Apr 10, 2006, 08:21 AM
cousin Dave
Thread OP
Discussion

Thermal Duration yesterday, video for your viewing pleasure

Hey guys,
Several thermal flying buddys showed up yesterday for some spring flying. It was my first thermal duration flight of 2006. It was good to get back into the air, looking for the elusive thermals.

The video features Jon Stone flying his AVA, a 3 meter wingspan RES airplane. RES stands for Rudder Elevator and Spoiler. This airplane is extremely stable in flight.
Enjoy the video
Sailplane flying (4 min 57 sec)

Dave
Last edited by GLIDERGIDER; Apr 11, 2006 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Changed video link
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2006, 08:55 AM
Honey, I got more planes!
Great video Dave!!!

Jon, Awsome plane... those spoilers are too cool. Great accuracy on the landing too! I thought you were waaaay too high on that approach to land, but I guess I underestimate spoilers.

Dave, 17 minute flight...great spot landing...for the first flight of 2006.... great job!

Don, insanely skilled flying as always! Anyone else at the controls of that plane in that low-down close call would've been picking up styrofoam confetti.
Apr 10, 2006, 09:24 AM
You are building WHAT?
Hey Dave!

We know about Jon and his Ava, what were you flying?
Apr 10, 2006, 09:33 AM
Roll Tide
What is that? Flight of the Bumble-Bee?
Apr 10, 2006, 09:54 AM
cousin Dave
Thread OP
Gary, Thanks for the comments. The 17 minute flight was not my first flight of yesterday, rather my last. Also, Larry Owen, the cameraman, gets a big thanks for helping me spot thermals on the 17 minute flight. He's really quite good at seeing thermals.

Jim, I am flying a Grand Esteem. Its used, and yesterday's flights were maiden flights for me. I bought it in January, and just got around to getting it in the air.

UAGrad, Yes that is the Bumble-Bee
Apr 10, 2006, 10:26 AM
ghee-grose, thanks for the compliment. That was not my best landing. That is one BIG spoiler. 36" long.

Thanks Dave for putting that big fat LSF V title up there. Now I have to live up to the title.

The end of the video showed only the tamest of Don's flying Sunday. I didn't know a rudder/elevator plane could do that kind of stuff. Wow!
Apr 10, 2006, 12:12 PM
cousin Dave
Thread OP

You earned it, wear it with pride.

You are the man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStone
Thanks Dave for putting that big fat LSF V title up there. Now I have to live up to the title.
Apr 10, 2006, 08:35 PM
Nice Dave
Apr 11, 2006, 07:48 AM
Dave, nice job on the editing. Interesting effect on the slow-mo after the toss.

"wear it with pride."
Oh I do. I just don't think about it most of the time. Just not a thing in the front of my consciousness.
Apr 12, 2006, 05:26 PM
Dave

Sweet video! Real nice edit job, and I'll second Jon's thought on the launch.

Larry O

Quick Reply