Apr 20, 2006, 08:04 AM
Isaiah 40:31
Thread OP
Discussion

Indiana Jones German Flying Wing

Do you remember the German Flying Wing from the 1st Indiana Jones movie?

http://www.indygear.com/props/planes.shtml

Well of course you do.

I was speaking with a friend of mine, and were wondering if anyone has built a flying model of it.

I did a search and found way too much info to sift through...

So I thought I would ask a quick for a quick sho of hands...If you have built one or know the link I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

rc
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2006, 08:18 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
rc,

Oooooo! But I can just imagine the sweaty palms when it comes time for its maiden

Steve
Apr 20, 2006, 08:50 AM
RC, Keith "Sparky" Sparks built one a couple years ago, and if memory serves, he actually got it to fly reasonably well. You might look him up through Park Flyer Plastics and see if he has plans.

PAT
Apr 20, 2006, 04:26 PM
RC 4 Life

Rotla

Yep, been there done that.
Roughly a three foot span.
I sent the plans into Backyard Flyer a long time ago.
I think at one time the plans were lost in their office because they asked for a copy last fall.
I sent a copy and 4 plastic part sets because a staff member wanted to build it.
Take it easy. . . .they are just protecting you.
This model has CG problems, It's very touchy.
I built four models and they all flew, the problem I ran into was the wing sweep.
If you do enough sweep to make it stable it does not look like the model in the movie.
I found a working compromise and went with it.. . .Its no Zagi!
We did touch and goes and a loop or two but found if she gets in a spin it's all over.

More reasons they might not have published the article.
The construction photos were OK but the in-flight shots were a little on the fuzzy side.
And there is always the issue surrounding the emblem on the fin....Lets not go there.
and there is the question of what the Paramount studio would have to say..
Apr 20, 2006, 04:32 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Thread OP
WOW, very cool LOOKING, planes!

You've answered the $29 question that has been plaguing us for a better part of the day.

thanks

rc
Apr 20, 2006, 08:34 PM
Electric Coolhunter
sparky, I did not know you had done that model..pretty cool.

What kind of airfoil did you use? I bet one with a nice reflex would ahve tamed the lower sweep versions......

This aircraft pops up fairly often in the forums...here is a thread from 2004 that shows a drawing of the original 5 motored aircraft planned for the movie, plus some other interesting discussion:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=indiana+jones
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
Apr 21, 2006, 09:53 AM
RC 4 Life
Tom, remember the Popfly. . . . .same airfoil.
Apr 21, 2006, 01:00 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Well, the Pop fly flies great, so that airfoil shoulda worked as well as anything. I have found that as wing sweep on a flying wing goes down, the reflex in the airfoil needs to go up.
Apr 21, 2006, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Well, the Pop fly flies great, so that airfoil shoulda worked as well as anything. I have found that as wing sweep on a flying wing goes down, the reflex in the airfoil needs to go up.
And the CG needs to go way forward...I suspect that contraption could be made to fly adequately well with a really forward CG..a LOT of washout and a LOT of reflex..
Apr 21, 2006, 06:08 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Okay, I'll bite; what's reflex?

Steve
Apr 21, 2006, 09:18 PM
Senile Member
Steve, when an airfoil produces lift it wants to pitch the nose of the aircraft down. The function of the horizontal stabilizer on a normally configured aircraft counteracts this by holding the tail down. On a flying wing with no horiz stab this pitching action is countered by having the trailing edge of the airfoil curve up, commonly known as reflex.

It's also the reaction to the doctor hitting you on the knee with that hammer.

Larry
Apr 21, 2006, 11:19 PM
Sparks,

Did you ever sell plastic and plans for this design?

Bob Fox
Apr 22, 2006, 07:24 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel
Steve, when an airfoil produces lift it wants to pitch the nose of the aircraft down. The function of the horizontal stabilizer on a normally configured aircraft counteracts this by holding the tail down. On a flying wing with no horiz stab this pitching action is countered by having the trailing edge of the airfoil curve up, commonly known as reflex.

It's also the reaction to the doctor hitting you on the knee with that hammer.

Larry

Not all flying wings use airfoil reflex. Some swept flying wings use washout instead. Some swept wings have airfoil with a bit of reflex in them, some get it from deflecting the control surfaces to add some effective reflex.

But, a plank style unswept flying wing needs some, period, either in the airfoil or more crudely added by deflecting the control surfaces upward at the TE.
Apr 22, 2006, 10:47 PM
Senile Member
All of that sounds like the same concept to me. Just different ways of achieving it

Larry
Jul 13, 2006, 10:15 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Just came across this thread. Anyone seen it published yet?
I too would like to peruse the plans.
Accord into the research I have done, the initial design was based on northrop experimental aircraft.

Quick Reply