Apr 26, 2006, 07:45 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Good suggestions gentlemen.

Yes, the TE is thicker than it needs to be and now square. This was necessary in order to laser cut it without having to put yet another thickness of balsa into the kit. Each type of wood means an additional handling by the laser cutting staff which means more cost. Adding a 3/16" laser-cut TE would be prohibitively expensive. Sanding left to the user was the obvious choice.

Pre-sanding with a jig is a great idea for those with the time to make up the jig. Hand-sanding can be done carefully if you take your time. Personally I use my razor plane to take off about 75% of the material that needs to be removed making sanding easier. Protecting the ribs with masking tape also helps.

As for gussets, if you like you can add them but be very careful of extra glue they add. The gussets don't weigh much but the glue sure does. I don't use the gussets and so far haven't had any durability problems, although the new airfoil it thinner, and I haven't had a whole season on the new wing yet so we'll see. So far so good, but if you're the cautious type feel free to add them.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2006, 11:11 PM
High Roller designer
Thread OP
Getting very close now, the electronics are next......Impact
Apr 27, 2006, 07:54 AM
4.1 oz. That's terrific!
Don't wake up that old dog!
John
Apr 27, 2006, 10:04 AM
Gustavo Exel
118g is indeed an incredibly low weight.

My RTF non-AG Gambler weighs 175g and I was happy with that! Where does all the weight savings come from? Iīm pretty sure I built mine quite light!

Edit... oh, thatīs without the electronics. Ok, now it makes sense.

118g
+10g rx
+10g servos
+30g battery
=168g
Apr 28, 2006, 06:26 AM
founder of the SSP
I can't wait for the wing kits to be available. I'm still flying my original Gambler+. It's held up so well that I never built the second one I bought. I plan to build it with the new wing when they become available.
Apr 28, 2006, 08:38 AM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
I can't wait for the wing kits to be available. I'm still flying my original Gambler+. It's held up so well that I never built the second one I bought. I plan to build it with the new wing when they become available.
Might be better off selling it if it is still wrapped up and then buying a new AG. Just a thought.

Scot
Apr 28, 2006, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscarawa
Might be better off selling it if it is still wrapped up and then buying a new AG. Just a thought.

Scot
Not so easy to sell a dlg. Because of it's size, the shipping charge would be $30 to $50 plus the cost of the box itself. I've had my Gambler for sale for a few months and have had no takers locally. Maybe I'm just asking too much, but I believe that the completed airframe cost should at least be worth what the kit costs. Apparently most buyers don't see it that way. Then again most people in my area are electric flyers.

http://home.comcast.net/~gldrgidr/#gambler
Apr 28, 2006, 05:39 PM
John,
That's a beautiful Gambler. Looks like you have a removable launching peg in an aluminum sleeve. Is that right?

Hey, why don't you drive down here and lay on the world's whitest sand beach a few days, visit the Naval Air Museum (There's a new IMax film). Bring the Gambler with you and I'll buy it.
John

P.S.You'll also get to see me in person.
Apr 28, 2006, 06:42 PM

Launch height of Gambler-AG

Hi,
Has anyone measured the launch height of the new Gambler-AG?
Paul Daniels recorded 122' on the QFII. I was able to get 114' with a DL50.
Just curious how they compare.
Thanks,
Ray
Apr 28, 2006, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255
John,
That's a beautiful Gambler. Looks like you have a removable launching peg in an aluminum sleeve. Is that right?

Hey, why don't you drive down here and lay on the world's whitest sand beach a few days, visit the Naval Air Museum (There's a new IMax film). Bring the Gambler with you and I'll buy it.
John

P.S.You'll also get to see me in person.
The launch peg is the standard that came with the kit - OK I'm not the best photographer.
With the price of gasoline the way it is, I'd have to win the lottery to drive to Florida.
Apr 28, 2006, 09:57 PM
Once again I am a little confused about the wing configuration, this time with respect to the wing locator dowel arrangement.

In the kit, I have what appear to be two wing locator dowel supports. The plans and the (step 17) instruction picture only show one support. Moreover, the instruction picture appears to show a hole in the wing spar to locate the aft end of the dowel. My spar does not have a hole and I would not expect to have that feature at such a stress point (wing spar center) location.

What I am inclined to do is locate the 2nd dowel support immediately in front of the wing spar, thus providing a 3 point support for the dowel (including the LE Kevlar wrapping), as illustrated by the photo (parts dry fitted).

A.
Apr 28, 2006, 10:28 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Andy, I don't know if it was right or not, but that is what I did on my Gambler+.

Andy
Apr 28, 2006, 10:43 PM
High Roller designer
Thread OP
That's the way I did it AndyMac,also I found that the two balsa parts for the wing dowel didn't fit between the ribs so I just trimmed them to fit.
Quote:
kostuk Hi,
Thanks,
Ray
Allan has a Z-log thingamabob so we should be able to find out.....Impact
Apr 28, 2006, 11:16 PM
I fly low, I'm in high demand
Count me in there too doing it that way. It also took just a little sanding for the fit.
Apr 29, 2006, 04:40 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk
Hi,
Thanks,
Ray
I've measured 120' with the Gambler+ and I'm sure the AG launches higher. I'll put an altimiter in one of mine as soon as the spring weather here in New Hampshire allows. I haven't flown for 2 weeks because of a weather system that's camped over New England and had our winds in the 15-20 mph range that whole time.

Quick Reply