RippinFoamies.com Perfexion "Outdoor" Build - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 16, 2006, 09:35 AM
Foam Flyer
Build Log

RippinFoamies.com Perfexion "Outdoor" Build

Hello fellow foam flyers!

Due to popular pressure, I have finished the design and started construction on an outdoor version of my popular Perfexion 3D foamie bipe. I call it the Perfexion OD (out-door).

Plans are now available on www.RippinFoamies.com.
Specs: Wings 33", Fuse 35", weight 14 ounces (est.)
Motor: Himax 2812
Battery: TP 1320 3-cell Pro-Lite

Enjoy!

John Cramer
www.RippinFoamies.com
Last edited by rc4metoo; Apr 28, 2006 at 11:57 AM. Reason: plans are now available
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2006, 05:30 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Yes, that thing is huge. Looks very good though.

Hawk
Apr 20, 2006, 09:33 AM
Foam Flyer

Full fuse makes it look bigger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4932
Yes, that thing is huge. Looks very good though.

Hawk
Yeah, she looks big. Here are the specs:

Wings: 33"
Length: 35.5"
RTF weight: 15 ounces (est.)

I just purchased a couple of new 3-cell 1320s lipos that will do 17 amps continuous so I should have plenty of power available.

JC
www.rippinfoamies.com
Apr 21, 2006, 06:11 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Looking forward to your maiden to see how she performs. Will you be able to get any video of it??? Thanks, Hawk
Apr 21, 2006, 11:42 AM
Foam Flyer
Quote:
Looking forward to your maiden to see how she performs. Will you be able to get any video of it??? Thanks, Hawk
Hopefully flying tonight. Weather is great outside now. Did weight and balance and she looks fine. AUW RTF is 16 ounces. Short video possible tonight if all goes well.

JC
www.rippinfoamies.com
Apr 22, 2006, 12:48 PM
Foam Flyer

She flies!!! See Video!

Got rained out last night, but managed one flight this morning before the winds blew up. Flight testing cut short by motor vibration. I think it is just a combination of shimming the stick-mount to reduce play, and balancing the prop. Vibration precluded much WOT testing.

CG is about "on" for beginner/intermediate 3D, but I'll move it a little forward for my personal "advanced" preference (if I say so myself ).

How does she fly? Great! This thing flies like a glow ship. It tracks very straight, rolls very fast and crisp, and has virtually no roll coupling. Very similar to the indoor model in this respect. The winds started blowing when we shot some video and it penetrated quite well - better than my numerous other foamies.

I'm looking forward to more testing before I clean-up the plans and release.

Video: http://www.RippinFoamies.com/Public/...rfexion_OD.mov

Best regards,

JC
www.RippinFoamies.com
Apr 24, 2006, 09:32 PM
Foam Flyer

Five more flights and wow! what a foamie!

Just a quick update for those interested. She is flying great. Flies very precise, will take some wind, rolls great, ....flies a like a much bigger 3D glow ship. She will do a knife-edge wall, and no problem with large knife-edge loops on knife-edge loops.

Stick motor mount broke (on the motor). I converted Himax to back bulkhead mount. This is actually simpler method and probably for the best as most motor are not stick mount.

Got CG correct with new motor mount. No changes to fuse needed. I'll be cleaning up plans for release soon.

I'm lovin' it!

JC
www.rippinfoamies.com
Apr 25, 2006, 03:21 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Unfortunatly I have not been able to view the video. It maybe my crappy dialup connection.
Could the fuse be built using 3mm depron to cut down on the weight and how much would you think that this would save? I have an extra ESSKAY 400XT which will fly models up to 18 ozs but I need to get the weight down to around 10-11 ozs for 3D type flight with this motor.Thanks

Hawk
Apr 25, 2006, 09:18 AM
Foam Flyer

Motors...

Quote:
Unfortunatly I have not been able to view the video. It maybe my crappy dialup connection.
Could the fuse be built using 3mm depron to cut down on the weight and how much would you think that this would save? I have an extra ESSKAY 400XT which will fly models up to 18 ozs but I need to get the weight down to around 10-11 ozs for 3D type flight with this motor.Thanks

Hawk
Hello Hawk,

I just downloaded the move and it played OK, but I have DSL. The movie is about 4 meg.

I looked up the specs of the Esskay 400XT and it is too small for the Perfexion Outdoor model. I am recommending 150-200 watt motors for the Perfexion Outdoor. The Himax HC2812-850 that I am currently using is a 150 watt motor.

I would not recommend building the Perfexion Outdoor out of 3mm depron. It could be done but a model of this size at 10-11 ounces would not be suitable for outdoor flying - it would simply be blown away in the wind.

I sometimes find myself trying to find airframe designs that fit the motors that I have on hand. It is better to find a design that you like and then acquire the correct components.

Best regards,

JC
www.rippinfoamies.com