This thread is privately moderated by exempt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 08, 2006, 12:05 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

My Terry

I am constantly amazed by this model! I have had at least one Terry (we're talking the Graupner Terry here in case anyone was lost) in my hanger for at least 5 years now. It has to be one of the best designs out there! It flies as majestically as a 3 meter sailplane, it's fast and agile if that's what you want out of it, and is quite easy enough for an absolute beginner. Now how many models can we say that about? Superb design is what it's all about, the wing itself should be in an art gallery. I now have two, one with the regular speed 400 equipment and one with an Astro 020 Direct Drive five turn motor, amazing performance with the Astro, literally out of site in like say....10 seconds. Glide forever and power back up for a rocket like catapult up to 1000 ft. or so in seconds! OK, it's obvious I like this model, but you can't take my word for it, do yourself a huge favor and get one of these gems, their cheap and the bang for the buck can't be beat. Don't say I didn't worn you though, you will most likely become a Terry addict.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2006, 10:00 AM

terry

I love mine too. I just wish they could make it out of something like Elapor so that it could take a little more punishment. I can land it on pavement OK, but I only have one spot where I can do that. Mostly I have to land it on open fields and one tall stick of dry grass and it breaks the wing mounting. Its getting heavy from all the 5 minute epoxy. Otherwise it is a wonderful plane!! With the stock motor what battery do you use. I have the stock 6 cell nicads and get maybe 5?? minutes. Any 7 cell (If that is ok) nimh that will fit and balance and give longer run times?
It is a wonderful design! So clean.
LannyG
Apr 08, 2006, 11:42 PM
Thread OP

Terry cells

Well it's great to hear from other terry fans! As far as batteries are concerned the Terry is one of those models that can use a huge variety of packs. With that said I almost NEVER use a 6-cell pack with ANY 400 application, it's just not enough power and flight time is seriously impacted. You would be much better served by a 7 or even 8 cell pack in just about any 400 application, especially in the Terry. Some of the packs that I use in my Terry (both brushed and brushless) are as follows:11.1v, 2100 mAh Lipo
12v (10 CELL) 1100 mAh 2/3A NiMH by HECELL
8 cell NiMH 1050 KAN
11.1v 1900 Lipo

Not all of these packs will allow the Terry to balance perfectly, but you will find that the terry really doesn't mind to be nose heavy and I don't need to adjust for any of these packs other than in-flight trim, while this may not be optimal it is very easy to compensate for once you get use to it. I would highly recommend Lipo batteries as they allow HUGE gains in flying time AND performance, you will notice more power with these packs. I do still enjoy the hardiness of the NiMH and even the "old" Nicads as they can take a huge beating as far as charging is concerned but the Lipos really do have it. With any of these packs you will notice longer run times and more power (remember a speed 400 is very comfortable with 8 or even 10 cells) As far as balance is concerned it will be very close so it shouldn't take much to either physically compensate for it or just trim for changes if it's close enough.

Best regards,
Scott
Apr 09, 2006, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exempt
Well it's great to hear from other terry fans! As far as batteries are concerned the Terry is one of those models that can use a huge variety of packs. With that said I almost NEVER use a 6-cell pack with ANY 400 application, it's just not enough power and flight time is seriously impacted. You would be much better served by a 7 or even 8 cell pack in just about any 400 application, especially in the Terry. Some of the packs that I use in my Terry (both brushed and brushless) are as follows:11.1v, 2100 mAh Lipo
12v (10 CELL) 1100 mAh 2/3A NiMH by HECELL
8 cell NiMH 1050 KAN
11.1v 1900 Lipo

Not all of these packs will allow the Terry to balance perfectly, but you will find that the terry really doesn't mind to be nose heavy and I don't need to adjust for any of these packs other than in-flight trim, while this may not be optimal it is very easy to compensate for once you get use to it. I would highly recommend Lipo batteries as they allow HUGE gains in flying time AND performance, you will notice more power with these packs. I do still enjoy the hardiness of the NiMH and even the "old" Nicads as they can take a huge beating as far as charging is concerned but the Lipos really do have it. With any of these packs you will notice longer run times and more power (remember a speed 400 is very comfortable with 8 or even 10 cells) As far as balance is concerned it will be very close so it shouldn't take much to either physically compensate for it or just trim for changes if it's close enough.

