Stabilizing a T-Rex - RC Groups
Apr 11, 2006, 06:40 AM
Rekitter of fine aircraft
Discussion

Stabilizing a T-Rex

After a horrible start at trying to hover a Blade CP that resulted in my swearing off helicopters forever, I've caved in and bought a T-Rex. My main problen with the Blade was total lack of stability. I'd like to avoid the same results with the T-Rex, so I've been looking for ways to increase it's stability. Would small wheel collars on the flybar do it? How about increasing head speed (that part's easy, just turn on hover throttle and pitch trims in my 8UAFS)? Last thing, is remote gyro gain adjust worth an extra $20?

Or should I just skip it all, deal with the noise and mess, and get a Raptor 30?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2006, 06:52 AM
Suspended Account
fit the wheel collars, i did to mine and it made a HUGE difference to the handling and how it behaved in wind...........
Apr 11, 2006, 07:55 AM
I don't know, if you are having problems getting either of these birds stable, I'd say you need to research how to set them up right. Adding weight to the flybar will help, but I don't think its necessary. On the either of them, headspeed will make a difference, but with the t-rex, for example, that is just one component of stability. Watch the finless videos, over and over if you have to.

That's the big reason why I think the Blade cp is a pre requisite to the t-rex. You will learn some incremental setup skills. Its defitely twitchier than the rex, but you should be able to fly it pretty well. Even thought the rex is easier to hover due to stability and mass, things happen alot quicker once you get her moving.
Apr 11, 2006, 08:25 AM
not that it helps you much now - but for getting started nothing beats getting a Corona first before moving on to a T-Rex
Apr 11, 2006, 10:08 AM
I went from a Blade CP to a TREX for almos thte same reasons you mention. I hated the Blade.

The TREX has been just fine. I now have more than one. I have one 450 plastic frame that I have the flybar weights on. I use it mainly for flying when its windy (which is most of the time here). I have a couple of SEs which I fly when the conditions are right. I find that the heavier XL with the Flybar weights is definitely a more stable setup. If your interest is in getting to hover solidly and progress slowly (the only way that I know how to progress). There is nothing wrong with the setup.

I did add most of the metal stuff to the XL simply for durability (wel, OK, its prettier, too).

Start out with training ger on the bottom. It does two things. It keeps you from having to buy replacement parts, and it seems to add its own degree of stabilty (perhaps it lowers the CG slightly). I made mine from 3 foot lengths of carbon tubing and some wiffle practice golf balls. Don't worry about making the training gear perfect. It will take some abuse no matter what you do.

Go thouugh the videos about setting up the machine (tey are stickied at the top of this forum). They will help.

When you get to hovering -- keep it low for quite awhile about 2 or 3 feet at the most.

Good luck.
Apr 11, 2006, 10:19 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Other than occasional tail wanderings, a Blade CP should be pretty easy to fly-much easier with a lipo and an AEK.

The TREX is not twitchy at all-it is smooth and stable (although still very aggressive). You should not need to modify it in any way.

Do you have someone to assist you with getting the machines set up and trimmed? This is usually a large part of the battle, as someone already mentioned (above).
Apr 11, 2006, 10:20 AM
Its all fun
And wear a sim out! There is absolutely no question that a sim trains your fingers to caress the controls and tidy up your flying heaps.
Apr 11, 2006, 10:28 AM
FPV Enthusiast
Regarding the gyro - get a Futaba GY401 and forget about the tail. It's well worth the extra money. Anything less is less. It really is incredible how much difference it makes. Make sure you use a decent trail servo (Hitec HS56 is OK, or use a Futaba 9650 digital tail servo if you can swing it - again - well worth the extra money).
Apr 11, 2006, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem
Other than occasional tail wanderings, a Blade CP should be pretty easy to fly-much easier with a lipo and an AEK.

The TREX is not twitchy at all-it is smooth and stable (although still very aggressive). You should not need to modify it in any way.

Do you have someone to assist you with getting the machines set up and trimmed? This is usually a large part of the battle, as someone already mentioned (above).

al clem is right, the hardest part is actually flying the helicopter the first few times after you built it. first, its not trimmed, and (no offense) but to an untrained hands and eyes, it could be a handful. (more swearing could arise). the t-rex is a very stable helicopter (provided its built right). i prefer the higher headspeed for the gyroscopic effect (stabilized and smoother flight). the remote gain for your gyro is a must, gy401 is a very common one for the t-rex and works beautifully.
Apr 11, 2006, 11:15 AM
US Support / 107 Certified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem

Very true a stock T-Rex is like flying a dream compare to a blade.. But Like Ah Clem stated a blade will fly very well also, IF setup! If not then they are a handful.. And yes get a sim!
Latest blog entry: Mavic CrystalSky Mount
Apr 11, 2006, 11:30 AM
I have been amazed at the difference flybar weights make in the wind.

Also 325 baldes are more stable than 315.

Rusty
Apr 11, 2006, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustykfd
I have been amazed at the difference flybar weights make in the wind.

Also 325 baldes are more stable than 315.

Rusty

Rusty and whomever else,

Did you mount your weights outboard towards the blades or inboard against the flybar?
Apr 11, 2006, 12:05 PM
Further out, near the paddles makes the biggest difference.
Apr 11, 2006, 12:21 PM
Did anyone notice much difference mounted against the flybar as opposed to non at all?? Thanx...........
Apr 11, 2006, 01:30 PM
Further out seems smoother.

Ah Clem, my Blade flew OK, but it was tempermental, it couldn't fly in Florida if there was a slight breeze in Kansas, and all of its settings went away as the battery discharged through the flight -- constant retrimming required. It was even affected by the air conditioning coming on when I flew it in the house. It is very fragile. Its blades cost more than TRex blades (so did most other parts come to think of it), it had limited adjustability, and its tail motor had a useful life of about 2 hours. That's why I hated my Blade. I still have it -- waiting for someone to make me mad so I can give it to them.

The TREX setup is critical, but if all of the adjustments and measurements are carefully set as its being built, only the transmitter needs much work to get it flying. The actual Heli flies pretty well right out of the box.

Simulators should be required -- some sort of certification prior to be issued a license to buy a helicoptor. If you haven't got one, get one.