Apr 21, 2006, 03:44 PM
Sussex, UK
What about the CG?
Disk shaped planes need the CG really far forward - I think it might struggle with a pusher motor.

It looks fantastic though :-)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2006, 04:58 PM
ImNotAPilotIJustPlay1onTV
make sure you use a geared down large slow prop for lots of thrust. I think this thing will fly like a pig--but I still would LOVE to see it fly.

Are you going to make a quick and dirty version first to make sure it will fly ?
Apr 21, 2006, 05:49 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Thread OP
I have no interest in making it twice. I will fiddle with this one until i get it right or give up.

Then it will just be something to hang from my cieling.

I plan on spending a lot of time working out the CG I am probably going to hook up the radio and make controlled glides until i can make it fly right.

I have made plans to potentially move the motor to the tractor position but it would definitely not be as cool as the pusher configuration.

So i will fart around with it until i get it right.

It is coming together nicely though =)
Apr 21, 2006, 10:09 PM
Might have to hollow out the front of the saucer to slide the battery forward. (maybe right to the nose...)
Apr 22, 2006, 01:46 AM
Thread OP
Actually i was thinking that if i need to put the battery forward i would cut a pocket in the bottom of the saucer where it needs to go and put an access door on it.
Apr 22, 2006, 08:31 AM

C of G

My tests with gliding pizza bases (well, over here the biy (build it yourself) store-pizzas come on depron discs ) put the c of g about half way between the disc centre and the front edge/rim (at least the part of the only edge on a circle that you want to be in the front!!! )
Hope this helps.....

(Robin, get building!!!)
Apr 22, 2006, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
Ok it is all together now.

everything but the controls that is. I took it out to the nice tall soft hay field to toss it a bit see what i can do about CG.....

Bad.

It flopped all over no matter where i put the weight.

I am thinking that a pusher is not going to work at all. The only way i think this thing will work is as a hovering type contraption. Which means it needs to be a tractor.

I am going to put the motor in the back still i went with a small enough prop that it can clear the ground. Scoot it around and see what happens.

Anyways it went together pretty well. Here are the pics. I will update again when i get the radio and motor in.
Apr 22, 2006, 07:23 PM
Thread OP
Final assembly pics
Apr 22, 2006, 07:42 PM
Gotta be a way to make that fly...

Maybe 3 small motors: 1 on the front of each warp nacelle and one on the front of the weapons pod? The little GWS IPS motors with 3020 props. or Feigao motors with rotors from EDF 40's or 50's but no "shroud".....
Apr 22, 2006, 07:44 PM
Krued Up
looks awsome so far keep it up.

Angel
Apr 23, 2006, 02:30 AM
Sussex, UK
I'd suggest making a quick profile model (possibly of just the disk) with some elevons and nose weight, and seeing what it takes to make it fly. If you experiment with the current model you'll have to cut big chunks out every time you change anything.

It looks great, there's got to be a way to make it fly!
Apr 23, 2006, 03:14 AM
Robots... robots everywhere
If you make it fly backwards you won't have any CG problems...
Apr 23, 2006, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
I have been thinking about making a profile version. The problem with that is that it would have to be pretty big to fly with my current equipment (GWS 350) And that would take up a significant amount of my foam stock. I was hoping to be able to build a bunch more planes before i have to restock. I know it is quite selfish of me hehehe.

The more i think about my design the more i am convinced that a pusher just won't work. It loos frickin sweet! but i don't think i will have any control effectiveness. I am going to switch to a tractor format and try it out.

It is the best i can think of for now and i think it will work ok.

It does look cool though.
Apr 23, 2006, 08:54 AM
Not sure if changing from a pusher to a tractor design will give you any more effectiveness of the controls. If it is for the c of g issue, you could mount the motor at the front and run a carbon drive shaft to the prop at the rear??
I am surprised that you couldn't get it to glide, I would have thought that the extra tail area would help it glide better than my plain discs!
Apr 23, 2006, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
Here is the problem... THe Prop is 7" or so diameter. the Back of the ship is about 8" and that is where the control surfaces are. So i have the control surfaces right before the prop any control inputs just gets negated by the prop wash. At least that is my theory.

If i put the prop at the other end of the machine i have maximum effectiveness of the control surfaces. And i as i mentioned before i can propably at least hover it. May not be stable in forward flight though

Quick Reply