Apr 13, 2006, 11:17 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

My Superfly R/C

I ordered a superfly this past weekend after watching my friend fly his while I flew my unicorn. After seeing chuckd2's build thread, I knew it was time for me to go for it. I received the fly yesterday and it is built and ready for electronics. I will paint it tonight.

DrDHalko - Great job on a superior product. I can not believe how easy this was to put together. Seeing how much fun my friend has with his, I can not wait to get mine up in the air.

Chuckd2 - Awesome build thread, I learned many things from that, as I did on your other reviews. You the man!

i will post some pics when it is all complete.
Last edited by pritchard; Apr 22, 2006 at 07:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2006, 10:20 PM
Pritchard,

Build time is practically nothing on these guys. Less time building and more time flying!! Let me know if you need any help...you will be doing inverted high alpha in no time flat.

ChuckD2- I concur....great thread, I learned stuff too!

David
www.SuperFlyRC.com
Apr 13, 2006, 11:12 PM
I want one, too, guys! After watching Chuck's videos!

Dave, I'm still flying my original mid-ship mounted Superfly every chance I get, especially when it is windy. I have flown it for over a year with the Red Outrunner from MPJet and 1500 Kokams. While doing some motor testing this past weekend I found my Kokams are NOT providing the juice that they used to. I've got a "20C" Polyquest 3S to try this weekend to breath new life into the old beast.

The only thing keeping me from placing my order, Dave, is the VERRRRY long list of planes that I already have to complete. But down the road I want another to build much lighter than this one.

People will never believe how very tough this airframe is until they experience it firsthand. Mine has hit the ground so hard (through no fault of mine, of course) that the case on a servo was broken! In the air the following weekend! Unbelievable!

Regards,

Dale Case
Apr 14, 2006, 03:29 AM
Pritchard, Dr. D, and Dale,

Thanks! Ya know, it's funny...when I did that review and thread I was set to be pointing out all of the the things about the Superfly that 'could be better'. I remember warning you about that before doing the thread, Dr. D...."Sure, I would love to do it...but I am going to have to be honest...I am tired of reading reviews that make planes look like the second coming and then buying them only to be let down.", I said

"Please, let me know if you do find anything that could be better...I want people to be 100 percent happy", Responded Dr. D

I fly mine every day...I mean EVERY DAY at the Schoolyard just down the block from the house. I have gotten in more flying in the past three weeks than I have in the past 6 months.

I have two planes in the box in my garage capable of insane speed, which, require at least a 20 minute drive to the oceanfront or a 1 hour drive to the club...but this thing will literally wet the appetitie any time you need to fly.

2s for 3D type stuff...3s for cranking around the field with speed and agility; and that sweet, sweet, unlimited....YES, UNLIMITED VERT...no falling off...just keeps going straight up to a spec.

Pritchard, you must let us know how it's going...I am excited all over again!

--C
Apr 14, 2006, 12:33 PM

O.K Please be honest...........

I've been in this hobby for about 8-9 months and fly a SS (outrunner, 3-cell) a PT-17 Stearman (3-cell, outrunner) and the Ultrafly Cessna which also is brushless and a 2100 T.P. I'm not crashing anymore and am working on basic moves like low passes, T&G's, loops and such. I love the look of the Superfly but worry that my skill level is not good enough for this plane.......Anyone want to try to convince me I can fly this thing?
Apr 14, 2006, 12:44 PM
2MuchAir, I don't think I'm the one to try and convince you. I just ordered one yesterday and have very little flying time. I just watched the videos and figured it(the Superfly) has a wide speed envelope and since it's made of EPP and guys over on the flying wings forum seem to think EPP wings make pretty good trainers....give it a shot, so I am.

