View Poll Results: What do think of my new design?
It sucks 3 3.95%
It's okay 4 5.26%
It's pretty cool 62 81.58%
It's the best aerial photography plane I have EVER seen 7 9.21%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Apr 14, 2006, 08:39 PM
Planes from 1oz to 55lb's
Poll

Check out my new AP plane -scratch built. Let me know what you think.

I have been working on this project all spring break.

Tha camera is mounted in the middle of the plane and can be tilted remotely. I will mount a video downlink like on my older plane, cannot live without it.

Specs
52 in span
shooting for AUW under 2.8 pounds
Hacker a30 28s- I hope it will be enough, If not I have a axi 2820-10 that will take care of that.
3 cell 2100 prolite
3 cell 730 prolite (for video tx)
900 mhz Black Widow video tx
Will probably mount a Co-Pilot
3 hs 85's, 2 s-75's, 1 HS-55
8 ch pcm reciever.

I might maiden it on sunday. The whole thing took me about 8 days get this far, designing it and everything. I have been working like a madman.

I hope you guys like it any comments appriciated!!

I am adding a poll as well, please be honest!
Last edited by simo10; Apr 20, 2006 at 06:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2006, 09:14 PM
I really like the looks of it! Keepin it simple, I like. The tilting camera mount is really neat, especially how you incorperated it into the fuse design. Is the fuse also all balsa? Looks extremely well built. Good Job, and good luck on the maiden! Although, you might want to add some streamers along the wing, might make covering a little easier and give the covering more places to stick to.
Apr 14, 2006, 09:23 PM
Professor of Wood
Not bad for a young sprout. I assume that's you in the picture? Building gets cleaner and neater the more you do but you did good in a short time. I've seen planes from older guys that you just out did. I'm not going to post in the poll. I'll tell you what I think though because you asked and I would rather help your future than BS you.

What does that servo in the last picture go to? The bracket doesn't look very strong.

Listen, good job though. Let us know how the maiden flight goes. Keep at it. You're doing quite fair young man.

Dan
Apr 14, 2006, 09:44 PM
Very cool...I like it. Might have to borrow some of your ideas .

Ex.
Apr 14, 2006, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7ost
Not bad for a young sprout. I assume that's you in the picture? Building gets cleaner and neater the more you do but you did good in a short time. I've seen planes from older guys that you just out did. I'm not going to post in the poll. I'll tell you what I think though because you asked and I would rather help your future than BS you.

What does that servo in the last picture go to? The bracket doesn't look very strong.

Listen, good job though. Let us know how the maiden flight goes. Keep at it. You're doing quite fair young man.

Dan
Thank you.

The servo is one of the aileron servos. It's plenty strong. I used the same system on our (my dad and I) long distance plane. It has has broken 3 world records so far...

I have cleaned the covering up a little and now it looks great!
Apr 14, 2006, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle G.
I really like the looks of it! Keepin it simple, I like. The tilting camera mount is really neat, especially how you incorperated it into the fuse design. Is the fuse also all balsa? Looks extremely well built. Good Job, and good luck on the maiden! Although, you might want to add some streamers along the wing, might make covering a little easier and give the covering more places to stick to.
Yes the whole plane is traditional balsa/ply. The only composites are the carbon wing spars.

The center of the fuse is balsa laminated with thin ply. You don't want that fuse to snap in half!

Anyway I am extremely happy with this new design. I just hope it flys well.
Apr 14, 2006, 10:24 PM
You shoulda laminated the fuse with 1/32 balsa, woulda been plenty strong probably, and saved some weight.
Apr 14, 2006, 10:26 PM
The 1/16 pywood has holes in it.
Apr 14, 2006, 10:39 PM
Here is a pic of the inside.
Only the bottom center section is laminated.
Apr 14, 2006, 10:44 PM
simo10
Needs a spar under the leading edge sheeting and the landing gear looks a bit light . The plane looks very good , I like !! It kind of reminds me of a "Miss Martha" sport plane from the 80's .

Mike1484
Apr 14, 2006, 10:48 PM
Professor of Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo10
It has has broken 3 world records so far...
Do we know your Dad?

Dan
Apr 14, 2006, 11:42 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Nice plane !

Good job on the build ,especially the camera mount and wing.

The paint cans may effect your AUW

Is Giorgio AZZALIN your father? If so...you guys rock !!!

Spar~
Last edited by sparrow1717; Apr 14, 2006 at 11:52 PM.
Apr 14, 2006, 11:51 PM
Pull out early!
Seems like BWAV used to have a link to a father-son pair named George and Simone (or close to that?).... I remember video from 4.2miles up, and a new one-way endurance record of 80km. Or maybe 120km? Down I-95 in Florida, sitting in a convertible.

I can't find that page for the life of me, but if I had to guess I'd say his dad's name is George. And if so, that's some really cool stuff you guys get to do.

And if not, you still have a great looking scratch built. I'm one of the 'older guys' that Dan mentioned that you blow away.

Dave

edit - Sparrow slipped it in on me... Giorgio. Thx sparrow.
Apr 15, 2006, 12:28 AM
Professor of Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBombDave
I'm one of the 'older guys' that Dan mentioned that you blow away.
No you're not Dave.

I wasn't going to ask if his Dad was Giorgio, the dots just connected. Fla, records, young son, wall full of cool model stuff etc. I guess if three of us hit on that........ ? hmmmm, maybe so. Simone was another modeler. http://www.noskylimit.50megs.com/

Dan
Apr 15, 2006, 04:33 AM
Pull out early!
Their website video is what got me turned onto the whole downlink idea and caused me to get into this blasted hobby!

And come on, Dan.... when you pull your plane out, people don't ask you, "Does it fly?"

Makes me want to answer, "Nah.... I just pretend."

Your plane looks like it was born to fly. Mine looks like it was built from things you'd find in a burned-out shell of a building. And the garbage cans behind it. I think I'll start calling my AP3 "Apocolypse Plane 3," after the Apocolypse Biker in Raising Arizona. But I love her - she makes the pain go away (you know, old reliable).

I've been on a self-loathing kick lately because I don't know the finer balsa/rib/shear web/other thingys construction techniques. Been reading up, want to start a Big Brother pusher sailplane from scratch..... but I need what the kids today call "Da Mad Skillz."

Dave

edit - I gotta add that those "does it fly" people are always awestruck when I just barely throw it like a dart, and she rotates to 45deg and gets the heck outta town. Makes me feel good to explain later, "No, the motor's not running now.. It's been gliding for 10 minutes." Some people refuse to believe that a plane doesn't fall like a rock without power (thanks to the movies, maybe?)
Last edited by DiveBombDave; Apr 15, 2006 at 04:57 AM.