Jul 20, 2001, 12:54 AM
Blew out my flip flop
Thread OP

Dare A-10 and a different motor option...

Hi all,

I'm working on my A-10 again...it got shelved for a while due to other projects...but things are progressing now. I have the Cox fans for it, and am replacing the stock 130 motors with tamiya mini black motors, which is a mabuchi FK-180SH, 7.2V, 19,400rpm. Specs also indicate max effiency is 1.8A. Now, I plan to run these parallel, but 8 cells or 10? I know folks are running the johnson 180 on ten..can ya'll determine be the specs if these will be comperable?

Thanks,
David
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2001, 01:13 AM
David, check out the new Turbo EDF 200's. These are MUCH improved over both the orignal and johnson version fans. Let us know if you get those Cox fans screamin though
Jul 20, 2001, 01:52 AM
Blew out my flip flop
Thread OP
Another question, these motors have what looks to me like a resistor across the terminals. Maybe it's a diode, I havent cut one off so I can test it yet, but it has color bands like a resistor. Sorry for the blurry pic, this was the best I could get this close up:

<A href=http://www.freehomepages.com/gofli/darea10.html>Looky</a>

Thanks,
David
Jul 20, 2001, 03:37 AM
probably a diode, I'd leave it on unless you suspected it was causing problems.
Jul 20, 2001, 06:56 PM
Funny, I posted my message just a few days before you posted yours. When no one responded to my message, I figured it was a dead issue. Now I see that you are trying a similar motor to the one that I was asking about.

http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum6/HTML/001929.html
Jul 20, 2001, 07:42 PM
Blew out my flip flop
Thread OP
Dave,

The motor I'm using is designed for 6cell use in a 1/24 scale r/c car, and is probably very similar in spec to the Kyosho DM-20, which is the non-bb version of the one everybody seems to be going to in the Kp-44, but much lighter, I think, as it has the flat spots like the stock 130. I also won't have to modify the fan unit to get it in there. I have one already, and another I just got off ebay...hopefully by the time it is here I'll have the plane ready for it. I dont think the one you're refering to would handle the cell count, but give it a shot!!

Later,
David

[This message has been edited by Gofli (edited 07-21-2001).]
Jul 20, 2001, 09:05 PM
David, I understand now that the motor you are using is a little larger than the one I was referring to. But if you'll check the thread below, you'll see that DNA has had some pretty successful preliminary tests with the Tamiya Plasma Dash motor in a prop application. This has to be the most sophisticated 130 series motor available with external brushes, etc. There have been comments that this might make an even better EDF motor.

I'm still working my way up the prop chain to EDF, and don't know enough about EDF motors to say if this is a suitable motor for small EDF use. For all I know it has already been tried and rejected. But it sounded promising, and I was hoping that someone who understood EDF motors would take a look at the thread below and see if it made any sense for someone who likes to experiment with untried small EDF motors.

http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum5/HTML/002811.html
Jul 21, 2001, 12:21 AM
Probably a diode to prevent induced high-voltages.
Jul 22, 2001, 11:37 PM
What is the shaft diameter on this little tamiyas? The cost?
Jul 23, 2001, 12:37 AM
Blew out my flip flop
Thread OP
Sand,

If you are refering to the ones I'm trying,
the shaft is the same as the stock 130, but shorter. Hopefully I wont have any problems with retaining the fans...havent got that far yet. I had the one motor, and ran across the second on ebay.

Later,
David
Jul 23, 2001, 10:14 AM
David...or anyone,
I'm building a K&A A-10 and like to try the mabuchi FK-180SH also(maybe alittle weight savings over the Kyosho motors). Do you know a good source for getting them? Price?

Mike
Jul 24, 2001, 12:03 AM
Someone has posted some graphs at http://hometown.aol.com/swinans/coxEDF.html detailing the mabuchi SH motors in the cox fans. They also compare the johnson 180 and the sz motors. Take a look.

Quick Reply