Jul 04, 2002, 11:21 AM
Thread OP

Foam cuttin help needed... My pieces bend after they're cut...

I posted this in Foamies already but couldn't seem to get an answer so I thought I would give it a try here...

I'm trying to cut 2 x 1/2" pieces out of a 1" thick Owen's Corning pink foam.

It works but with some issues... Every time I cut the pieces, they bend (see picture). How come this is happening ? Wire too hot ? Cut too fast or too slow ? I've tried to reform them to straight shapes but the "banana shape" still get back.

Please help, I've seen many peoples doing this on the forum and they were able to get perfectly straight pieces.

Thanks for the tips...

to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2002, 11:29 AM
Suspended Account

maybe...

I have had the same sort of thing happen .. I reduced heat and cut slower, that helped...

It's the pink foam right? The best thing you could do is to first cut like 1/8 or 1/16 off of each side... it seems the skin provides more tension than any part you cut, thus causing it to bow like that.
Jul 04, 2002, 01:43 PM
Arbo.... that seems like a great idea.. make same type cut on Both sides of slab and the bending forces should Null each other out for a straight , usable piece ......great idea.......... kw
Jul 04, 2002, 02:04 PM
Thread OP

it worked !!!

Arbo, thanks dude, it worked !!!!!

I took a 2 " block, remove 1/16" on eache side (covering) and was able to do a big bundle of perfectly straight 1/4"sheets !!!

Thanks so much !

Fred
Jul 04, 2002, 02:50 PM
Suspended Account
Not a problem, glad you got some straight pieces....

Quick Reply