Apr 07, 2006, 05:14 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Build Log

Peter Rake 1913 Hanriot Monoplane

When I agreed to build the Baboon prototype for Peter, I weakened and also took on this little 36" monoplane. My preference is for larger, more robust models (you'll see why later ) so this was a bit of a departure for me.

I have no information how this aircraft looked - no old photos from the 'net (plenty of the earlier Hanriot flyers) so I decided to wing it - I expected the covering to be clear doped fabric, woodwork varnished and the engine cowl looked as though it would have been hand-formed aluminium.

The original engine was probably a small rotary of some sort. I am sure someone will advise me of these details

The model is 36" span, will probably weigh well under 10oz and is quite petite!
I am overpowering it somewhat with a small bell outrunner (I stole it from the 48" Eastbourne) but will fuel it with a small 2S lipo. As usual with Peter's small designs, there are no ailerons (the Hanriot was a wing-warper).

No, this is not a super-fast build - the model is waiting for its test flight - I built it at the same time as the Baboon - mostly while waiting for my Litespan order to arrive

The model is from a prototype short laser-cut kit from Charlie at Manzano Laser works.

So on with a quick little build description.

Pat
Latest blog entry: 2019 Already.....
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2006, 05:28 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Fuselage Construction

The fuselage is bog-standard (sorry Peter) Rake. A delicate rear end of 3/32 square balsa (firmish) built flat over the plan. I used medium CA on all the joints. My original intention was to make the model light enough as an indoor flyer for a local meeting and used very light 3/32 square. Bad idea The little Hanriot has suffered juvenile osteoporosis ever since!

The front section is from 3/32 sheet and liteply and is quite straightforward. The only difficult bit is getting the firewall at the correct angle to set the down and side thrust. (Peter - check the plan - the firewall/motor position differs between side and top views). I used a small bevel set at two degrees and tacked the firewall, F2 with CA until I was sure it was right then lightly epoxied it.

A couple of bass or spruce strips will support the U/C later.

When all is well, the front and rear parts can be glued together over the plan checking both top and side alignment.

Pat
Apr 07, 2006, 05:45 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Tail and wheels

The tail parts are quite simple but the laminated bowed outline may be new to some. I used a method described in this forum some time back - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413296.

The former is 3mm depron and I used 3 lengths of 1mm balsa 3/32" wide (mixed units!) CAed and microwaved after. The internal framing parts are 3/32 sheet to match the laser parts. The elevator halves are joined by a 20SWG wire U piece - pin the elevator halves flat while this is epoxied into holes in the elevator.

These items were hinged with 3mm wide pieces of CA hinge material. I cut the hinge slots now when I can repair clumsiness, rather than waiting 'til it's covered

The spoked wheels could be obtained from a toy of some sort - they are only 50 mm diameter. I decided to make them as I usually do and I think I wouldn't make them any smaller - my temperament and eyesight were at their limits!
There are several threads on wheel making, these are typical:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408971
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186335

I used plastic PVC pipe and 20lb kevlar fishing line. The tyres are 8mm sponge rubber cord CAed into a circle.
Pat
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Apr 07, 2006 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Added tyre description
Apr 07, 2006, 06:12 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Wings and things

Wing construction is simple - there many ribs - all of different sizes for the tapered wing. I made the single main spar from hard 1/8" balsa - Peter has specified Bass but I didnt have any! It is tapered along its length and fits through slots in the fuselage sides, gluing to a dihedral setting former F4. The slotted TE is supplied with the short kit. Small balsa blocks are fitted to the heavier rigging ribs to support the rigging.

I forgot to sand of all the black laser-charring (again ) and this black shows through the inevitable cream Litespan.

The motor was mounted to a disc of 1/8" ply and was epoxied to the firewall. The thickness of the disc or the exact position of F2 should result in the motor having sufficient clearance inside the cowl. I stuffed it! The carved balsa cowl had to cut away at the front and a different ply nose plate(?) fitted to cover the resulting hole. But it worked out! You need to know the motor to be used before you start.

The top of the fuselage is 1/16" sheet cut to form a cockpit and coaming. Servo access is through this coaming.

Remember also to fit the small strengthening blocks for the pylon legs to glue into.

Due to the stuff-up with the engine fitting, I didn't get a photo of the fuselage top prior to covering - sorry!

The two servos were mounted on hard balsa strips, CAed to the fuselage sides. The servo arms were set in line with the tailplane as the cables must pass freely above and below the tail.

Pat

Pat
Apr 07, 2006, 06:38 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Cowl covering and undercarriage

The Undercarriage arrangement is quite complex - 2 skids and 3 frames plus the axle and wheels. I used bamboo skewers, bent after immersion in hot water and allowed to dry. The 20SWG wire frames were bent as per the plan and tied to the skids with heavy black thread. A spot of thin CA secured them in place. The wire frames will be bound to cross-pieces under the fuselage after covering is done.

The nose area was covered with LighTex silver shrink covering material. I had never used the metallic finishes before and had several goes before doing it in five sections. Compound curves need more practice!

I do not know if this area was in fact aluminium but its shape, and the fact there is a rotary (or radial) engine unerneath suggests that it would be!
But it looks ok anyhow

That'll do for tonight.......Pat
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Apr 07, 2006 at 06:51 AM.
Apr 07, 2006, 06:47 AM
wouldn't be surprised if it was just a twin cylinder horizontally opposed engine.