Best regards,
Scott
Scott
I happen to have a TP 3s 2100 lipo. Do you cut out more space on than front bulkhead so that you can get the battery in??? I can just barely slide the stock 6 cell nicad in there. But I couldn't use the stock motor anyway with the lipo, because the built in ESC wouldn't have the correct cutoff voltage. So what brushless motor and ESC do you like?
Lanny
Apr 11, 2006, 12:55 AM
Thread OP
I setup my Terry with the battery pack slightly behind the canopy opening (see photos) Actually this is the way it WAS setup when I bought it used from a friend, seems to work well this way and just wedges in nice and snug (shown with the lipo 2100 and a 1900) I really am impressed with the Astro 020 brushless, amazing power from such a small motor (see photo for size comparison to a speed 400) it is heavier than a normal 400 but the batt being back farther compensates for this heavier weight. Also you can see where I had to add some foam to make up for the smaller diameter of the Astro motor, very easy to do though and I just used a bit of epoxy in there. With a 5 or 6 inch prop on this motor with the 2100 lipo I can hold the plane straight up and give it full throttle and just let go, it goes right up and out of my hand, that's how powerful it is. I can fly to "speck" height in SECONDS and then just glide, so this way the pack seems to last forever, I have had 25-35 minute flights this way. As far as ESC's I use either Jeti's or Castle Creations exclusively, I like both the same. I use a 35 amp for the 020 motor but you could probably get away with a 25. You will also see in the photos my solution for the weak wing bolt area, I made a simple balsa "Gusset" and glued it in with epoxy, I have yet to have any problems with this area since.

Scott
Apr 11, 2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks EXEMPT! Very helpful. Your ideas have put new life in my Terry. I just gotta wait until I can spring for the motor and ESC. What prop are you using? I really like the folding props. How else would they survive the Terry's belly landings? Also it soars so nicely.
Thanks again,
Lanny
Apr 12, 2006, 01:26 AM
Thread OP
Great lanny, I'm glad I was some help! One of these days I'm going to build a Terry entirely out of fiberglass and carbon fiber, hollow moulded wing, the whole bit. Graupner really should do this, it would be the icing on the cake for what I believe is a classic. You know props are a funny thing, it all depends on the motor AND plane combination, so many different variables. You're correct about the folding props though, it's really the only way to go with a "belly-lander" like the Terry. I have used NON-folding props on the Terry but it's a hit-or-miss situation on the landings, most of the time you're OK, but sometimes it just hits wrong and your out a prop. I have always liked the Graupner (there's that name again) folding props, if you've been around electric stuff as long as I have you'll know that Graupner was one of the original pioneers in electric flight, they KNOW electric, and have a HUGE following in Europe. The 6x3 CAM Folding Prop is a great prop, I have always liked this prop on the speed 400's BUT on the Brushless motors this prop SHINES! This is the BEST prop I have tried to date on the Astro 020 AND the Mega brushless 4 turn (which I have in a different model) It really surprised me with the amount of thrust it produced with it's relatively low pitch. This has much to do with the high RPM's of the brushless allowing for max thrust with no loss in "prop wash", with a low AMP pull and still achieving maximum from what the prop was designed for, thus giving optimum thrust for the prop at the desired HIGH RPM'S. Simply put this prop was ahead of it's time when it was introduced since brushless motors were barely heard about. the Hobby-Lobby stock # for this prop is: GPC06031 (just make sure you get the correct collet size for whatever motor you're buying it for) The Graupner Scimitar props could also be used as a substitute but I'm guessing that they will most likely pull a few more amps since they have a little more surface area it looks like.
This is great fun talking about the Terry, I also use mine for aerial photography, it really makes for a great camera platform! Something else to think about! Also, I have to ask, where in the world is "Angels Camp"?, I'm in Rhode Island, USA.

