add the bottom decking and sheeting and securing the landing gear assembly.
Jun 27, 2006, 10:20 PM
Dave,

You are doing an incredible job considering that Lee never finished the plans you are using and they completely lack stock size callouts or really pretty much text of any kind. That, and Lee did an incredible job of simplifying the design and build of what could have been a complicated scale glider. This one builds more like a complex Oly II than a scale ship doesn't it?

Tom
Jul 17, 2006, 08:00 PM
Where's my Coffee!
Thread OP

July 17, 2006

Photo 1 - 3 - Planking and sheeting of the fuselage bottom is moving along. 1/8" balsa sheet is used to fabricate flooring and outer shetting.

Photo 4 - Exterior of fuselage is complete. Time for filling and rough sanding. The project is really starting to take shape!!

Photo 5 - I fabricated a hatch for the rear servo bay.

Photo 6 - Filling and rough sanding is done. A little more interior work and some final sanding and the covering begins!!

Photo 7 - Fabrication of the cockpit interior is underway. I am not sure how "scale" it will be. I really want to get started on the wings and get this baby into the air...
Jul 23, 2006, 09:40 PM
Where's my Coffee!
Thread OP

July 23, 2006

I started building the left wing this weekend. The first step is to make 2 each of the Main and rear spars. The main spars are made of 1/8" x 3/8" spruce, the rear spar of 1/8" x 1/4" spruce. The spars are built directly over the plan. Unfortunately, I got building so fast I forgot to take pictures of the spars being built.

Bottom Sheeting - The bottom sheeting (Photo No. 1) is built using 1/8" balsa of varying width. The sheeting is cut to fit and pinned to the plan. The rear spar is built into the bottom sheeting. The bottom Main Spar is added later.

The next step is to draw each rib location onto the bottom sheet. The aileron layout and wingtip is also drawn onto the sheeting. Photo No. 2.

The Trailing Edge is added to the sheeting and glued into place. The original plans called for building up the trailing edge using 1/8" strips of balsa and sanding them to shape later. I used pre-shaped trailing edge stock (1/4" x 5/8') and added an extra 1/4" in width to the bottom sheeting. This speeds up the whole wing building process.

Adding Spars and Ribs - The bottom Main Spar is placed on the bottom sheeting and each ribs is added (dry fit only at this point) to help aligning the spar. The spar is pinned in place once all the ribs are added. After all the ribs are added and checked, the top Main Spar is added to ensure proper fit (again, dry fit only). Photos No. 3 - 5.

Once the dry fit has been completed and everything looks good, all the ribs are removed and gluing begins. Each rib is glued into place using a square to ensure everything lines up correctly. After all the ribs are glued into place, the brass wing rod tubes are test fitted and trimmed to size. Photos No. 6 -8.

At this point the wing is flat, strong and ready for more work....
Last edited by Dave Gardner; Jul 23, 2006 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply