Apr 11, 2006, 06:20 PM
e-tailer
Thread OP
Discussion

Advanced Scale Models - Pitts Special

Searched and searched before buying this but couldn't find much info on here. Eventually couldn't resist the 199 price tag for such a big, nice looking bipe. I've always wanted a Pitts anyway.

Wings are of built up construction, and are nicely covered with something like Profilm. Fuselage is plastic (yes, plastic!) with some thin carbon stringers down each side and lightened ply formers. Cowl and spats are painted and trimmed, as is the rest of the kit.

Here's a few photos if anyone's interested, starting with the engine I chose to install. Instructions recommend a 1.20 4 stroke, so this ST G20/23 should do nicely.... Fits pefectly on the supplied mounts, and apart from the needle valve, fits inside the cowl completely. The nuts in the bulkhead are already installed, which saved me at least a couple of hours. Phew!
Last edited by electric-planes; Apr 11, 2006 at 06:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2006, 06:22 PM
e-tailer
Thread OP
Here's the fuselage as it comes out of the box. All I have done is fit the undercarriage , spats, wheels and motor
Apr 11, 2006, 06:23 PM
e-tailer
Thread OP
Should be no problem fitting out the radio bay!
Apr 11, 2006, 06:30 PM
e-tailer
Thread OP
I have quickly thrown the pieces together to get an idea of the size and weight of the thing. At the moment we're up to about 9.5 lb including all servos, receiver, motor, in-cowl exhaust; but not counting fuel tank, battery pack, switch, a couple of ailerons from the bottom wing, prop, spinner, tailwheel and pilot. I know the glue, fuel tubing, screws and pushrods do add up, but I think this is looking reasonably light for a biplane with a span of 62.5".
Apr 11, 2006, 07:10 PM
In Massive Debt
Nice looking plane youve got there. Are you sure the fuse is plastic, and not maybe fiberglass?
Apr 11, 2006, 07:32 PM
e-tailer
Thread OP
yep. Cowl is FG and the spats are plastic with FG reinforcement. The fus is definitely plastic. God help me if I bust it!
Apr 11, 2006, 08:06 PM
In Massive Debt
Hmm, interesting, Ive never heard of that before. Hope its some tough plastic .
Apr 12, 2006, 01:50 AM
e-tailer
Thread OP
Seems very rigid. I suppose a crash bad enough to write off this fuselage would also finish off a balsa, or compossite one.
Here's the link to the UK distributors temporary page
http://www.ripmax.com/catalogue.asp?page=15

Mark
Apr 12, 2006, 12:23 PM
Grumpa Tom
Mark, here is some info:

Mike G
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:12 pm

Hobby Guru

Pitts: 160 will fit. 120FS is plenty
I anticapte not really releasing that plane until March or so.

DH88 has a few on the way, more coming 30 days after.

What I know about them......

The fuselage is made from a fuel proof, hand-selected plastic that is molded to shape, including panel lines, rivets, etc...The frame that those skins go around is made from a combination of plywood, balsa, and carbon fiber rods. So, in the areas where there's not a lot of stress there's simply not much weight. Thus, our DH88 is a sold 1-2 pounds lighter than other DH88's we've seen in the size range.

But where's there's stress, like the gear mounts, engine mounts, wing, etc....this is all made using plywood, hardwood, balsa, etc. in a more conventional way. The Nacells on the DH88 are Fiberglass with heavy duty plywood framing. I think you could drive nails with the wing center section on the Comet.

Pitts is similar, wood wings, etc. but a lightweight collection of materials for the fuselage.

As far as the plastic goes, this is material that the factory spent some time researching. Test like soaking it in raw fuel, flying the planes for hundreds of flights, etc. were all performed to make sure this process would really work. I know it's a bit odd, but the end result is just super.

ASM DH88 is already being sold and flown in Australia through the ASM agent there. So, we know customers are happy with the product. The European agent has extensively tested the designs and their pilots really like them. After all of our testing as well, we're pretty confident in the plane too. The planes are simply great.

One other point on the Comet. The nacells are super easy to work with. They are removable from the wing with amazing simplicity making maintenance to the engine and landing gear/etc. easy and quick.

Both planes fly well on the engines recommended.

Mike

Apr 13, 2006, 04:08 AM
e-tailer
Thread OP
Nice one Kmot!
Not much info about, so it's nice to read something positive. It's hard to believe a 1.20 FS is "plenty" though. At an estimated 10.5-11lbs AUW and with loads of draq, I bet it really needs more. Time will tell... My ST G20/23 is about the same weight as an OS 1.0FS and the 18x8 Zinger looks "right" on the model. If necessary I can always throttle back!

Cheers
Mark
Apr 13, 2006, 06:23 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Wow, that looks really sharp. Can you use standard sized radio in a plane that size, or do you need something beefier?

Matthew
Apr 15, 2006, 08:24 AM
e-tailer
Thread OP
I'm going for JR591 (5kg) servos. 2 for ailerons, 1 each for rudder and elevator and a Futaba S148 on throttle.

Mark
May 15, 2006, 07:59 AM
Hi All

I've just brought the Pitts as well, any update on constrcution issues and more importantly flight tests ? - regards Dino
May 15, 2006, 10:06 AM
e-tailer
Thread OP
Not ready to go just yet. Demanding family is holding up progress as usual!
Cowl is now fitted, as is the tank, all servos, and on board glow unit.
I have also glued the tailplane in place, and all control surface hinges are glued.

Yet to do...
Mount silencer and cut cowl to suit.
Install receiver, switch and battery pack.
Make up pushrods for elevators and rudder.
Attach cowl, interstruts and top wing.
Check C of G, programme radio, fuel up and put on my bicycle clips!

Let us all know how you get on with yours too Dino

Mark
May 16, 2006, 05:47 AM
OK, a friend came over to check the plane out last night and this morning he rings me and....he's got one as well !

We're planning to do an intensive build on it next week over 2 -3 nights, we're confident we can knock it off pretty quick...mind you I am a notoriously slow builder but he is notoriously quick !...first time I'll be involved in a dual build !

Planning to :

- install OS 160 FX with Bisson Pitts style muffler...have a suspicion this will mean new mount and holes but will cross this hurdle next week.
- HS 645MG servos, one for each elevator half, will use lighter carbon pushrods and a pull/pull rudder, this will mean mounting the throttle servo well forward...maybe even near the firewall.
- replace some of the horns with something little bit beefier

everything else will be as per the kit...this should be an interesting exercise...I will take photos and let you know how we go...if all is well we should test fly within a couple of weeks. Regards Dino

Quick Reply