Apr 15, 2006, 11:15 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Build Log

MY Gripen

First time building a Foamie. I just happened across the foamie section about a week ago. Also my first Jet.

Built direct to the Parkjet Free Plans. All finished except for the battery (short on cash and 3s Li-Po's are expensive)

I don't have a computer radio so i did a creative mixing setup. I had a small aftermarker servo mixer unit. I put a splitter before it to control the canard and the elevator part of the elevons and the mixer does the rest. It works great!! So you don't have to have a computer radio for canard mixing.

I did test fly it with no motor or battery. Put in a small reciever battery and tossed it. Flies GREAT! Holy crap that thing is a nice slow flier!

Bet it would rock as a slope soarer with a decent updraft.

I had great idea for my next project. Wait till you see it! Guaranteed no one on these boards has built one yet and it is one of the mose famous vehicles ever.
Last edited by SGTalon; Apr 28, 2006 at 07:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2006, 01:03 PM
Crash Master
Looks great!

Check out www.commonsenserc.com for decent LiPo deals. I can't say they are the best, but first impressions semm favorable!
Apr 17, 2006, 08:34 AM
I checked out that site. Those LI-Po's are rated for only 8 amps of discharge max. I found some on Ebay for around $16 that are higher... but not much. I think i am going to keep looking. It appears that the big price issue will be the charger! Looks like $80!! dang!
Apr 17, 2006, 11:08 AM
Go Navy!
http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=V869660&pid=U867328

$30 cheapest decent one I know of. But watch out. I left my battery plugged into it when the charger was not plugged in (figured it wasnt a problem) wrong... drained the battery and killed it... I am very unhappy with that, but the economy of it makes it something that you can deal with.
Apr 28, 2006, 07:40 AM
SO i Maidened my Parkjet Gripen. It has a GWS 350C with 5.5:1 gear and a 9x7 park flyer prop. I have not invested in Li-Po yet so i am using my small ni-cad 9.6v pack.

It would not get enough power/speed to climb. I could fly around at about 4 to 6 feet off the ground but it would not go higher.

What can i do? It seems to be developing good thrust. Should i go to a higher pitch prop? Smaller diameter?

I plan on getting an 11.1v li-po from Common Sense RC soon but my funds are fairly limited when it comes to getting a charger and all that too.

Please help!
Apr 28, 2006, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
I checked out that site. Those LI-Po's are rated for only 8 amps of discharge max. I found some on Ebay for around $16 that are higher... but not much. I think i am going to keep looking. It appears that the big price issue will be the charger! Looks like $80!! dang!
Hey SGTalon,
Im not sure if you allready figured it out, but Common sense RC sells lipos with waay higher discharge ratings than 8 amps:
http://www.commonsenserc.com/index.p...800fc4812e3002
That page shows all their categories, 8C, 10C, 15C, and 20C discharge ratings.

How much does your Gripen weigh?

Sam
Apr 28, 2006, 11:04 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
Also,
Make sure your prop is facing the right direction. If you flying a pusher, the writing on the prop faces forward towards the nose.
Learned that one from experience...LOL