Al looks good though..they would have panel beaten that out of thin sheet.
Apr 07, 2006, 07:16 AM
North East England
Looks great so far Pat, especially the nose area. I've got this plan (Peter kindly included it as a 'freebie' when I bought some other plans off him a while ago) so I'll be following your build with great interest - I love the graceful tail on this model.

I'm just waiting for another two back-issues of mags to arrive, with plans for the Castaibert IV and 1913 Deperdussin (don't need to say who the author is, do I!). The Castaibert has skids similar to your Hanriot and I was thinking of laminating them from strips of 1/32" ply, but your bamboo option looks really good.

Steve
Apr 07, 2006, 09:18 AM
Neophyte hacker
Nice work Pat!

I have used white or cream/tan spray paint to color laser cut ribs before. Did I say that I hate sanding That's how I am going to do the SRE I am working on now.

I know why you like larger models, after seeing the pics of your flying field

charlie
Apr 07, 2006, 12:40 PM
Pat,
If I recall correctly, it's 7 cylinder Gnome ( or similar) rotary. Probably around 50 hp.

As regards the misaligned formers, OOPS!!! That'll teach me to check that top and side views are actually in line (after moving to suit the paper size) before taking a line direct from one to the other. I'm gussing that they were to begin with, but that I didn't check again when I changed the motor shown - direct drive 300 to 300XT outrunner. Consider that corrected, sorry.

I can see how you'd have trouble fitting your motor, it's both longer and greater diameter than the 300XT. Even on 2 cells, it will have an awful lot more power too.

From what I remember of the three view, you have the metal areas just about right.

Pete
Apr 09, 2006, 03:55 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Covering

With all parts completed, the frame can be carefully sanded - I said carefully!
Again, I managed to break a longeron by holding Hanriot's little bones too tightly . Everything to be covered can be given a coat of Balsaloc and allowed to dry. All parts were covered in Cream Litespan (of course) - leftovers from the Baboon project. (I must order some more cream Litespan )

Also seen in the parts photo, is the 1/64 ply coaming, varnished and ready to fit. I substituted ply for the balsa shown on the plan as it stains so much better. This area being varnished wood is also a "flight of fancy" but earlier Hanriot planes were of the "canoe with wings" variety to varnished wood seemed ok!

The undercarriage uprights have 1/4X1/8 balsa struts attached to them. I filed a groove in the strut LE and CAed them to the wire. They will be epoxied when attached to the fuselage. Another small item of note are the four little wire loops soldered to the undercarriage front and rear legs for anchoring the wing rigging.

Pat
Apr 09, 2006, 04:08 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Whoops!

Just to prove I am as big a klutz as the next bloke - here are a couple of photos taken after covering, with the tailplane lightly epoxied squarely to the rear fuselage and the pull/pull servo cable being installed.

Apart from being good pictures of the horns and cable connections, they also show what happens if you squeeze an aluminium crimp too hard!!!

pichang!!.......... or a sound similar and where did the broken plier jaw go? - of course it did

I seem to have a thing about tail feathers

Pat
Apr 09, 2006, 05:28 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Dummy Motor

The first picture shows how the undercarriage was fastened to the fuselage. The holes for the thread binding were made before covering. The binding was strong black button thread with a drop of thin CA applied.

The engine is very basic - I made no effort to super-detail this one! A piece of 1/64 ply is glued around the laser-cut semicircular parts. The only addition was a valve push-rod from thin brass wire. Painted matt black with silver dry-brushed on.

Peter - a note could be added to the plan to check that the dummy motor will fit. I had to trim a couple of discs off the two side cylinders - they were wider than the space between the fuselage sides.
Apr 09, 2006, 07:38 AM
Jody Bradshaw
Looking great there Pat!

Wish I could build that fast.

Jody
Apr 09, 2006, 11:39 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Getting it all together

Here are a few more shots of the more-or-less finished plane.

Variously, the pictures show the dummy rotary engine installation (only 4 of the several cylinders), fixed to the firewall. The wing rigging pylon, servo installation and undercarriage arrangement.

The hatch is 1/64 ply with a tab on each end. To remove or replace it is arched between thumb and forefinger and sprung into place.

The wing rigging is my usual 20lb kevlar (I have to use it I've got about a zillion miles of it ) and al crimps. Only two runs were made - one for the front fixed rigging, and one for the dummy rear warp rigging.

The undercarriage could have had the wires disguised but I was trying to keep it simple - maybe a brown permanent marker would cover up the silvery wire on the legs.

The axle is 1.5mm CF rod with tiny hex nuts epoxied on the ends to secure the wheels. Standard collars would look gross at this scale! The axle is bound with black thread and lightly epoxied. Make sure the axle is exactly square with the fuselage!

Control surface rigging is shown with its nylon tube exits through the Litespan. The hidden rudder connections are exactly the same arrangement.

To be done - a pilot (with swivelling head? ), and maybe a racing number - assuming this machine was involved in the inevitable pre-WW1 racing scene!

All-up-weight with 750ma 2S lipo is 9oz. No doubt it could be less with a smaller motor.

Now waiting for some maiden weather again!

Pat
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Apr 10, 2006 at 01:01 AM.
Apr 10, 2006, 06:18 AM
Looks great Pat..

Perhaps a bouncing pilot?? Rigged to some sort of cam action device on the axle - Would be fabulously scale trundling down the runway.

Quick Reply