My experience...I've flown the Firebird II...junk! I now have a T Hawk, stock motors with maybe 1 hour tops, tried to fly a SS...got frustrated with the breakage and fly my Aero Ace almost every day. Plus I spend alot of time on the computer with FMS.
Apr 14, 2006, 02:33 PM
Thread OP
2MuchAir, if you are already flying those planes and not crashing anymore, I would say go for it. Try a 2 cell first two get the fell of it for a while and then move up to the three cell when you are ready for a completely new adventure. Crashe really are not a problem with this wing though. Me and my buddy have flown and crashed his many times with little damage and if there was damage t was easy to fix with glue.
Apr 14, 2006, 03:08 PM
Which way is up?
I've recently taken notice of the wing end of model plane flying. My son is suggesting I need a wing in the squadron. He flys a fixx which is neat looking but......something missing. I see some of the wings have the prop in the nose which looks good for 3d action but less fun when it hits the ground.

I came upon this thread and wondered what a superfly was. Went to the website and watched the videos. This looks like a good compromise for motor/prop placement. It has good protection but is ahead of the control surfaces for better 3d flying (vs placed at the trailing edge). I'm an intermediate flier (eflight ministick, hell raiser, formosa). If this wing can do ok in 10-12mph winds, I'm in.

What do you superfly flyers think?

Thanks,

Jim

PS better looking wing than many I've seen. Like the inboard vertical stabilizers better than wingtip also.
Apr 14, 2006, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchard
2MuchAir, if you are already flying those planes and not crashing anymore, I would say go for it. Try a 2 cell first two get the fell of it for a while and then move up to the three cell when you are ready for a completely new adventure. Crashe really are not a problem with this wing though. Me and my buddy have flown and crashed his many times with little damage and if there was damage t was easy to fix with glue.
O.K Almost convinced here. I picked up a "Spectrum DX6" about a month ago and hve an extra RX for it and an extra C.C Thunderbird 18 ESC and a few GWS naro std servos laying around and a Thunderpower 2-cell 1320 mah......Hmmmm, guess that would work?.............Gettn ready to click the "Buy Now" button?
Apr 14, 2006, 03:34 PM
Jim...

The videos on the review thread I did had me flying in a variety of winds from none to 18mph. I have flowin it in as high as 28mph winds on the slope here in VA when I got tired of sloping. Wings usually handle wind quite well; sure they can get bounced around a little when things get real choppy...but they always seem to stay in the confort zone.

I would HIGHLY suggest staying in winds 10mph max until you get your understanding of the superfly (and any plane)...then as your confidence goes up...so does your willingness to leave the fuselage planes at home on windy days and grab your wings.

Just conned the wife in to getting one to 'fly with me'...pray 'the bug' bites her.

I am out for the next 24; holiday weekend!

Best to all,

--C
Apr 14, 2006, 04:59 PM
Once again, a big thank you to all for helping me spend money!! Just ordered my "Superfly"............
Apr 15, 2006, 03:39 PM
Thread OP

It is finished!

I finished my superfly and I can not wait to maiden it. The wind is blowing at about 20mph right now and I want to wait unitl it is a little calmer to send her up for the first time. Here is a pic:
Apr 15, 2006, 06:07 PM
Which way is up?
Pritchard,

Nice looking paint job! Good luck on the maiden.

ChuckD2,

Thanks for the reply. I've flown my hellraiser when every body else (except my son with his supermiss) at the club was sitting and watching due to wind. I'm not familiar with wings so wanted to make sure the superfly could handle the wind. My son's fixx is a stock motor system so can't take much wind.

Jim
Apr 15, 2006, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Wind calmed down for ten minutes and it flies great. I need to work on the D/R a little. I have it at -50 for ailerons and elevator. I think it needs more throw.

Chuckd2, what are your rates on?
Apr 16, 2006, 06:40 PM
Pritchard,

My rates are on 130%...and I have a touch of expo dialed in; most of my other fliers have little or no expo...but I have found on the superfly 'mushing out the controls a little' makes it that much more fun.

A good tip for more throw...move your clevis' down one more hole towards the elevon...I have mine down to the second hole from the bottom and my elevons come up to about 75-80 degrees on high rates.

Working the throttle and the elevons with the right CG...you can do a 'sweep the sky' maneuver.

I also have adjusted my 'elevon/aileron differential' to get the rolls really crisp.

Talk soon!

--C

Quick Reply