Wowings! Duck - RC Groups
Apr 13, 2006, 06:40 PM
Suspended Account
Build Log

Wowings! Duck

I bought one of these for the upcomming WCSC, as it looked promising, and like it might possibly outdo the swarm of Bee's that will be there. After flying my S-15 a lot, I have loads of confidence in Kye's design's.

I won't go step by step, as you can download the manual and read it yourself. Just things of note that make it different or are interesting.

Of note is the trailing edge. The center section of the trailing edge is wood, unlike every combat wing I've seen. And there are wood trailing edges out at the tips where are used to help secure the fins. I have the trailing edge pieces on, and installed the bottom spar. The bottom spar being a carbon flat piece like is being used more and more in EPP slopers. It's 24" long. Here's a pic of the bottom showing the TE's and spar...

Paul
Last edited by Arbo; Apr 11, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2006, 09:16 PM
I hope its got some full length spars in there.
Apr 13, 2006, 10:10 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Innocent
I hope its got some full length spars in there.
Yes, on top. You'll see when I get to that part.
Apr 14, 2006, 10:03 AM
Suspended Account
When I first saw this plane, I thought it looked good. One of the things that concerned me about having one for combat, was the wood out at the tips. I thought in violent cartwheels it was just asking to be broke. I spoke with Kye a bit about it, and that fear dropped. Of course it will be taped and covered, but I think they will work out fine. I've attached with 77, and they won't pull off without ripping the foam, and have plenty of flex (see pic).

I outlined the gear for the plane, and put in the top ribbon spar. Now it sits waiting for it to dry so I can cut out the equipment bays.
Apr 14, 2006, 11:14 AM
Piscine Promulgator
This is slightly OT, but the way Kye flys this thing, I think he should call it the "Jump!" instead of the "Duck"

Steve
Apr 15, 2006, 10:45 PM
Suspended Account
But then all his planes would have be called the 'Jump!'.

Equipment installed today. Taping done. Tomorrow more to follow. When I put the ailerons on (next step) I'll post a picture.

With the ailerons and fins taped on just to check ballance, it is spot on the recommended CG. Which I imagine means when I cover it it will need a little lead in the nose.

Paul
Apr 15, 2006, 11:21 PM
Cool, a crunchie to aim for.

ian
Apr 15, 2006, 11:31 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Cool, a crunchie to aim for.

ian
Crunchie?? Ian, lay off the fat tire....

Apr 16, 2006, 12:37 AM
You'll see.

ian
Apr 16, 2006, 10:51 AM
Suspended Account
All the tape on. Ready for covering.

For those who may wonder, it's slighly less sweep than the bee on the LE. The TE has more sweep, as the root cord is about the same, but tip cord is wider.
Apr 16, 2006, 04:49 PM
Suspended Account
Done. Yellow top, red bottom. Needs some accents, will do that later. Actually, the picture is post 1 1/2 hours of maiden airtime. For now I'll say WOW. Will be back with more details when time permits.
Apr 16, 2006, 07:14 PM
Suspended Account
Well I spent about 50 minutes with the Duck in the air, getting the ballance, throws and trim all to my liking. Was ready to go home happy, when on the way down the hill, Artmonster was on his way up. So I turned around and did another 40 minutes in the air. The lift had kicked up and there were some BOOMING thermals comming through. The Duck rocks. It's been a long while since my Bee was in good shape, so it's hard to make a comparison, but this this thing absolutely grooves. Don't know the AUW yet, but it feels light.

It seems a lot faster than my Bee ever was. All in all, it is awesome, glad I got it. Will see how it does with combat when the time comes.

Paul
Apr 19, 2006, 03:39 AM
EPP Rules!
Awesome! I'm really glad you like it Paul. Yours is the first Duck to migrate to the USA so it had a lot riding on its shoulders (do ducks have shoulders?) and it sounds like it has done the flock proud... I look forward to hearing how it holds up at the WCSC in a couple of weeks.

Quack quack,

Kye.
Apr 19, 2006, 03:59 AM
OGT back from '92
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie
Awesome! I'm really glad you like it Paul. Yours is the first Duck to migrate to the USA so it had a lot riding on its shoulders (do ducks have shoulders?) and it sounds like it has done the flock proud... I look forward to hearing how it holds up at the WCSC in a couple of weeks.

Quack quack,

Kye.
Kye, I don't care what other people say about you! I LIKE YOU! You've got some great planes and an attitude of equal caliber. Now that's two reasons to buy one (or more) of your planes. What more does a guy need?

Matt
Too early in the morning and still feeling good!

ARBO- Congrats!
Apr 19, 2006, 04:31 AM
EPP Rules!
Awww geee, I LIKE YOU too Matt! Lets get together for a good ol' fashioned wrestle some time, hey?

Kye