Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 19, 2006, 09:17 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Build Log

USS Reliant Foamy - PLEASE MOVE TO SCRATCHBUILT!!

Ok Guys here it is... My latest project.

This is only my second Foamie ever but i was inspired by the Millenium Falcon Foamie that i saw at Parkjets.

I am building it from 1" Blue foam and 6mm Depron. GWS350 motor and a 7" Prop (all that will fit)

Wingspan (Saucerspan) is about 16"

The pictures are from my 3D design program - Autodesk Inventor - that i use for my Engineering Business.

I have the majority of it designed and will have to play around with it a bit to figure out the correct CG and where to put all the controls but i am planning on hollowing out a spot below the bridge for that stuff.

Controls will be dual Elevons on the back surface that are linked similar to a 3D biplane. I am guessing that it will be a bit unstable but not too bad.

I will start posting regularly while i build it. When it is done and flies i will post the plans for anyone else that wants to try it out.

Hope you like it.
Last edited by SGTalon; Apr 25, 2008 at 07:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2006, 09:31 AM
Krued Up
Awsome,one of my fav. ST ships.I will be watching.
Apr 19, 2006, 11:39 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
have to agree Sno .. subscribing
Apr 19, 2006, 08:18 PM
How do i change this thread into a build log????

Got started on the build tonight and i will post pictures when i am done for the night.

Going well so far should only take another night or so to finish.
Apr 19, 2006, 09:49 PM
Subscribed.Cant wait to see it fly!
Apr 19, 2006, 10:40 PM

Progress So Far

Ok so about 2 hours of work and i appear to be about halfway done already.

Cut out the main Saucer Section. Hollowed out the bottom for a duct to control surfaces. Not too hard but my knife was not exactly sharp so some of it is a little mangled. nothing that a little more sanding can't fix.

I decided to make my bridge area the cover for the guts. I hollowed it out with my Dremel with the barrel sander did a decent job and was WAY faster than trying it with a knife.

The Nacelle Pylons were actually easier than i thought. I doubled up Depron for it and put a Carbon Tube in the middle to help keep everything together.

All that is left to cut out is the Nacelles, Weapons pod on the top wing and the Connecting barreld for the top wing to the Pylons.

Here's some pictures. I ran out of CA so i couldn't do much more tonight anyways. I should be able to finish this up by tomorrow if i get some.

Pretty frickin cool though =)

My battery on my camera was getting low so i turned off the flash on the last few pics. Hope you guys can still see everything ok. I will get it charged up for tomorrow night.
Apr 19, 2006, 10:42 PM
A few more pics.

Fly??? That may be too much to ask Nstaller... but who knows i could be an aeronautical genius and don't even know it. We shall see
Apr 20, 2006, 12:07 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
Talon .. i have a paper model of the reliant .. could be done in depron or bluecor .. send me a private message on RCgroups with your email if your interested in a copy of the plans ..
Apr 20, 2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the offer Vyce i am pretty much done now but you could post them for anyone else looking to try it.

Update for tonight-

Spent about 2 hours working on the rest of the parts. The Upper Saucer was a bit tricky I was going to use a single piece of 1" Foam but then changed my mind and went with 6mm Depron. It made the contour a lot easier to get to with some sanding. I have a picture before sanding and after.

All the parts are cut and sanded now. I glued the upper saucer to the main body and now all that is left is final assembly. Pretty fun build. This weekend i will probably finish it off and do some test glides / crashes to see what i can do about making this thing fly.

Already thinking of my next one.... Klingon Bird of Prey? Or the Defiant?

Maybe i should just go for a regular 3D plane.... Bah that sounds boring hehehe.
Apr 21, 2006, 10:30 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
Looking Awesome Talon.
Apr 21, 2006, 11:03 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
What i have here is a Miranda Class . Almost the exact same ship ..
Anyone interested send a message through RCGroups with your email ..
Apr 21, 2006, 11:22 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Bird of Prey next of course.. then have a Federation Vs Klingon dogfight.
Apr 21, 2006, 12:21 PM
Hahahah that would be frickin awesome! a Federation - Klingon Combat!

Dude that is a great idea.
Apr 21, 2006, 12:21 PM
Wing & A Prayer
The geek in me can't wait to see if that bad boy actually flys!! My hat's off to you dude!
Apr 21, 2006, 12:29 PM
I am pretty sure it will fly. It has a flat bottom and psuedo-airfoil shaped top. Large control surfaces plenty to keep it flying straight and not tumble.

I think it is just a matter of will it fly effectively or will it mush around the air.

If it is successful i will post my plans here so you guys can try it. It was really simple to build.

It will fly this weekend so we will find out.