Best regards,
Scott
Apr 13, 2006, 12:19 AM

terry

Scott
Thanks for the info. That 6x3 is what comes stock right? It works well, is pretty quiet compared to others, looks nice, and it folds right away. It looks like you don't have that entire forward ply bulkhead. I guess it works OK. I'm going to do those mods as soon as I can. I've been spending alot so I'll have to wait a bit before getting a brushless. I know people have modified it for ailerons, but I'd like a factory aileron version. Something well engineered.
I can explain Angels Camp for you. Have you ever been to this crazy state? I'll 'splain it to you. The big ol' Sierra Nevada mountains run along the eastern border. Up to 14,000 plus. Tahoe and Yosemite and Mt. Whitney are in the higher country. Running along the 1300 to 1400 foot elevation contour is highway 49 in the foothills. This is where the gold washed down to what was the big goldrush in 1849, hence the name. Most of the mining camps were named after the guy who established the camp. Frank Angel and his brother started Angel's Camp. The gold is what got California growing. San Francisco got going as a port of entry to get to the gold fields. Which led to Samuel Clemmons (Mark Twain) coming as a reporter and writing his first successful short story, The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County. It takes place in Angels Camp. At the old hotel a couple hundred yards from my house. I fly in the parking lot of Frogtown. (The Calaveras county Fairgrounds). Its the Annual Frog Jump that celebrates Twain's story.
Johnny Carson used to always have the winner on his show.
Anyway its a good place to fly. Pavement or grass.
I just realized it takes me too long to answer a question.
Oh well...
LannyG
Last edited by LannyG; Apr 13, 2006 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typo
Apr 23, 2006, 04:46 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Getting back to my Terry after it has sat in the attic for about a year.

Plan on running a 4T mega 16/15 and hopefully a 6" folding prop with a 3S Lipo. I have the 1320 and 2100 TP packs and hope it will balance with the smaller of the 2 packs.

After reading an issue in MAN I tried to glass the model not with the usual .50/.75 cloth. I streached womans pantyhose over the model and made a heck of a mess. The pantyhose might work with epoxy or the likes, but definetly not WBPU.

I noticec there is no firewall for the model? The Mega pushes in very tight but I have to wonder if it will stay in there.

Thoughts?

Tommy D
Apr 23, 2006, 11:19 PM
Thread OP
Hi Tommy, That Mega will be great in the Terry. It should balance with the smaller pack since the Mega is heavier than the spec speed 400, the 6" prop should be perfect. I also tried "glassing" a Terry wing but soon realized that the added weight was detrimental to my desired outcome, it doesn't really need that much extra reinforcement and with just a couple of well placed and well adhered lengths of reinforced strapping tape on the bottom of the wing I was more than ready for fast dives and high-G maneuvers. You should have no problems with the Mega staying in the nose with just a little epoxy on the sides and a "bead" around the front of the motor it won't go anywhere. I have tried so many different motors in one of my Terrys that the nose is somewhat chewed up from pulling different motors out of it, so I have made a lite ply "trim-ring" for the front that just encircles the front of the motor to give it some more meat to hang onto when I glue that bead around the front. I am still determined to make an all glass Terry, I have started seriously researching information on building molds (lots of info!) it's a dream so I have to do it. When the plug is finally done I will give you and Lanny a prototype of the finished product (since making just one would be ridiculous after all that work!) And considering I can't sell them because it's NOT my design. But it will be fun I'm sure and then I can move on to my own designs after that.

Scott
Apr 24, 2006, 12:08 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Scott

I got a 5T comming for the Terry so I should be able to keep the Amp draw down to around 20 with a 7" folder. Or so I hope! Not that the model will see much on the WOT scene.

Might you have a photo of your servos and arms? It looks like you have to really shorten them so they dont interfear with each other. Having only R,E control I figured I needed a LOT of throw and the short arms are going to kill that!

Ill make some kind of mount for the mega, or heck some strapping tape might even work!

Had I used the .50 cloth the model would be a LOT lighter. But before I go through that trouble on the wing I think some heat shrink covering would work a LOT better.

When I get it together Ill post some photos.

Tommy D

P.S. Bring on the glassed terry!
Apr 24, 2006, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
Yes you're correct the servo arms don't have much room and I was worried about the same thing but I found that if I used the maximum length allowed for the space and I used the outer most hole on the arms and the inner most hole on the control surface I was OK and I had enough throw. There are ways however to maximize the length for a tight space, here's something I found that works well and I have used this configuration a few times. Also I wanted to mention that I HAVE covered a Terry wing in Monocote and it DID turn out very good! Amazing strength and it looks nice too, just be sure to use a VERY low heat setting!

Scott
Apr 24, 2006, 11:38 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Scott

Interesting servo setup. Perhaps on the Terry if I set one Servo higher <stock location> I can use the long control arms. I do like the fact your servos are rotated and the arms are 90 degrees.

The Terrys C of G is on the Nylon wing bolts and should be balanced with the model NOT inverted?

Tommy

Quick Reply